Performance mods for 37s

6 hours ago, Frankielozano214 said:

I got 24x14 with 37s 13.5 24
(I had to cut the bumper more)

C43C4594-0B4A-45AC-AED2-D832FE6A6344.jpeg

They say if you do mostly city get 4.88s and 4.56 if you do highway. I recently added a 2 in leveling kit to fix that issue. 4.88s are bad im pretty quick off the line and still retain about 12 to 16mph on the road depending on red lights and other cars. I also got a diablo intune i3 to fix some issues caused by the calibrator that was put on my truck. Interstate i can hit 85 easy just gets sketchy with these big tires

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silver_rado said:

They say if you do mostly city get 4.88s and 4.56 if you do highway. I recently added a 2 in leveling kit to fix that issue. 4.88s are bad im pretty quick off the line and still retain about 12 to 16mph on the road depending on red lights and other cars. I also got a diablo intune i3 to fix some issues caused by the calibrator that was put on my truck. Interstate i can hit 85 easy just gets sketchy with these big tires

I would say 4.56 jus a little lower rpms im runnin almsot 3 grand around 80 or so

Edited by Silver_rado

In regards to revealing the 9.76 rear end. Gear sets taller than the 3.73 will not fit on the 9.76 carrier. However, you can Go down to a 9.5 inch carrier and then use the taller gears that are made for the 9.5. At least, that was my experience when checking.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:11 AM, Darksky said:

In regards to revealing the 9.76 rear end. Gear sets taller than the 3.73 will not fit on the 9.76 carrier. However, you can Go down to a 9.5 inch carrier and then use the taller gears that are made for the 9.5. At least, that was my experience when checking.

Yea thats where its get expensive. I say buy a tuner first then see how you like it. If you dont then spend the cash

4 hours ago, Silver_rado said:

Yea thats where its get expensive. I say buy a tuner first then see how you like it. If you dont then spend the cash

That's what I did. I'm not going to regear my truck with 37's.

I went with a Superchips Flashpaq F5 tuner. I mostly got it for the speedometer correction but it does a lot more. It don't add much h.p.(maybe 15-18 on the 92 octane tune, at most but with the Borla catback exhaust it's probably more like 22-25 h.p.) but it did wake up the 5.3 at 3000 rpm and up. It did make the truck a lot more drivable. 

My truck is mostly a mall crawler and I'm not racing anyone so it's just fine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

That's what I did. I'm not going to regear my truck with 37's.

I went with a Superchips Flashpaq F5 tuner. I mostly got it for the speedometer correction but it does a lot more. It don't add much h.p.(maybe 15-18 on the 92 octane tune, at most but with the Borla catback exhaust it's probably more like 22-25 h.p.) but it did wake up the 5.3 at 3000 rpm and up. It did make the truck a lot more drivable. 

My truck is mostly a mall crawler and I'm not racing anyone so it's just fine.

Yea wish I would've done that. But oh well you live and you learn

22 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

It's up to you Frankie.
How do you like it the way it is?
Do you have 3.42's?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah I have 3.42’s (that’s what my buildsheet says) it’s not bad but wish it would pick up alil faster, maybe after i install the exhaust and get a cold air intake 

39 minutes ago, Frankielozano214 said:

So not worth the regearing?

In my opinion no but I never tried a tuner first which would have adjusted my settings. I went on forums and listened to people who said regear or your truck is not going to last long. I talked a gm mechanic friend who told me dont do it but it was to late. Look at it like this $400 for a tune which you can easily take everything off your truck without any worries versus $4500 and you changed the mechanics of the truck which it will be harder to go back stock due to the higher gear ratio. Im no expert just trying to pass my experience along to others. At the end of the day its your truck your money

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Silver_rado said:

In my opinion no but I never tried a tuner first which would have adjusted my settings. I went on forums and listened to people who said regear or your truck is not going to last long. I talked a gm mechanic friend who told me dont do it but it was to late. Look at it like this $400 for a tune which you can easily take everything off your truck without any worries versus $4500 and you changed the mechanics of the truck which it will be harder to go back stock due to the higher gear ratio. Im no expert just trying to pass my experience along to others. At the end of the day its your truck your money

Damn I do see your point, might just hold off on regearing. Thanks for the info 

Damn I do see your point, might just hold off on regearing. Thanks for the info 
Just so you know I have never heard a single person till now regret a regear once the truck is lifted. I also have never heard of someone spending $4500 for it to be done. The most I have seen is $3000 or the parts for $1200 and do it yourself. Regearing actually brings the vehicle back closer to stock. When people bring a lifted truck into the dealership shop myself and the other mechanics make a comment about how we hope the owner was smart and got a regear especially if on 37s. Tunes won't really do anything to help because of the lift and larger tires, except getting the tire size tuned in. You can't actually tune away the negatives brought on by the lift and tire size.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bash74 said:

Just so you know I have never heard a single person till now regret a regear once the truck is lifted. I also have never heard of someone spending $4500 for it to be done. The most I have seen is $3000 or the parts for $1200 and do it yourself. Regearing actually brings the vehicle back closer to stock. When people bring a lifted truck into the dealership shop myself and the other mechanics make a comment about how we hope the owner was smart and got a regear especially if on 37s. Tunes won't really do anything to help because of the lift and larger tires, except getting the tire size tuned in. You can't actually tune away the negatives brought on by the lift and tire size.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

lol I didn’t regret it (haven’t had time to get it done) , I’m just gotta hold off for now til I get some more spending money. I know a guy that does it locally close to Fort Worth for about 1500$ so i might give him a holla before I actually cut it out literally. Thanks for the info though definitely want my truck done right to were it doesn’t wear parts faster (transmission) then expected 

Edited by Frankielozano214

On 3/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, Silver_rado said:

Yea eventually imma tune it

Brother you realize you have to get it tuned.. your truck still thinks it has the old gears and original tires on it! Lol I’m sure that like me you felt no difference what so ever with just adding the gears.. if anything it lags more.. you computer has to be told it can work better now because there is different equipment.. without a tune your transmission is technically miss-shifting and your losing power. I’m going through the tuning process right now with a custom Lew tune and a diablo tuner.. aaaand you’re not going to grenade your tranny now either so that’s a BIG plus! Lol I’m on 6’s & 7’s too just an inch or two higher.. you will not feel or see any difference till you get it tuned.. my boy has same truck, same wheel/tire size and same mods (regear, intake and cat back) but he has had it tuned and it is night and day driving his truck vs mine.

Edited by CovetedStyle