So we have a 2020 Sierra Denali Duramax.  After getting the truck and reading all the board posts, i was concerned about using the remote start functionality due to the issues I’ve read about that seem to start after someone used the remote start.  

To this point, despite living in Minnesota, i have asked my wife to avoid using it. So my question is, am i being too cautious and are those cases Ive read about more one offs? I would assume with all the trucks that have shipped, many are using remote start with no issues? 

Thanks.

Don't be too careful.. you do have the warranty. I have had mine at the dealer a few times already for recalls and even the brake computer failure. They reset and updated a couple things . I did not use my remote start for quite some time then said to hell with that.. I love the remote start feature and I'm using it again. No issues yet

I say warm her up!

I believe the remote start recall issue necessitating a 2nd recall update concerned problems resulting from using the cell phone/ipad remote start using OnStar app, not the keyfob remote start. I've always use the keyfob remote start and never had a problem before or after the 1st or 2nd recall "fix"

57 minutes ago, mark1968 said:

So we have a 2020 Sierra Denali Duramax.  After getting the truck and reading all the board posts, i was concerned about using the remote start functionality due to the issues I’ve read about that seem to start after someone used the remote start.  

To this point, despite living in Minnesota, i have asked my wife to avoid using it. So my question is, am i being too cautious and are those cases Ive read about more one offs? I would assume with all the trucks that have shipped, many are using remote start with no issues? 

Thanks.

What remote start issues?  Apparently you have a 2500?  If so try posting in the appropriate section.  This is the 1500 section.

• Like 1

This is a gmc 1500 duramax diesel. If you look in other sections on brake loss/entertainment/alerts/warning messages etc, you’ll see other owners seeing a potential link to using the remote start feature, mainly the app version.

7 minutes ago, mark1968 said:

This is a gmc 1500 duramax diesel. If you look in other sections on brake loss/entertainment/alerts/warning messages etc, you’ll see other owners seeing a potential link to using the remote start feature, mainly the app version.

I had the problem and it was all directly related to a bad software build.  The problem was corrected and have used the remote and app for auto starts and haven’t had a single issue.  The problem was corrected.  

11 hours ago, mark1968 said:

Thanks.

If you are concerned about the remote start feature with the App, just take it to the dealer and have them verify all the Recalls and TSBs are completed.

7 hours ago, mark1968 said:

I see everyone is telling you this issue should be fixed and it was related to the app auto start or to the recall performed back in mid December. I NEVER had that recall performed and I NEVER used the OnStar or MyChevrolet apps to start my truck. Only my key fob. I had a brake failure on 1/10/20. The dealership replaced the vacuum pump the following Monday and test drove it. They too experienced a "brake issue." They won't admit if it was a failure or what exactly happened. Received it back on 1/22 after a new brake module came in and PIT 5728B was programmed (no longer the newest fix) only to take it in a week later and have it scanned for error codes and found 4 more. My truck wasn't even included in the newest recall "fix" that was issued on 1/30/20. My truck is still sitting at the dealership. GM has been ignoring my calls for the past two weeks. In my opinion there is a far larger underlying issue with these brake failures and GM does not have a true fix or at least a fix that won't cause another issue. There is a thread on this forum dated back to November 2018 for the 2019 having brake failures. This has been happening for over a year. You have a 2020 so it may be "safe," only time will tell. I had 12,575 miles at the first failure.

Edit: I also want to add that almost everyone else experiencing the brake failure did have that recall performed or do use those apps to auto start their vehicle. My truck appears to be a rare case, at least on this forum. I think GM found the things that most of these trucks and truck owners have in common and ran with that idea on what is causing the brake failure.

Edited by Forrest_E