Difference between GM's performance CAI's for the 2019 6.2L- 2 PN's now

Trying to find out what the difference is between the two PN's that GM now has on their site for my 2019 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L. The first one I've had in my cart for a while, PN 84789804, however there is now another one with no noted differences on the website, it's PN is 84789794. Anyone have any info?

Trying to find out what the difference is between the two PN's that GM now has on their site for my 2019 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L. The first one I've had in my cart for a while, PN 84789804, however there is now another one with no noted differences on the website, it's PN is 84789794. Anyone have any info?

What I’ve found out is:

84789804 is for 2019 ONLY

84789794 is for 2020 and above

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/performance/2019-sierra-1500-air-intake-performance-62l-engine/84789804-p-92301745.html

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/performance/2020-silverado-1500-air-intake-kit-performance-cold-air-62l-engine/84789794-p-92306054.html

18 minutes ago, SARNCAN said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wonder why, even after I put in my VIN on the accessories.gmc.com site, that both models show up. I did place a call to the local GMC dealer parts, they said they had to reach out to the regional rep to find out. Sounds like it's just a mix up on the site. Least the 2 inch lift is showing up as available now.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wonder why, even after I put in my VIN on the accessories.gmc.com site, that both models show up. I did place a call to the local GMC dealer parts, they said they had to reach out to the regional rep to find out. Sounds like it's just a mix up on the site. Least the 2 inch lift is showing up as available now.

Probably some mods that GM have maid on the truck and the fitment have changed, just guessing.

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Look into the AFE Momentum GT, more dyno proven performance than the GM intake and most likely cheaper. 

I had one of those for my 2018 and while nice, the GM performance one comes with a new tune for the truck. Have any links to the dyno results between GM performance intake and the AFE?

2 hours ago, Mstorm18 said:

I had one of those for my 2018 and while nice, the GM performance one comes with a new tune for the truck. Have any links to the dyno results between GM performance intake and the AFE?

GM 15hp + 9tq with GM Borla exhaust and GM canned tune. 

AFE Momentum GT 25hp + 19tq no tune 

http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

If adding an intake truly got 25hp, why wouldn't they do that from the factory??

Those dyno graphs in that article just seem wrong. Since when has a 420hp crank horsepower engine only produced 291hp at the wheels. No way drivetrain loss is that high. A 130hp loss through the transmission and rear end is crazy. A 20% loss that is pretty standard for an auto transmission would put it around 330-340hp at a tire.

Also why is the correction factor for every intake different? The ambient temps and air density for each intake is within like 1% and 3-4º. I'm not a dyno expert but that just seems fishy.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:56 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

GM 15hp + 9tq with GM Borla exhaust and GM canned tune. 

AFE Momentum GT 25hp + 19tq no tune 

http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

So if I look at the AFE Momentum GT for my 2019 rig. There are 2 styles. the Pro 5R and the Pro Dry S. The only difference being that the 5R is oiled and the Dry S obviously isn't. Any reason not to go with the oiled version? I ask because that is the only version that Amazon carries and is $74 cheaper than anyone else.  AFE sells both for the same price from their website, $462 . On my 2018, I went with the Dry.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, CamGTP said:

If adding an intake truly got 25hp, why wouldn't they do that from the factory??

Those dyno graphs in that article just seem wrong. Since when has a 420hp crank horsepower engine only produced 291hp at the wheels. No way drivetrain loss is that high. A 130hp loss through the transmission and rear end is crazy. A 20% loss that is pretty standard for an auto transmission would put it around 330-340hp at a tire.

Also why is the correction factor for every intake different? The ambient temps and air density for each intake is within like 1% and 3-4º. I'm not a dyno expert but that just seems fishy.

Test's were done with a Yukon Denali, I drove a 2019 6.2L with the 10 speed the other week and it was noticeably slower than my 15 DCSB 8speed with 33's. I would assume they have more parasitic loss with the independent rear suspension and CV set up. As far as air temps go, as air is drawn through the tight orifices of the filter can heat up a degree or two, depending on the microns of the filter. Not saying that is the explanation, but it could be a contributing factor. I highly doubt the turned the heat up on the shop's furnace for the brands they don't like. They sell all the kits used in the testing. The key to the power is the timing, AFE caused advanced timing more than the others. If you have spent some time around a tuner or dyno, you will know that a few degrees of timing can make huge differences in power, more so in boosted engines but it hold true for NA.  

OP, I would go with a dry filter as I have heard oiled filters can mess with the MAF sensor readings. My dry filter has never sparked a code, you can also get a filter cover or pre cleaner which is just a bag to help keep the filter cleaner if you are in a dusty area, I have one but never put it on. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

you guys need to get access to a flow bench, the dyno tests are all bullshit.  , I bet the oem 6.2 intake pipe with an enlarged airfilter opening on the airbox will flow the same as all the aftermarket high priced  parts

Maybe, but in this case the aftermarket parts are cheaper than the OEM 'performance' parts. So unless you source a box from a wrecked 6.2L you are going to get aftermarket cheaper. Most supercharger kits come with their own in house CAI routed in the OEM location, if the factory box was any good why would they go and do the R&D and the cost to produce their own rather than utilizing the stock box? Probably because it doesn't flow that great compared to other designs. GM designs the airbox mostly to be quiet and efficient, performance gains for pickups is an afterthought if a thought at all. Blackbear is a pretty reputable tuning company with no stake in AFE Performance so I doubt they were trying to manipulate results, but it is possible for sure. Maybe I should set up my 6.2L's OEM intake system in my 5.3L to see if there in any difference, but probably a huge waste of time.  

I've had HP Tuners for 8-9 years now, been tuning engines for a while now. Just never had a dyno to use, so that's why I question why the correction factor is different for each run.

It can't just gain magic timing either if the tune remained stock, the air density is the same and the ambient air temps stayed the same.

Who is requesting more timing, surely not the truck because nothing changed other than the type of intake system put on the truck. I agree that timing can add power but timing can take that power away just as fast. At a certain point timing no longer add power, it flat lines or removes power because it now senses knock retard and pulls it away.

The tubing is still the same diameter at the MAF housing because if it was way different it would never run correctly. Having a smaller or larger MAF housing would cause it to report more or less air being sucked in, leading the computer to add or remove fuel to get it back to normal.

Also the yukon used in that test is a solid rear axle just like the half ton trucks. They run the same engine/transmission and transfer case that could be found in a 6.2 powered silverado/sierra. The drivetrain loss should not be much different at all.

In no way is this a argument with anyone, just trying to get some things talked about. The more I look at it the more I feel that part of the power gain is because the more the vehicle is ran the more things get easier. The hotter the engine oil got, the less the engine has to work to move it. Same with the transmission temps and gear oil temps. Also the aftermarket intake do create a smoother air track into the throttle body.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Thanks 1

"The tubing is still the same diameter at the MAF housing because if it was way different it would never run correctly."  and there you go guys, just put a twist in everyones panties after they just spend $400 on a CAI.. 

you mean it's still has the same  diameter restriction as the factory unit? haha. yup.  same flow as the OEM intake guys, only thing missing is the resonator. which I believe improves the MAF function

by the way, any of you tuners ever delete the MAF completly from the ecu and run it on density sensor without any issues? 

Edited by flyingfool

That is something often done on 99-07 trucks because those computers can handle it with ease. The 07.5-13 trucks can have the MAF removed because many operating systems offer a speed density upgrade but it's not as common.

The newest 2014+ computers make it hard to run speed density only.