How far out did the strike really push new builds?

Just curious the effect that the strike really had on new builds.  I was told 12 weeks even WITHOUT the strike.  I ordered mine october 6th.  As of right now, 2 months later I don't even have a build date yet.  And then my understanding is 1 more month after the build date??  Is this accurate?  Any thoughts from anyone on if I should be trying to skirt around my dealership and check on the status with GM directly, or if this is normal?

Thanks

5-6 weeks I believe.    Ordered truck on Aug 16th.  Dealer sat on the order for 2 weeks, build date was scheduled for 10-14 then week of 11-25 finally built on 12-2, at least that is what I was led to think.   Have VIN but truck has not reached the dealer as of today.  No rush as it will get here when it gets here.  Unless it’s absolutely perfect I will walk away from it without any hesitation.  

The time required after build date will depend on where it needs to get delivered to.

If you have the order number from your dealer, GM chat will provide the 'event code' for the order that will give you an idea of the current status.

But none of that will make it any faster. 

Edited by redwngr

I order a gas 2500 crew cab Sierra standard bed on Aug 13. GM chat told me last week the order showed in preliminary order status with no build date. Nobody on GM chat or the dealership can tell me why i still don't have a date. I understand the strike delayed the builds but for some reason, my order started over. I had a build date of 9/30 before the strike.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, bowtie2007 said:

I order a gas 2500 crew cab Sierra standard bed on Aug 13. GM chat told me last week the order showed in preliminary order status with no build date. Nobody on GM chat or the dealership can tell me why i still don't have a date. I understand the strike delayed the builds but for some reason, my order started over. I had a build date of 9/30 before the strike.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Head over to GMC.com and click on the "Chat Now" button in the lower right hand corner of the window to "Check on My New Vehicle Order".  Within a minute or so, you should be chatting with a live person.  Provide your order number and some other personal identification data and the CSR should be able to give you the Event Code.  At least this will let you know where you are in the overall order process.

Just got through Chatting with Chevy.com. My order was placed on Nov. 13,  Dealer said order was pulled on Nov. 19, chat has revealed a scheduled TPW of Dec. 16 and is currently sitting at event code 3400. Of course they also said TPW was dependent upon plant scheduling.

20 hours ago, Anthony Greco said:

5-6 weeks I believe.    Ordered truck on Aug 16th.  Dealer sat on the order for 2 weeks, build date was scheduled for 10-14 then week of 11-25 finally built on 12-2, at least that is what I was led to think.   Have VIN but truck has not reached the dealer as of today.  No rush as it will get here when it gets here.  Unless it’s absolutely perfect I will walk away from it without any hesitation.  

Better tie your shoes. There is no such thing as absolutely perfect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GM chat would only say that my order shows as "order accepted" Which they said means it's scheduled for production but that no production week had been scheduled for it yet.

Does this mean I'm making progress here?  Should I be asking for more/different info on the chat?

On 12/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, BBE said:

Just curious the effect that the strike really had on new builds.  I was told 12 weeks even WITHOUT the strike.  I ordered mine october 6th.  As of right now, 2 months later I don't even have a build date yet.  And then my understanding is 1 more month after the build date??  Is this accurate?  Any thoughts from anyone on if I should be trying to skirt around my dealership and check on the status with GM directly, or if this is normal?

Thanks

We ordered our 2020 GMC Sierra SLE Duramax on Sept 24th.  Salesman said we were lucky and it was accepted pretty quick.   It shipped and we will have it next week.  Our build date was the week of Thanksgiving but it was finished the following week after that.  What we were told is none were accepted shortly after we placed our order so that is our story.

• Like 1