Multi Pro Tailgate Removal

Anyone taken the multi pro tailgate off the yet?  I need to put my camper on and the tailgate needs to be off.  Is it just a matter of disconnecting the camera wiring from under the back of the truck and then removing it at the 45 degree angle?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took the MultiPro tailgate off today.  Was pretty much like my 16 Silverado HD.  Passenger side at 45 degrees, remove that side, lift and pull off to that side.  Unhooked the backup camera and as Morgan above said, none of the cameras work with that one disconnected.  Anyone know of a way to get around this so all other cameras work?

I wrote letters to Mark Reuss, President of General Motors, Tim Herrick, Vice President, And Jim Danahy, Executive Chief Engineer to get an answer about my new truck cameras not working with the tailgate off. I sent it on the 5th. No answer yet. Ready to go full steam on social media. Seems like they do not know or care about the customer base, or never bothered to ask. I also found out that the infotainment system blacks out when you turn the turn signal on, very unsafe if needing directions, very distracting, when you have to touch the screen to restore every time.

Just an FYI.  I ordered this camera.  I talked to their customer service and they said this will complete the circuit on the surround vision system without having to take the camera out of the tailgate.  

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/2019-gm-1500-w-360-view-relocation-kit-with-camera-included.html

Looks great - glad it works. I'm going to search for a cheaper option first - but I totally get wanting it to work without a lot of effort.

I see they have that same kit without the camera, which is about 1/2 price. But of course you have to harvest your camera out of the tailgate first.

Anyway great find thanks.

FWIW - I am less concerned about this camera, and more concerned about the one in the rearview mirror. That one would have to be relocated from the back of the cab, and I'm not looking forward to that... but I'm going to give it a swing before putting the camper on this weekend.

Edited by blamkin86