Heads Up Display (HUD)

I am not sure but it really doesn’t do much anyway. If I knew that before, I would not have wanted it. For instance there are no turn signal icons on it just speed, direction, a distance-based car spacing “safety” view and navigational turns if you use the internal NAV only, not CarPlay nav. It also shows music selection but only for a second then the name of the song and artist disappears. I would give it 1 star out of 5. 

• Like 1

I love it on my wifes car and when I had my vett,  Showing the speed and  navigation up coming turns, I no longer have to look down at my dash.  Makes it so nice when driving, I'll have it set to speed pretty much fulltime and one of the reasons I chose GMC over Ford for my new truck. I always had gm cars and moistly Ford  trucks in the past.  Be the first time in a GM truck. Hud, the cameras, and upgraded payload  is what sold me on this truck. 

7 hours ago, Sam De La Cruz said:

I just purchased a 2020 Sierra AT4 Carbon Pro. Everything is great. I just cant figure out how to turn on the HUD. The only way I get.is is if I go to  configuration but as soon as Inexit, the HUD goes away from the windshield.

There should be buttons to control brightness and such to the left of the steering wheel.

The manual lists a bunch of settings and views available for the heads up display. 

(I'm still in an '18, so don't have a HUD,  but have been reading up...and am interested in what features are really available...)

Head-Up Display (HUD) 

If equipped with HUD, some information about the operation of the vehicle is projected onto the
windshield. The image is projected through the HUD lens on top of the instrument panel. The information
appears as an image focused out toward the front of the vehicle. 

The HUD information can be displayed in various languages. The speedometer reading and other
numerical values can be displayed in either English or metric units.
The language selection is changed through the radio, and the units of measurement is changed through the instrument cluster.

See “Settings” in the infotainment manual and “Options” under Instrument Cluster 

HUD Display on the Windshield Depending on how the vehicle is equipped, the HUD may display some of the following vehicle information and vehicle messages or alerts:
. Speed
. Audio
. Phone
. Navigation
. Driver Assistance Features
. Vehicle Messages
Some vehicle messages or alerts displayed in the HUD may be cleared by using the steering wheel controls. 

Head-Up Display (HUD) Rotation Option
If equipped, this feature under the Options menu of the instrument cluster allows for adjusting the angle of the HUD image and changing or turning off the Speed Limit Sign.
HUD Rotation: Press the thumb wheel while Adjust Rotation is highlighted to enter Adjust Mode.
Scroll to adjust the angle of the HUD display. Press the thumbwheel to confirm and save the setting. This feature may only be available in P (Park).

Speed Limit Style Adjustment
If equipped, the speed limit style can be changed to a speed limit bar or speed limit sign from the Options menu in the instrument cluster.
Press the thumbwheel while Speed Limit Style is highlighted to change the speed sign style or to turn it off.

HUD Views
There are four views in the HUD.
Some vehicle information and vehicle messages or alerts may be displayed in any view. English Shown, Metric Similar

Speed View : This displays the speedometer reading in English or metric units, and speed limit. Some information only appears on vehicles that have these features, and when they are active.
English Shown, Metric Similar

Active Safety View : This displays the speed view along with a driver assistance graphic on the left. 

Driver assistance graphics show your vehicle, vehicle ahead, gap setting, and lane status information.
In addition to driver assistance graphics, pedestrian advisory and trailer sway indicators will be displayed.

Navigation/Active OnStar View :This displays the speed view along with indicators for vehicle ahead, Lane Departure Warning/Lane Keep Assist, trailer sway, and pedestrian advisory.

Turn-by-Turn navigation information is shown during active route. The compass heading is displayed when navigation routing is not active.
Navigation Turn-by-Turn Alerts shown in the instrument cluster may also be displayed in any HUD view. 

Off Road View : This displays the speed view along with indicators for vehicle ahead, Lane Departure Warning/Lane Keep Assist, trailer sway, four-wheel drive status, and pedestrian advisory.

Off-road information such as pitch angle, steering angle, and rolling angle is also shown. 

On 12/5/2019 at 2:44 PM, mikemueller said:

I bought my truck w/o HUD, but it has the capability.  Anybody know if it can be turned on after the fact?  Kinda wished I had bought that.  Can it be upgraded/purchased afterwards?

Are you sure it has the capability?

I thought the HUD had a much larger opening in the top of the dash than what is there for forward collision warning dot?

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure it can be done but it’s not a simple plug and play. It’s pretty complex. Gen5diy I believe tried it in the Camaro’s and didn’t continue he because it was so intensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I love my HUD but it needs some updates.  I'm surprised more vehicles don't have one.  The last vehicle that I had that had a HUD, was a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville! The tech has been around for a while.  I just leave it on the speed setting pretty much all the time.  The off road info is useless.  The vehicle following information is especially useless since I am generally looking at the vehicle in front of me.  Also, I can't put my thumb on what it is, but I expect to see the blinker signal in the HUD but it doesn't show up there.  Only on the dash.  I REALLY wish GM would release an update so that the turn signal shows up in the HUD.  Another feature that would be nice is the audio menu.  Just leave it up there.

I love my HUD but it needs some updates.  I'm surprised more vehicles don't have one.  The last vehicle that I had that had a HUD, was a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville! The tech has been around for a while.  I just leave it on the speed setting pretty much all the time.  The off road info is useless.  The vehicle following information is especially useless since I am generally looking at the vehicle in front of me.  Also, I can't put my thumb on what it is, but I expect to see the blinker signal in the HUD but it doesn't show up there.  Only on the dash.  I REALLY wish GM would release an update so that the turn signal shows up in the HUD.  Another feature that would be nice is the audio menu.  Just leave it up there.

My 2012 Camaro had the turn signals in the HUD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i agree on the turn signals showing in the HUD, that was one of the first things i noticed , in fact i added it to the survey that i received from Chevrolet. off road info is also of no use to me

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...