2019/2020 Tow Mirror Installation

SamDSJR

I just received my tow mirrors I bought on the Black Friday sale. I installed them today and thought I would share the install process and how it went.

My truck is a 2019 LT 5.3, CCSB that originally came with the equivalent of DL8 spec mirrors. The part number I ordered was for the 2020 Silverado off the GM Accessories website, 84731241. I did NOT order the new harnesses for the mirrors yet. Newdude has posted the specific part numbers and specs for the different harnesses. Power adjustment and heat worked right away. But the turn signals, clearance lamps, and courtesy backup lights did not. The mirrors came with an authorization code for programing. But I’m very interested to see if they will just work once the harnesses come in. Before I installed the mirrors I took a 9V battery and tested the pins, I was able to get the clearance lights and courtesy backup lights working. We'll find out soon enough.

Some notes I observed during the install:

1. For those who keep up with their GVWR regarding towing – these mirrors are HEAVY. Literally more than double the weight of the DL8’s. My stock mirrors came in at 3lbs, the tow mirrors were 7.5lbs each. So you are adding nearly 10lbs to your truck (or 10lbs off your payload.)
  2. The second you get the last bolt off your mirror will fall to the ground. Be ready to hold it.
  3. When installing the new mirror, there is a foam gasket from the old mirror that does not come with the new mirror. I wasn't sure if I needed it but I put it on anyway. The thin foam gasket is not the same as the harder rubber gasket that comes with the new mirror.
  4. Torque the new bolts in a criss-cross pattern to make sure the new gaskets seal correctly.
  5. When removing the mid panel trim piece, start at the pointed front and pull back as it has a hinge in the back.
  6. Good news - unlike the K2's, no drilling is required to get the mirrors installed. They use 4 bolts just like the stock mirrors did.

Here's the general install steps:

1. Remove the trim panel behind the inside door handle
  2. Remove the 7mm bolt behind that panel
  3. Remove the mid-door panel
  4. Remove the two 7mm bolts behind the mid-door panel
  5. Remove the two 7mm bolts at the bottom of the door trim panel (bottom of the door by the weatherstrip)
  6. Pull the door trim panel from the bottom, work your way up each side of the panel
  7. Grab the trim panel at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock position and wiggle it like a steering wheel to pop it lose
  8. Unplug the main door electrical connector
  9. Disconnect the door handle cable
  10. Remove the black plastic weather plug covering the mirror anchor socket
  11. Remove the mirror connector
  12. Unbolt the 4 - 13mm mirror nuts
  13. Install the new mirror and reverse the process

Here’s the finished product:

IMG_0514.jpg

Edited by SamDSJR
Forgot info
  • Like 9

Nice work and good details.  I'm curious, when you say "But the turn signals, clearance lamps, and courtesy backup lights did not." which turn signals are you referring to?  Many people complained about GM taking away the turn signal indicator in the mirrors. Do the tow mirrors have those?

3 hours ago, cltsig said:

Nice work and good details.  I'm curious, when you say "But the turn signals, clearance lamps, and courtesy backup lights did not." which turn signals are you referring to?  Many people complained about GM taking away the turn signal indicator in the mirrors. Do the tow mirrors have those?

Thanks man. Yeah so I don't know why I said that. I "assumed" and sure enough - made an ass of myself. I'm thinking there are NOT turn signals in these mirrors. I see no opaque dots in the glass of the mirrors. GM probably did not put it on the tow mirrors either.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:17 PM, SamDSJR said:

I just received my tow mirrors I bought on the Black Friday sale. I installed them today and thought I would share the install process and how it went.

My truck is a 2019 LT 5.3, CCSB that originally came with the equivalent of DL8 spec mirrors. The part number I ordered was for the 2020 Silverado off the GM Accessories website, 84731241. I did NOT order the new harnesses for the mirrors yet. Newdude has posted the specific part numbers and specs for the different harnesses. Power adjustment and heat worked right away. But the turn signals, clearance lamps, and courtesy backup lights did not. The mirrors came with an authorization code for programing. But I’m very interested to see if they will just work once the harnesses come in. Before I installed the mirrors I took a 9V battery and tested the pins, I was able to get the clearance lights and courtesy backup lights working. We'll find out soon enough.

Some notes I observed during the install:

1. For those who keep up with their GVWR regarding towing – these mirrors are HEAVY. Literally more than double the weight of the DL8’s. My stock mirrors came in at 3lbs, the tow mirrors were 7.5lbs each. So you are adding nearly 10lbs to your truck (or 10lbs off your payload.)
  2. The second you get the last bolt off your mirror will fall to the ground. Be ready to hold it.
  3. When installing the new mirror, there is a foam gasket from the old mirror that does not come with the new mirror. I wasn't sure if I needed it but I put it on anyway. The thin foam gasket is not the same as the harder rubber gasket that comes with the new mirror.
  4. Torque the new bolts in a criss-cross pattern to make sure the new gaskets seal correctly.
  5. When removing the mid panel trim piece, start at the pointed front and pull back as it has a hinge in the back.
  6. Good news - unlike the K2's, no drilling is required to get the mirrors installed. They use 4 bolts just like the stock mirrors did.

Here's the general install steps:

1. Remove the trim panel behind the inside door handle
  2. Remove the 7mm bolt behind that panel
  3. Remove the mid-door panel
  4. Remove the two 7mm bolts behind the mid-door panel
  5. Remove the two 7mm bolts at the bottom of the door trim panel (bottom of the door by the weatherstrip)
  6. Pull the door trim panel from the bottom, work your way up each side of the panel
  7. Grab the trim panel at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock position and wiggle it like a steering wheel to pop it lose
  8. Unplug the main door electrical connector
  9. Disconnect the door handle cable
  10. Remove the black plastic weather plug covering the mirror anchor socket
  11. Remove the mirror connector
  12. Unbolt the 4 - 13mm mirror nuts
  13. Install the new mirror and reverse the process

Here’s the finished product:

IMG_0514.jpgthey look great.....I would love to do the same.....will c 4 maybe next year.....thanks?