2019/2020 Tow Mirror Installation

SamDSJR

I installed the DS mirror yesterday.  It went well and everything works.  I used the kit from Boost Auto to modify the existing door harnesses.  I also used the videos that they provide for the whole process.  The only part that I have found hard to accomplish was identifying the pin/wires on the BCM plugs.  Otherwise, it was pretty easy.  When you are adding the pinned wires to the door harness plugs you just have to make sure that you are actually counting the pin locations because there are other openings on the back of the plugs that are not actual pin locations...

I ran out of time yesterday so I am driving it with one big ear and one small ear until my time and the weather line up...

I got the PS mirror done and pulled the VPM out so I can ship it to WAMS on Monday.  Once that is back, this project will be complete.

I really like the mirrors and the extra visibility, they are huge compared to the car mirrors that came stock!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

After everyone's feedback, I'm thoroughly confused about whether mirror swap is possible for my truck while maintaining the functionality that I have.  Someone on the thread mentioned that @newdude might be able to help identify the appropriate part numbers for mirror assemblies, harnesses, (and BCM reprogram?) given a VIN.  

The VIN for my truck is 1GTV9DED0KZ336714

The OEM mirrors are power, heated, power-fold, with puddle lights and forward spot lights.  No cameras.  No blind spot monitoring.  Ideally I would keep all that functionality, and be able to use the marker lights and turn signal lights that I see on the HD truck tow mirrors (or even on newer 1500 tow mirrors).  If the puddle light circuit ends up powering the rear spot lights after the swap, that's fine by me.  I'm also ok with manual extend / retract to achieve full towing width.  It's not clear to me whether any versions of tow mirrors have that function as a powered capability or not.

The parts counter at my local dealership thought all this might be possible, but wasn't sure how many supporting components (harnesses / switches) would need to be changed, or if the service department would even take on this project.

If @newdude is reading, would you be able to walk me through the parts I would need to purchase and install, and any other changes that I would need to make to my truck?  For reference, I've looked at the aftermarket (Boost Auto) but am not a fan of the T-Tap procedure they recommend for splicing into the BCM harnesses to enable running light and turn signals, and would like to avoid cutting / splicing on these harnesses if possible.

Any help or advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, SuchASweez said:

After everyone's feedback, I'm thoroughly confused about whether mirror swap is possible for my truck while maintaining the functionality that I have.  Someone on the thread mentioned that @newdude might be able to help identify the appropriate part numbers for mirror assemblies, harnesses, (and BCM reprogram?) given a VIN.  

The VIN for my truck is 1GTV9DED0KZ336714

The OEM mirrors are power, heated, power-fold, with puddle lights and forward spot lights.  No cameras.  No blind spot monitoring.  Ideally I would keep all that functionality, and be able to use the marker lights and turn signal lights that I see on the HD truck tow mirrors (or even on newer 1500 tow mirrors).  If the puddle light circuit ends up powering the rear spot lights after the swap, that's fine by me.  I'm also ok with manual extend / retract to achieve full towing width.  It's not clear to me whether any versions of tow mirrors have that function as a powered capability or not.

The parts counter at my local dealership thought all this might be possible, but wasn't sure how many supporting components (harnesses / switches) would need to be changed, or if the service department would even take on this project.

If @newdude is reading, would you be able to walk me through the parts I would need to purchase and install, and any other changes that I would need to make to my truck?  For reference, I've looked at the aftermarket (Boost Auto) but am not a fan of the T-Tap procedure they recommend for splicing into the BCM harnesses to enable running light and turn signals, and would like to avoid cutting / splicing on these harnesses if possible.

Any help or advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Boost will be your only avenue for lighting unless WAMS is still doing custom BCM programming in which they can enable those circuits most likely.  GM won't touch it because they don't offer accessory tow mirrors for the LTZ power folds.

As far as using OEM parts.  If you want power fold to work, you need the DQS mirrors.  DQS are power fold, power glass, signals, puddles, 360 cameras (which won't work on your truck) and manual extend (if I recall).  87864006 (driver and its on national backorder) and 87864007 (passenger).  Just under $700 each MSRP. 

You will also need new door harnesses.  Now this is where it gets gray as these show 2020-2021 but not for 2019 but I assume only because the tow mirrors didn't come out until 2020.  That said, 85112768 and 85112767 are the front door harnesses.  You will still need the Boost BCM harness to get whatever lights that aren't working after installing the harness.