Bunch of misc 2020 questions

Still researching 1/2 tons. I really want the AT4, but the more I read the more I question.

1. Is the 2019-2020 5.3 still prone to weak lifters?

2. Does the ten speed transmissions still have shifting issues like the 8 speed?

3. Most importantly, how bad is the brake issue? Have read that the brakes can go? Thought I read that it might be a computer problem? Have many or any 2020's had problems or has this been resolved?

4. Whats the highest mileage DFM 5.3 (2019-2020)?

5. Does the switch on the dash that releases the tail gate automatically shut while the truck is in motion? I could definitely see me reaching for my 4-ways/flashers and accidentally hitting the tail gate release.

6. No one can still answer if the key fob can be turned off so i can stashed it in the bed without having someone be able to open the doors, start the truck and drive away? posted this before ?

Is anyone could shed light on ANY of these that would be great. thanks

1. I haven't heard if 5.3's having a lifter problem. It's the 6.2 that I've always heard had the lifter issues

2. No the 10-speed is amazing

3. Mostly I've only seen the brake line monitor counting down to fast. The other things I've seen have all been computer issues. The recall that's out there is for the previous generation

4. Do you mean fuel mileage or miles driven?

5. If the truck is in gear it won't release the tailgate

6. I have not seen any setting that would "turn off" the key fobs. Also, wouldn't you need them active to open the tailgate since it's push button release?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, mistaare said:

2. Does the ten speed transmissions still have shifting issues like the 8 speed?
6. No one can still answer if the key fob can be turned off so i can stashed it in the bed without having someone be able to open the doors, start the truck and drive away? posted this before ?

2.  still?  Have you seen a post about shifting issues in the 10speed?  I have not.

6.  I supposed you could remove the battery from the fob and tape it up under the lip of the bed.  Then put the battery back in when you need to use the stashed fob.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mistaare said:

I wrap a spare fob in aluminum foil and stash it somewhere outside. has worked in every vehicle with a proximity fob. I haven't seen any options to "turn off" a fob.

2 hours ago, ddanis60 said:

I wrap a spare fob in aluminum foil and stash it somewhere outside. has worked in every vehicle with a proximity fob. I haven't seen any options to "turn off" a fob.

That’s great to know. Just the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks!

• Like 1

Why would you want to stash the whole fob on your truck and not just the second door key...  Another technological invention overcomplicating simple things like a physical key. There are probably apps and stuff for you young pups to unlock your truck by your phone, until your out of the service area like rural Canada. Funny how Ford has had keyless entry since 1995. They must have a hell of a patent on that one... 

39 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Why would you want to stash the whole fob on your truck and not just the second door key...  Another technological invention overcomplicating simple things like a physical key. There are probably apps and stuff for you young pups to unlock your truck by your phone, until your out of the service area like rural Canada. Funny how Ford has had keyless entry since 1995. They must have a hell of a patent on that one... 

GM has had key pad access available as an accessory for quite some time.

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Because I do alot of whitewater kayaking and rafting, I always (well most kayakers) just hide their keys in/around their vehicle when they are on the water instead of risking losing or ruining a key fob. 

Can you start the truck with just the key itself or do you still need the key fob?

if you are insinuating that I am young pup,,, THANKS, pushing fifty, more along the lines of "great googly moogly, these young whipper snappers and their new fangled technology,,,,"? 

On 10/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, BringTheRain403 said:

1. I haven't heard if 5.3's having a lifter problem. It's the 6.2 that I've always heard had the lifter issues

2. No the 10-speed is amazing - thats what it seems, glad you are under the same impression

3. Mostly I've only seen the brake line monitor counting down to fast. The other things I've seen have all been computer issues. The recall that's out there is for the previous generation

4. Do you mean fuel mileage or miles driven? total miles driven

5. If the truck is in gear it won't release the tailgate whew, good to know. 

6. I have not seen any setting that would "turn off" the key fobs. Also, wouldn't you need them active to open the tailgate since it's push button release?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalkx

thanks for your input!!!

18 hours ago, ddanis60 said:

Why wrap it in foil? For less than $7 you can get an RF blocker pouch you can use on a cell phone or to block signals from a keyfob; Glue attach or hide it in a storage location and it is shielded from the weather and can rapidly be accessed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Radiation-EMF-Protection-RF-Signal-Blocker-Bag-Mobile-Cell-phone-Case-Pouch/153404437104?hash=item23b79df270:m:m81AlIYfGvBzPwotCgFWnoQ

I do a lot of bank fishing and don't like carrying my keys with me in case I'm a bonehead and somehow inadvertently pull them out of my pocket and drop them somewhere along the bank. On my previous trucks I'd just throw the keys up under the rubber bed mat and leave it at that but with the 2019's FOB I was worried like you if leaving it in the bed would be a problem. I started placing them in the gas door area and found that in order to activate the buttons on the door handles to unlock the truck you had to have the FOB in hand. Not sure if its a motion thing but it seems that the truck may be able to sense if the FOB has been in motion (proximity sensor?) before it will allow an unlock. In any case I picked up a 3M hook at Lowes and stuck it in the top of the gas door well for simplicity and now just hang them on the hook.

IMG_3648 (1).jpeg

Edited by robsieb

2 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Why wrap it in foil? For less than $7 you can get an RF blocker pouch you can use on a cell phone or to block signals from a keyfob; Glue attach or hide it in a storage location and it is shielded from the weather and can rapidly be accessed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Radiation-EMF-Protection-RF-Signal-Blocker-Bag-Mobile-Cell-phone-Case-Pouch/153404437104?hash=item23b79df270:m:m81AlIYfGvBzPwotCgFWnoQ

Because for less than .02, I can use foil and it’s a just as effective faraday cage. And it works. Plus it’s readily available. 

to be a little more clear, I generally remove the little metal door key from whatever fob, hid the metal key in a magnetic hide-a-key on the outside. Then stash the foil-wrapped  fob in the cab. It works. 

3 hours ago, robsieb said:

I do a lot of bank fishing and don't like carrying my keys with me in case I'm a bonehead and somehow inadvertently pull them out of my pocket and drop them somewhere along the bank. On my previous trucks I'd just throw the keys up under the rubber bed mat and leave it at that but with the 2019's FOB I was worried like you if leaving it in the bed would be a problem. I started placing them in the gas door area and found that in order to activate the buttons on the door handles to unlock the truck you had to have the FOB in hand. Not sure if its a motion thing but it seems that the truck may be able to sense if the FOB has been in motion (proximity sensor?) before it will allow an unlock. In any case I picked up a 3M hook at Lowes and stuck it in the top of the gas door well for simplicity and now just hang them on the hook.

I have a custom so I do not have the keyless entry, but my wife's grand cherokee does.  Not sure if the GM vehicles are the same, but her mirror lights will flash when you are close enough to unlock.  Only noticed because I was washing it with the fob in my pocket and the lights kept flashing.  If GMs do this, it could give you an indication of where you could hide it.