Plug behind license plate

As mentioned earlier, might be the Trailer Tire Pressure sensor....  I have 2 boxes plugged in back there....   

IMG_20191113_144650.thumb.jpg.49b2d9b86f0e8d5f587424365ed3f29d.jpg

I’m still trying to figure out how GM is using made in China, Mexico and now just spotted made in UK. Lol, our trucks have become the Melting Pots

Sent from Above

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’m still trying to figure out how GM is using made in China, Mexico and now just spotted made in UK. Lol, our trucks have become the Melting Pots

I case anyone is wondering, the part from UK, on the right, is indeed the TPMS sensor for the trailer.  The China made one across the middle is the keyless remote entry antenna.....  

Google is cool.

2 minutes ago, oldmann said:

I would say it is the coax for the trailer view.

Confirmed that is the trailer camera plug.  I bought the trailer camera port & plugged it in, hoping the dealer could program it to work, but apparently even though the wiring is there, dealer can not add the camera package after the fact...pretty disappointing.

Just now, 2k19Sierra said:

Confirmed that is the trailer camera plug.  I bought the trailer camera port & plugged it in, hoping the dealer could program it to work, but apparently even though the wiring is there, dealer can not add the camera package after the fact...pretty disappointing.

Dealer needs to use the proper words... they say "cannot" what they really mean is "don't want to"   :)

This is interesting - so if they provided the wire for the trailer camera, then they probably have the wiring in the front doors/mirrors for the side view cameras. just need to figure out is WAMS or somebody can re-program for us :)

1 minute ago, Chris Callanan said:

Dealer needs to use the proper words... they say "cannot" what they really mean is "don't want to"   :)

This is interesting - so if they provided the wire for the trailer camera, then they probably have the wiring in the front doors/mirrors for the side view cameras. just need to figure out is WAMS or somebody can re-program for us :)

haha correct... They did say they technically could, though it would require an entire new radio & wiring harness, video module, etc...  I was pretty interested in having them add this so i pushed them for a quote & they said it could be 3 - 5 thousand dollars!  long story short, get the $ 295 trailer camera package when ordering the truck if you want these features...

And yes, i took my mirrors apart to change the caps to colour matched & looks like the plug is in the mirror as well, at least on my truck.. 

I'm willing to bet a lot of that is smoke and mirrors (pun sort of intended) - If one end of the wiring is there, why wouldn't the other end be there? :)  I think it is purely a SW change....

The one wire that is probably *not* there on the SLT is the front Camera wire - it is my understanding that the unit can only support 3 camera - 2 sides/trailer....  

Now if that wire is there, I would totally be willing to give up the trailer connection for the front view.....

54 minutes ago, Chris Callanan said:

I'm willing to bet a lot of that is smoke and mirrors (pun sort of intended) - If one end of the wiring is there, why wouldn't the other end be there? :)  I think it is purely a SW change....

The one wire that is probably *not* there on the SLT is the front Camera wire - it is my understanding that the unit can only support 3 camera - 2 sides/trailer....  

Now if that wire is there, I would totally be willing to give up the trailer connection for the front view.....

yea my thoughts exactly.  They really just would rather not do it.  would have been nice to have more camera options but oh well.  thats what happens when you take a truck from the lot i suppose!  Still loving this truck, huge upgrade from my 2013!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was also curious about that unused connector and found this thread.  Then with a little more searching found a place that has lots of options to add front, side, bed, and/or trailer cameras that will work with the factory 8" infotainment system. They claim no dealer programming needed.   hmm.. interesting. https://camera-source.com/2014-17-gm-front-and-side-camera-kit-for-8-display.html