2019/2020 Tow Mirror Installation

SamDSJR

I just came back from the dealer to ask if they've done this install and to check what their price was.  They said, on another 2020 AT4 Sierra but like my truck, they have tried and could not install the passenger side.  None of the functions work.  On that "ShopChevyParts" site listed above, it actually states the mirrors are manual extend and fold.  Also, like the parts guy said, it states my mirrors seem to have code DEZ and the mirrors are not compatible.  

Yet, I seem to read on here that someone has installed these mirrors with all power functions working on the '20 AT4 Sierra.  I'm really confused now, but did not argue with the dealer.  

Did I misread?

Edited by CProfi

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Shooterfpga said:

Just wrapped up installing tow mirrors and harnesses. I have an appointment to get it flashed.

My signals are working just not cargo and spotlight. Those of you who had them flashed what is actually working?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hi 

All of the features should and will work if the tech knows what they are doing(2020). Took my dealer three trips. Finally moved the problem to the top tech and it was programed correctly in one afternoon. That tech new what to ask, what to get and how to do the program install

Kirk

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a set of Chrome Tow Mirrors that I thought would work on my 2019 but the mounting bolt pattern is completely different. I was told these came off a 2020 1500. Here is the part numbers 84944519 84944520. These retract automatically and have the cameras and lane change alerts. Guess I should have done a little more research, if someone can use these feel free to send me a message, would be willing to do a trade deal for some tow mirrors that will fit my 19, and after reading through all this I guess I will be limited on certain functions since I have an LTZ model. .  I was able to plug in the single plug and the mirrors did retract and adjust, wish I could modify base to fit my truck. They are in great shape. 

IMG_0450.PNG

IMG_0453.PNG

IMG_0454.PNG

IMG_0452.PNG

IMG_0451.PNG

11 hours ago, TheElementalCashew said:

Those are 2500 mirrors. Those have puddle lights on the bottom, the 1500 tow mirrors don’t have puddle lights.

Thanks, wish I knew then what I'm learning now. Bit of an expensive mistake. I like the fact that the auto retract works so I'm gong to explore what it will take to modify them to fit. Also when it was plugged in the lane change alert light sequenced on, so it appears that will work as well, another feature I'd like to have. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 7:17 PM, SamDSJR said:

I just received my tow mirrors I bought on the Black Friday sale. I installed them today and thought I would share the install process and how it went.

My truck is a 2019 LT 5.3, CCSB that originally came with the equivalent of DL8 spec mirrors. The part number I ordered was for the 2020 Silverado off the GM Accessories website, 84731241. I did NOT order the new harnesses for the mirrors yet. Newdude has posted the specific part numbers and specs for the different harnesses. Power adjustment and heat worked right away. But the turn signals, clearance lamps, and courtesy backup lights did not. The mirrors came with an authorization code for programing. But I’m very interested to see if they will just work once the harnesses come in. Before I installed the mirrors I took a 9V battery and tested the pins, I was able to get the clearance lights and courtesy backup lights working. We'll find out soon enough.

Some notes I observed during the install:

1. For those who keep up with their GVWR regarding towing – these mirrors are HEAVY. Literally more than double the weight of the DL8’s. My stock mirrors came in at 3lbs, the tow mirrors were 7.5lbs each. So you are adding nearly 10lbs to your truck (or 10lbs off your payload.)
  2. The second you get the last bolt off your mirror will fall to the ground. Be ready to hold it.
  3. When installing the new mirror, there is a foam gasket from the old mirror that does not come with the new mirror. I wasn't sure if I needed it but I put it on anyway. The thin foam gasket is not the same as the harder rubber gasket that comes with the new mirror.
  4. Torque the new bolts in a criss-cross pattern to make sure the new gaskets seal correctly.
  5. When removing the mid panel trim piece, start at the pointed front and pull back as it has a hinge in the back.
  6. Good news - unlike the K2's, no drilling is required to get the mirrors installed. They use 4 bolts just like the stock mirrors did.

Here's the general install steps:

1. Remove the trim panel behind the inside door handle
  2. Remove the 7mm bolt behind that panel
  3. Remove the mid-door panel
  4. Remove the two 7mm bolts behind the mid-door panel
  5. Remove the two 7mm bolts at the bottom of the door trim panel (bottom of the door by the weatherstrip)
  6. Pull the door trim panel from the bottom, work your way up each side of the panel
  7. Grab the trim panel at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock position and wiggle it like a steering wheel to pop it lose
  8. Unplug the main door electrical connector
  9. Disconnect the door handle cable
  10. Remove the black plastic weather plug covering the mirror anchor socket
  11. Remove the mirror connector
  12. Unbolt the 4 - 13mm mirror nuts
  13. Install the new mirror and reverse the process

Here’s the finished product:

IMG_0514.jpg

So I been reading through all this because I've hit dead ends calling dealerships about getting tow mirrors for my 2019 chevy silverado custom trailboss. My current mirrors are power adjust and heated. I've been using clip on mirror extenders when pulling my 30 foot camper but I've lost a few sets. I am trying to figure out if the custom is different than the LT when it comes to the mirrors. 

1 hour ago, Carl H said:

So I been reading through all this because I've hit dead ends calling dealerships about getting tow mirrors for my 2019 chevy silverado custom trailboss. My current mirrors are power adjust and heated. I've been using clip on mirror extenders when pulling my 30 foot camper but I've lost a few sets. I am trying to figure out if the custom is different than the LT when it comes to the mirrors. 

Contact SamDSJR and he can tell you specifically what mirrors to purchase and what you’ll need to do to get them to work. I put the mirrors on my 2019 RST. The heat, adjusters, driver’s side marker lamp, and temp sensor worked immediately. I had to run 3 wires from the BCM to the right mirror and 2 wires to the left mirror to get the rest of the functions working. Sam can instruct you as to which circuits you need to tap into to make it all work. He helped me out quite a bit. 

• 3 months later...

Can anyone provide info on how much wider the tow mirrors are vs standard ones?

I found the vehicle width without is listed at 81.24 inches, but can't find anything about with the tow mirrors.

Or even if someone can take a measurement from the window to the furthest point I would appreciate it.

11 hours ago, Kirk Groenendaal said:

manual tow mirror Driver side 18.5 inches from the glass to outside edge of plastic at a right angel to the glass 22.5 extended 

Hope this helps

Kirk

Awesome, thank you so much!

In case anyone is looking for this info in the future I measured my mirrors at 13 5/8 from the window, so tow mirrors would roughly be minimum 5 inches wider per side. 

• 8 months later...

Bumping this back up, as I'm once again looking at options for tow mirrors for my 2020 SLT 1500.  I sent a message to the the guru and got the GM part numbers, but, hell, I'm not paying $2400 to add the tow mirrors with a chance some of the functions wont work.  I have the DEZ mirrors. 

Anyone know of a good aftermarket option?

The main features I want to keep are power folding and blind spot.

Thanks

15 hours ago, C5 Pete said:

Bumping this back up, as I'm once again looking at options for tow mirrors for my 2020 SLT 1500.  I sent a message to the the guru and got the GM part numbers, but, hell, I'm not paying $2400 to add the tow mirrors with a chance some of the functions wont work.  I have the DEZ mirrors. 

Anyone know of a good aftermarket option?

The main features I want to keep are power folding and blind spot.

Thanks

Boost Auto has been supposedly working on aftermarket tow mirrors for a couple years now, but there has been no word on an ETA for those. Right now the only option is GM parts, or some of the other odd looking mirror extenders that are out there. 

Has anyone successfully been able to put tow mirrors on the 2019 Trailboss LT? Would really like to see some pictures if someone has and if they have does everything work as far as side marker lights and stuff? It's really annoying GM wouldn't have made tow mirrors available for 2019.

2 hours ago, TheElementalCashew said:

Boost Auto has been supposedly working on aftermarket tow mirrors for a couple years now, but there has been no word on an ETA for those. Right now the only option is GM parts, or some of the other odd looking mirror extenders that are out there. 

Yeh, I’m patiently waiting for Boost to come up with a solution.  I have mirror extensions, and while they are effective, they look like ******.