Logical tire question

I’m in the market for new tires for my truck and it’s between the ko2 and Duratracs. It’s been beaten to death which one is better. Frankly my conclusion is they are pretty similar.

However what I don’t hear is how much better they each are over the stock wrangler sras. The reason I ask is that if both are a big step up in traction (for me snow and rain) over the stock set then it doesn’t matter what I choose. I bring this up because the duratracs( my first choice) are sold out in 275 55 20 nationwide and if I can’t get them I’ll just go with the ko2 especially if they are that close. 

any thoughts? 

My dads got two sets of KO2's and both are a terrible to balance. It usually takes ride matching the tire to the wheel each time to get a DECENT ride. Both sets are the same size you're looking for. I'd look for the duratrac in a different size and just stick with that. Do some reading up on the KO2 balancing issue. My dad was shocked when he did... After the fact chasing this vibration hes had.

• Thanks 1

Just ask yourself... When the snow starts flying no one can keep them (duratracs) in stock. Sold out across the country. What does that say to you about a product?

Btw.got mine on September. Here in Colorado we just got hit with a 3 day storm and they've proven themselves in less then 2 minutes of driving today in snow frozen ice roads at 10 degrees F.

I said to myself i should have got these tires on day 1.

capisci?

I don’t think you can go wrong with either.  Seems like opinions are pretty much 50/50 split between the two.

I have the Duratracs in 265/70/17 and they’ve been decent.  Good in the snow, not over the top noisy, but they have developed a bit of scalloping wear on the inside edge.

I’ll probably get 40k out of them running them year round.

My next set will be the KO2s just to see the difference first hand.

The duratracs with definitely get some cupping if not rotated religiously and they do tend to wear out faster then a lot of other l terrain tires. The Toyo at2 is a quiet, long lasting, great traction tire option as well. They rarely wear funny and are basically as quiet as your high end highway tire. I've worked for a tire repair facility for over 13 years and would recommend the Toyo over the duratracs for year round performance. I don't have any personal experience with the bfg, besides all the die hard bfg fans being upset with the poor tread life of the new ko2. The toyos are rated at 65k in a p-metric. The duratracs will get you better snow traction for the first 50% of their life, but I found mine to be horrible after that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Have you considered the falken wildpeak at3w? I had duratracs in 275/55-20. No doubt they are great tires in all conditions. They got annoyingly loud by 30k miles so I swapped them out for falkens. So far the falkens are slightly better on snowpack and ice. Awesomely smooth and quiet as well! 

Happy with my K02 LT tires. Only gripe is they like to grab any and all rocks then project them down the side of my truck when getting up to highway speed. But I think that's most M+S tires with deep lugs.

BFG makes 2 different tread compounds. Softer (has the 3 peak symbol on sidewall) and harder longer wearing tread for HD diesels. I've read the harder compound does help with tredwear but does not do as well in snow and ice.

I have the 3 peak softer compound. Have 20k on the tires and they have plenty of life left. 

• Like 1

I have the Duratracs and they were a huge improvement over the SRAs. I got the stock 20" size and have about 45,000 miles on them. I rotate every 5,000 as I got them at Discount Tries and they do it for free. I still have 11/32" tread left. They have gotten louder but not bad. I like the p-rating over the KO2 10 ply for the softer ride. I will be getting another set when these ware out. If all goes well I should be getting almost 80,000 miles out of them. Getting an alignment once a year helps also. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure what state you live in but you should get your alignment checked at least twice a year. Some shops will sell you a year warranty with your alignment so you can have it checked and adjusted as many times as you want. Next time you get an alignment, call around for a reputable shop that offers the warranty. If your in the northern Indiana or Michigan area Belle Tire offers a 1 year warranty alignment for $115. Our machines are calibrated twice a year and are top of the line Hunter's.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Got 42K miles on my KO2's, rotate regularly like stated but they are getting louder now. Same 20" tires, in D range keep fronts aired up to 45PSI and rear at 42PSI all year - they are wearing in great here in MI. The stock GY's where junk at 25K

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GMCSierra99 said:

I have the Duratracs and they were a huge improvement over the SRAs. I got the stock 20" size and have about 45,000 miles on them. I rotate every 5,000 as I got them at Discount Tries and they do it for free. I still have 11/32" tread left. They have gotten louder but not bad. I like the p-rating over the KO2 10 ply for the softer ride. I will be getting another set when these ware out. If all goes well I should be getting almost 80,000 miles out of them. Getting an alignment once a year helps also. 

Good insight. Thank you!

On 10/31/2019 at 12:29 PM, Spendit said:

Got 42K miles on my KO2's, rotate regularly like stated but they are getting louder now. Same 20" tires, in D range keep fronts aired up to 45PSI and rear at 42PSI all year - they are wearing in great here in MI. The stock GY's where junk at 25K

I have 40k on mine. I run a 45-50 psi and rotate around 5k miles.  I’m hoping to get another Winter or 2 out of them, depends how many miles I drive I guess.  No issues balancing them.  Great traction in snow, ice, and mud.  I’ve never gotten stuck.

• Like 1

I just bought a set of these.  

They had a flash sale of $80 off. Add that to the $60 rebate and they come out to $185 per tire before tax, mounting, and balancing. 

No experience with them yet as they just arrived yesterday. I read good things though. Some say they are an improved version of the Duratracs. Time will tell. 

Edited by nominion

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, nominion said:

I just bought a set of these.  

They had a flash sale of $80 off. Add that to the $60 rebate and they come out to $185 per tire before tax, mounting, and balancing. 

No experience with them yet as they just arrived yesterday. I read good things though. Some say they are an improved version of the Duratracs. Time will tell. 

I will be looking into these as well when my Duratracs wear out. These are exclusive to Discount Tires I believe. Will see what the reviews will say in a couple years. The UltraTerrain almost look like a cross between a Druatrac and KO2.

Edited by GMCSierra99