Silverado LD Z71 - Suspension

Carlo

My wife and I have driven several 2019 LD's lately, and found something unique with the 2019 Silverado LD Z71 suspension.

Every time I drive an LD Z71, it's like I'm in a different vehicle.  The suspension is definitely different, and it's not just the shocks.

The Silverado LD LT, with the All-Star package drives like a truck. It handles large bumps like a truck.  It occasionally gets a little bouncy on certain road surfaces.  It's very nice, but reminds me of a bigger version of my 1996 S10 long bed.

The same thing in a Z71 drives much smoother over large bumps & potholes and it doesn't bounce.  It's quieter too.

The LD dealer brochure states that the Z71 has a different suspension.  Chevy never said that about a Z71.  The 2018 and all previous years highlight the Rancho shocks, jounce bumpers and skid plates. 

Something must have changed on the LD Z71.

All of the LD's have been standardized.  They all have the same engine, tranny, they all come with Eaton lockers, etc; (probably to make them easier to assemble).  I'm beginning to wonder if they share springs with the new 2019/2020 Silverado?

The noise reduction may have something to do with the standard spray-in bed liner on this Z71, but I can't explain the significant difference in the ride, unless it has different springs.  The factory bed liner now comes with the All-star package on the Z71 LD.

If you haven't gone to a dealer and tried this, you'll be amazed, but you must drive over really bumpy roads.

Edited by Carlo
Punctuation
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YEGbluesilverado said:

id guess its likely the low tire pressure most dealers leave the trucks at to soften the ride to potential buyers?  Interested to see what others say

I've worked at numerous dealerships as a tech and never left tire pressure low or was told to. Maybe the old days before tire sensors?

I checked the tire pressure on all of them via the instrument panel display.  Most were between 28-32, when they should have been 35.  So, I took the last four trucks to an air pump and set them to 35, cold PSI.  That made them both ride harder, but the Z71 was still far superior.

Most Z71 are in a higher equipment group, 18 - 20" wheels. Looks like you can get the LD in 17-20's also. I found going from 18's to 20's hugely impacted the ride difference on my 2010 Z71 to my 2015 Z71. Much harsher over bumps and cracks with the 20's, but a lot less body roll compared to the 18's when cornering. Feels car-like in terms of handling with the 20's. What rims did the one you drove have? 

I totally agree.  I like the standard size rims, for that reason. 

They all had 18" factory aluminum rims, with the same size tires.  All the non Z71's had Michelins.  All the Z's had Wranglers.  I drove two yesterday and set the air pressure on both, to 35PSI cold.  The Z71's are surprisingly better.

I told the dealer to get one of the Z71's ready for me to pick up on Thursday, if he fixes a mild pull to the left.  It's my second purchase there, so he provided the signed buyer's order with no deposit.

The deal was pretty good at $21k below the $47,525 sticker.  We have a GM card.

Edited by Carlo

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

Most Z71 are in a higher equipment group, 18 - 20" wheels. Looks like you can get the LD in 17-20's also. I found going from 18's to 20's hugely impacted the ride difference on my 2010 Z71 to my 2015 Z71. Much harsher over bumps and cracks with the 20's, but a lot less body roll compared to the 18's when cornering. Feels car-like in terms of handling with the 20's. What rims did the one you drove have? 

You're absolutely right about the 20" rims.  I just drove a 2021 Silverado with those, and I though I was in my 1996 S10.  It drives like a car with a stiff suspension.  My 2019 LD Z71 has 18", and it kind of floats over bumps.  It feels like a much larger vehicle, apparently due to the 18" wheels & 265/65/18 Wranglers.