Heavy Duty Window Cleaner

So,

The previous owner of my recently purchased 2018 z71 had one of those perforated vinyl window decals that covered the entire rear window. It came off very easily with no noticeable residue leftover..

That is, until I was driving home the other day and the sun must have been coming in at just the right angle, because I happened to look in the rearview mirror and saw a few faint red bars in the middle of the of the window (it was one of those firefighter american flag decals).

I tried alcohol with a bit of elbow grease, no luck.. goo gone, no luck..

My guess is that the heat from the rear window defroster must have somehow adhered the color/dye from the decal when the previous owner turned it on?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated for a good window cleaner would be much appreciated!

Edited by mistermcgoo

I used ammonia and water to remove window tint adhesive (along with the tint media itself).

Not quite as flammable as gas/Goof Off and really doesn't dissolve anything it might get on in the back seat.

Thanks for all of the input..

I actually found a bottle of spray Goof Off I had laying around, still no luck.

Snowcamo, I’m think I may have to give the razor blade a shot.. though I’m a bit apprehensive. Can it damage the glass in anyway?

I’m guessing the reason it’s been so difficult to get off is because I’m thinking it’s not adhesive that I’m dealing with, but some of the color from the vinyl decal that got burnt on the glass somehow.

Snowcamo, I’m think I may have to give the razor blade a shot.. though I’m a bit apprehensive. Can it damage the glass in anyway?

I’m guessing the reason it’s been so difficult to get off is because I’m thinking it’s not adhesive that I’m dealing with, but some of the color from the vinyl decal that got burnt on the glass somehow.

You do not use the end of the razor blade you use it like a scraper so flat Edge across the whole window as l86 stated you can break the ends of it to make things little bit more comfortable. But yes if you were to use the end of the razor blade you would dig into the window. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2019 at 4:43 PM, mistermcgoo said:

Is there any actual residue on the glass or is it more of a shadow?  I rely on 3M adhesive remover for any tough jobs, but the stuff is pretty caustic.

52 minutes ago, royalkangaroo said:

Is there any actual residue on the glass or is it more of a shadow?  I rely on 3M adhesive remover for any tough jobs, but the stuff is pretty caustic.

No actually residue. It’s more of a reddish shadow.. maybe I’ll have to try the 3M. You would think the manufacturers of those vinyl window decals would heat test them so this doesn’t happen..