2000 tahoe 5.3 random misfire throughout bank 1.

David Sohn

Question

I had a rough idle ans I noticed my tahoe losing power ans engine started missing. Code acanner said random misfire. Changed plugs, wires, and crankshaft sensor. It started ran finw for about 30 seconds- 1 minute maybe, then it just died instantly. Hasnt started since.

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, David Sohn said:

I had a rough idle ans I noticed my tahoe losing power ans engine started missing. Code acanner said random misfire. Changed plugs, wires, and crankshaft sensor. It started ran finw for about 30 seconds- 1 minute maybe, then it just died instantly. Hasnt started since.

Seeing as how it was running before you changed a bunch of parts without actually performing any diagnosis, I would go back over what was changed paying more attention to the one part that could prevent the engine from starting.  Why did you change the crankshaft sensor?  Mke sure it is installed correctly, the wiring is still connected, and that it is tight.  I would also put the old one back on as well. 

A random code for a single bank would be an air leak (more than likely intake gaskets), injectors (or crap in that part of the rail), or failed o2 sensor for that bank. EDIT - clogged cat, too. And another point - all bank 2 coils share a common ground.

As for the no start, I'm willing to bet that was caused either by the new crank sensor, or the installation. I've seen some Dorman parts be junk right out of the box EVERY time, and the big chain store brands aren't much better. Also, make sure the wiring to the crank sensor didn't come loose and get wiped out by the harmonic balancer.

Edited by Jsdirt

A random code for a single bank would be an air leak (more than likely intake gaskets), injectors (or crap in that part of the rail), or failed o2 sensor for that bank. EDIT - clogged cat, too. And another point - all bank 2 coils share a common ground.

As for the no start, I'm willing to bet that was caused either by the new crank sensor, or the installation. I've seen some Dorman parts be junk right out of the box EVERY time, and the big chain store brands aren't much better. Also, make sure the wiring to the crank sensor didn't come loose and get wiped out by the harmonic balancer.

Nice write up!
The original 5.3 is an easy one to work with, can easily be dealt with in the garage at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk