6L80E thermostat delete sure-cool cooler kit

I was curious is anyone has used the below thermostat delete kit. I know it can be done with tapping the external block and plugging it but this looks like a cleaner install.

STL010_web__53614.1541542737.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

https://globaltransmissionparts.com/6l80-6l90-sure-cool-cooler-flow-system-stl010/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw4jvBRCJARIsAHYewPPeHymu9JxSg2wnFVJhAmrMpteZhT3TLNEgu10Qz1dLDMP5qPkGJsQaAv59EALw_wcB

Looks like a cool kit but wanted to get some feedback if anyone has used it. 

Edited by Jdezee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You do know you can just flip the "pill' upside down and do the bypass for free, right? 

I have seen the videos of flipping the thermostat, I guess most have success with just flipping the thermostat in the housing?

• 3 months later...

I tried the thermostat flip but couldn't get the end cap off after removing c clip. It was still on the truck so I will have to try again when I have more time & take the unit off & get it on the workbench. There was a fair bit of corrosion on mine.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So please school me on the thermostat mod. If I understand correctly, the easiest and still reversible way to do it is just to flip the "pill" inside the box. I watched the video above and seems pretty simple. But by doing that, does the trans fluid always circulate through the condenser or radiator and that's why the fluid stays cooler? Is there any downside to doing this, say if I want to tow a trailer, will the trans still stay cooler than if I counted on thermostat to work properly? And finally, can I do this without removing the bolt to get at the clip to pull out thermostat or do I have to remove that bolt to get enough clearance? Thanks...

So please school me on the thermostat mod. If I understand correctly, the easiest and still reversible way to do it is just to flip the "pill" inside the box. I watched the video above and seems pretty simple. But by doing that, does the trans fluid always circulate through the condenser or radiator and that's why the fluid stays cooler? Is there any downside to doing this, say if I want to tow a trailer, will the trans still stay cooler than if I counted on thermostat to work properly? And finally, can I do this without removing the bolt to get at the clip to pull out thermostat or do I have to remove that bolt to get enough clearance? Thanks...
The end cap / clip is facing up towards the engine, I removed the securing bolt & took the lines out of the retaining clips which allowed the block to turn down for access to the c clip, mine was corroded & I couldn't get it out. A couple of table spoons of oil dripped out when taking the bolt out.

2014, 5.3, 4x4, work truck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyk101 said:

As for the temperatures, it does not change the maximum cooling capacity of the system. You would need to get a bigger trans cooler to lower the temperature under the maximum load. However, the average trans fluid temperature will be lower because it goes through the cooler at all times regardless of the internal temperature of the transmission. For someone like me who does a fair amount of short trips it would mean longer trans fluid / transmission life.

When you are planning to do this mod check if you have active grille shutters (I believe it's a standard feature starting from 2017 model year). Those will help to warm your engine and transmission up quicker in winter and basically eliminate the need for a transmission thermostat (think: another point of failure).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyk101 said:

How cold your climate gets should a direct relationship to how useful removing the trans thermostat is.

Basically everybody in cali, texas, and florida should remove it day one, everybody in alaska should never even think about it.

• Like 1