2019/2020 Tow Mirror Installation

SamDSJR

26 minutes ago, Mike_F said:

3/20 build, 1500 LTZ, loaded with tech packs with HUD display and  DQS tow mirrors, no puddle lamps.

I wonder if that means the option has changed between then and now or if GM has the order guide wrong? 

Option code DQS (at least now)  includes puddle lamps in the description.

I wonder if that means the option has changed between then and now or if GM has the order guide wrong? 

Option code DQS (at least now)  includes puddle lamps in the description.

Who knows.

GM seems to gives and take without notice.

No notice or I missed it when the ordered truck came in with no entry handle buttons on the rear doors of the crew cab.

Buttheads saved a few pennies for buttons on a loaded truck. 

Well you've been one of the guinea pigs on swapping mirrors might as well continue, [emoji16], let me know what happens when you drive with it removed.

Did you wire the rear facing task lights on yours? Wondering if I should be able to just run the wire to the door frame harness, as I swapped the in door harness when I did the mirrors.

I pulled the VPM today and drove around for a bit. It immediately threw three CEL codes related to comms when I started it, but after clearing they haven’t returned. Obviously the cameras and app don’t work anymore, but everything else seems to be normal.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2020 at 11:41 AM, TheElementalCashew said:

I pulled the VPM today and drove around for a bit. It immediately threw three CEL codes related to comms when I started it, but after clearing they haven’t returned. Obviously the cameras and app don’t work anymore, but everything else seems to be normal.

Did you get VPM reprogrammed & reinstalled?

Did you get VPM reprogrammed & reinstalled?

Ran into a few issues along the way. First of all, my 2019 VPM didn’t have the necessary software for the tow mirrors, so I had to buy a 2020 VPM ($500) and send it to WAMS for programming.
I have the new VPM back, but this one has double the coax connectors that my 2019 VPM had (10 vs 5), and of course the camera connectors have changed location. The data and power hook right up with no issues.
As of right now, with the new VPM I am getting a blue screen and no cameras.
WAMS has been very helpful and has sent me wiring diagrams for the connectors, so when I have some time this weekend I plan to swap coax connectors around to the right locations.

Also worth mentioning, the 2020 VPM is physically larger than the 2019, so I will have to do some modification to remount it properly.

ab5c007f7016a9e80be92dcc335ce2b1.jpg

I just installed the tow/camper mirrors on my 2019 Silverado RST. I also installed new harnesses in the truck. The truck came with DLF mirrors and PEPS. New door harnesses are 84622371 and 84622372. Right after install the following worked on the new mirrors: mirror adjust, mirror heat, temp sensor, and driver's side only clearance lamp. What is not working on the new mirrors: passenger side clearance lamp, turn signal lamps, and cargo lamps. In knew the BCM would need to be updated, so I went to the dealer today with my code and they said the BCM cannot be updated because the truck doesn't have right hardware (connection to BCM?) to make the non-working features work. They couldn't explain why clearance lamp was working on one side, but not the other.

Questions: Is what the dealer said accurate? Is there an add/update available for the hardware to make the features work such as an aftermarket connection kit?

Ran into a few issues along the way. First of all, my 2019 VPM didn’t have the necessary software for the tow mirrors, so I had to buy a 2020 VPM ($500) and send it to WAMS for programming.
I have the new VPM back, but this one has double the coax connectors that my 2019 VPM had (10 vs 5), and of course the camera connectors have changed location. The data and power hook right up with no issues.
As of right now, with the new VPM I am getting a blue screen and no cameras.
WAMS has been very helpful and has sent me wiring diagrams for the connectors, so when I have some time this weekend I plan to swap coax connectors around to the right locations.

Also worth mentioning, the 2020 VPM is physically larger than the 2019, so I will have to do some modification to remount it properly.

ab5c007f7016a9e80be92dcc335ce2b1.jpg

Are the camera connections regular coax video connectors?

On 12/3/2020 at 11:44 AM, eng413ine said:

I just installed the tow/camper mirrors on my 2019 Silverado RST. I also installed new harnesses in the truck. The truck came with DLF mirrors and PEPS. New door harnesses are 84622371 and 84622372. Right after install the following worked on the new mirrors: mirror adjust, mirror heat, temp sensor, and driver's side only clearance lamp. What is not working on the new mirrors: passenger side clearance lamp, turn signal lamps, and cargo lamps. In knew the BCM would need to be updated, so I went to the dealer today with my code and they said the BCM cannot be updated because the truck doesn't have right hardware (connection to BCM?) to make the non-working features work. They couldn't explain why clearance lamp was working on one side, but not the other.

Questions: Is what the dealer said accurate? Is there an add/update available for the hardware to make the features work such as an aftermarket connection kit?

I just got a 2020 RST told them tow mirrors or no deal they said ok but would not do the labor ?? No problem so i installed the mirrors and new harness took it to them and the re flash has all lights working except the side cargo lights same BS from dealer and GM . I would have not purchased that truck but here i am now. Dose anyone have the pinout numbers at the BCM for the mirrors to work thinking i need to make a jumper from the cargo lights to the mirror cargo light.

My dealership just finished the install on my tow mirrors as part of the purchase deal on my 2020 Silverado 1500 RST, Z71.

Front signals and rear cargo lights work fine. Upper morris adjust correctly. I think everything works as they should. Here is the invoice from the dealership. They list two wiring harnesses (same one twice) and a contact with techline for calibration update and bcm program. They didn't list total job hrs since it was covered under the deal but talking to them it sounded like 4-5 hrs.

I hope this helps some that are having issues. It is possible. My dealerships info is listed if you need a reference.

I also had the keypad lock accessory installed. Like what ford does on most vehicles. They didn't give me an estimate before so I was able to talk them down but it should have been closer to $450 with parts and labor. They said it was actually 1.5 hrs labor.

17c1973002925ced75be9149775b0bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, KADE206 said:

My dealership just finished the install on my tow mirrors as part of the purchase deal on my 2020 Silverado 1500 RST, Z71.

Front signals and rear cargo lights work fine. Upper morris adjust correctly. I think everything works as they should. Here is the invoice from the dealership. They list two wiring harnesses (same one twice) and a contact with techline for calibration update and bcm program. They didn't list total job hrs since it was covered under the deal but talking to them it sounded like 4-5 hrs.

I hope this helps some that are having issues. It is possible. My dealerships info is listed if you need a reference.

I also had the keypad lock accessory installed. Like what ford does on most vehicles. They didn't give me an estimate before so I was able to talk them down but it should have been closer to $450 with parts and labor. They said it was actually 1.5 hrs labor.

AWESOME, thanks and congrats! 

Few questions:

- Does your RST have the silver buttons on the door handles for passive/keyless entry? Like if the door is locked and your key is in your pocket, you can press that button to unlock the doors?

- Did your stock mirrors have any features (like blind spot alert) or were they completely basic?

- Regular cab, double cab, or crew cab body style?

AWESOME, thanks and congrats! 

Few questions:
- Does your RST have the silver buttons on the door handles for passive/keyless entry? Like if the door is locked and your key is in your pocket, you can press that button to unlock the doors?
- Did your stock mirrors have any features (like blind spot alert) or were they completely basic?
- Regular cab, double cab, or crew cab body style?

Yes, my truck has the silver buttons on the exterior for handles.

Stock mirrors were only power adjust, no other features.

My truck is a crew cab, regular bed rst, z71.

Hi All

Sent a link to the post and asked my dealer to call and see what Good Chevrolet is doing that they are not. They are going from helpful to defensive. They did not call and are stuck that GM said it will not work. I also had a problem with my trailer connection and found the wiring harness not fully installed i.e. hanging lose they replaced the harness and did not test the plug ?? So when they get done with the other items I will bring it home hook it up and see what happens. Dumb way to do business. They claim to be Virginias largest dealer. This has been the worst buying experience by far poor disappointing start on Chevy 

Kirk

By the way, you'll want to torn of the courtesy light function. It turns on the mirror cargo lights which sit at near eye level. Blinded me the first time I got out.

I'm not sure I'll wire the mirror cargo lights to reverse. I'm able to turn on cargo lamps manually when in reverse so I can choose when you get the extra light or not. For now I like that function but I am using them every night when I back in my driveway. It had helped a lot being able to see the passenger rear corner and avoid hitting the trash cans. I'm still getting used to the size and turning radius of the truck.

Something interesting is I'm having to retrain myself some where the mirrors are when driving. The detail convex mirrors are on the bottom about where the stock small mirrors used to sit. You have to look up a lot higher for the main mirror on these. I also see cars in the passenger mirror sometimes and think they're right on me because they glass is so much bigger. I'll get used to it quick but these were noticeable changes.

• Like 1