2019/2020 Tow Mirror Installation

SamDSJR

Looks great.  Thanks for posting all this information.   It will help a lot that want to change out to these. 

One thing that makes me mad is that they don't power fold.  I couldn't get into my garage without folding them and having to do that manually every day would get old.  Power extend isn't needed but folding for me is kind of a must.

What is the other harness you talked about supposed to do?  Also I was told that our 2019 harness would not plug into these mirrors but looks like I was told wrong.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

Looks great.  Thanks for posting all this information.   It will help a lot that want to change out to these. 

One thing that makes me made is that they don't power fold.  I couldn't get into my garage without folding them and having to do that manually every day would get old.  Power extend isn't needed but folding for me is kind of a must.

What is the other harness you talked about supposed to do?  Also I was told that our 2019 harness would not plug into these mirrors but looks like I was told wrong.

You're welcome.

So regarding our existing harnesses plugging in, yes they do. Identical plug and play. However the factory harness does not have all the circuits for all the mirror features. That's where the replacement harnesses come in. Depending on what model you have, there are several part numbers GM has put out. They don't seem to be available though since I spent all day Friday calling around and the numbers exist, but are not available to order.

Yes, it does suck they don't power fold. However, as time goes on, we should be able to find part numbers for mirrors that do. The mirrors I bought are on the GM Accessories site, and are pretty basic. However, you can spec a new 2020 with an LTZ or High Country trim w/Tow Mirrors and it says it can have power fold, 360 vision, etc. So they do exist. They also have chrome caps on the higher trims as well.

On a side note, these mirrors fold much easier, yet still have all the tensile strength as the K2 Tow Mirrors did. When you push to fold them, the mirror makes an upward then backwards movement and folds pretty close to the truck.

I'm sure all the options will come available soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamflex said:

New here but I did find this on Boostautoparts 

site

https://boostautoparts.com/collections/wiring-harnesses/products/reverse

Planning to order these in the next couple days. 

is this harnesses your have listed that are needed? I came across this list too. 

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/images/84731241_Mirror_Retrofit_Chart.pdf

Welcome and thank you!

So the first link you posted is actually a modification for trucks that came with either puddle lamps or tow mirrors from factory. That adapter fuses together two circuits and allows those lights to come on when you backup or when you unlock your truck or turn on the cargo lamps. It does not help if you did not have puddle lamps or tow mirrors from the factory.

The second link is indeed what I need. However I finally got a hold of the right person at GM yesterday - these parts are not available yet. No location in the entire country has them yet because they aren't being manufactured. Well actually that's not totally true - the assembly plants have them for the 2020's they are currently building, but they are not yet available in the parts department.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:44 PM, SamDSJR said:

Thanks man. Yeah so I don't know why I said that. I "assumed" and sure enough - made an ass of myself. I'm thinking there are NOT turn signals in these mirrors. I see no opaque dots in the glass of the mirrors. GM probably did not put it on the tow mirrors either.

When I test drove my 2020 2500HD I was also surprised they didn't have the turn signal arrows in the mirror glass anymore. My dealer told me it was probably too bright and a distraction for the driver at night. So we tested the new mirrors and you can see the amber turn signal on the mirror's outside edge from behind the truck, but not from the driver's seat.

IMG_20190919_195313s.thumb.jpg.b74c737878fa25896a01f70abd7a046a.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SkidooSteve12 said:

When I test drove my 2020 2500HD I was also surprised they didn't have the turn signal arrows in the mirror glass anymore. My dealer told me it was probably too bright and a distraction for the driver at night. So we tested the new mirrors and you can see the amber turn signal on the mirror's outside edge from behind the truck, but not from the driver's seat.

First of all - beautiful truck. I am supper jelly.

Second - wait so are you saying your amber lights flash as turn signals on the new mirrors?

8 hours ago, SamDSJR said:

First of all - beautiful truck. I am supper jelly.

Second - wait so are you saying your amber lights flash as turn signals on the new mirrors?

Thank you. It has been a great truck so far.

Yes the mirror amber lights flash as turn signals. They also have the white LED "work lights" that shine out the front.

I picked up a new 2020 AT4 on Friday, it has the trailering mirrors, they are chrome capped.  From what I was reading I wasn't sure what power features they had.   I'm happy to report they power in and also power out with a button by the mirror controls.  They mirrors move in tandem, so both either close in or power out together.

I was worried that the mirrors would be too big, but they fit the truck nicely aesthetically / size wise.  They are a little big (blocking view)  when driving in more congested areas like parking lots or 4 way stops, but that is something I think will be fine once I get used to it.

1 hour ago, Steve Wagner said:

I picked up a new 2020 AT4 on Friday, it has the trailering mirrors, they are chrome capped.  From what I was reading I wasn't sure what power features they had.   I'm happy to report they power in and also power out with a button by the mirror controls.  They mirrors move in tandem, so both either close in or power out together.

I was worried that the mirrors would be too big, but they fit the truck nicely aesthetically / size wise.  They are a little big (blocking view)  when driving in more congested areas like parking lots or 4 way stops, but that is something I think will be fine once I get used to it.

Hey Steve. Thanks for that info. Yeah I agree they do block the view a little bit. You definitely have to be more careful than normal at 4 way stops.

And yes, your info confirms what I thought. Do you also have 360 surround camera on your AT4?

10 hours ago, SamDSJR said:

Hey Steve. Thanks for that info. Yeah I agree they do block the view a little bit. You definitely have to be more careful than normal at 4 way stops.

And yes, your info confirms what I thought. Do you also have 360 surround camera on your AT4?

Yes, it has the 360 degree surround cameras and there are cameras built into the base of the mirror mount.  There are two white LED lights built into the outboard side of the mirrors, these shine to the rear  when you activate the switch that lights up the box (includes outside mirror lights, two rear corner box lights and the white lights on the back of the cab that are on both sides of the high brake light.)