Oil filler tube, neck or whatever.

Hey guys.

Has anyone found a tube that will work on our years?

I've only changed my oil a few times and it's a royal pita compared to how easy it was on my two previous Silverados.

It's annoying and makes no sense that they omitted it on these trucks.

I saw one guy bought one and tried dremeling it but apparently didn't work out too well.

I'd settle for one that I could use as a funnel then remove it.

I bought a flexible funnel and it's a piece of junk.

Not only is the accordion part going to hold oil but it looks like it's going to split at every flex spot not to mention the flimsy way it connects to the actual funnel part.

If anyone has found one that'll work, even temporarily, please let me know.

Thanks.

Following...

Can't stand filling the oil on these things...it's like a delicate balancing act every time I pour that oil into that funnel, low on that valve cover. I've tried fitting a filler neck from a 2004 Tahoe...doesn't fit. I use a long tranny funnel now, it's not ideal.

If you buy the oil in 1 quart bottles you can get a bendable hose like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DX2MSB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and fit that on your bottle. Unfortunately for me it doesn't fit the new "easy pour" bottles that valvoline just put out and it wouldn't fit the old style ones either, same for mobil-1. 

I am really keeping my eye out for a funnel like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RTLUPVC/ref=psdc_15708811_t2_B07DX2MSB4 but would really want one where it just has a rubber hose on it so you don't have to fight with trying to clean out the little ribs on the neck if you want to change fluids with the funnel.

edit: I tried to see if I could snatch one off another vehicle that had it like my moms Buick but all the other engines I noticed had a single slot where the cap is held in with and our engines have 2 slots that you need to use for holding the cap on.

Edited by kickass audio

Keeping with the theme, and not to interrupt discussion about filler tubes, has anyone found a user friendly dipstick?  I cannot check my oil without a step stool.  Thankfully, I don't find the need to check often, but it could be a more user friendly task.   I wonder if these annoying design features (filler/dipstick) may be a gentle nudge to discourage DIY maintenance...

Here is my installation of a Dorman oil fill neck. I had to modify it with a Dremel and a shop knife. It seems to work pretty good for me so far. I don't have many miles on it yet however. I've not been driving my truck as my daily driver in quite some time so it sets quite a bit.

small.20190929_095908.jpg.6ced95659c509a

small.20190929_095709.jpg.f7628683165395

small.20190929_095604.jpg.b9f3a47c2e5fd3

Edited by Eddie 70
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I got the Dorman and modified it and installed works great. Only issue I have now is the factory cap the now goes on top of the Dorman neck fits tighter then the Dorman tube. So when I take the cap off to add oil the whole tube spins.
Any ideas to make the tube stop turning as easy so I can remove the cap only?
Thanks

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk