axle shooting grease after level

Hi,

New to the forums but have been a lurking for quite some time. Today i ran into my first real issue with my truck. I have a 19 1500 custom with a motofab 2.5" level kit. Put aprox 1,000 miles on the truck since the install and now today as i changed my oil i found grease coming from both front axles. I inspected the axle boots and cant find any tears, it looks like its leaking past the clamp on each axle. Has anyone else had this problem? Would there be any advantage to replacing the axles with trailboss axles to compensate for the lift? Thanks for any advise that could be given.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

1 hour ago, ct_corey said:

2.5 spacer lift really isn't the best for these trucks and even the last generation. I would go down to a smaller spacer/ purchase a proper lift set up. TB axles new are $$$$

I actually ended up changing the spacer out today to a 2” top Mount spacer. With the truck up on the lift and closer inspection it looks like at certain angles the pinch on the Clamp for the cv boot would rub the bottom of the strut mount with the 2.5” spaced down there. I know it’s only a half inch difference but the axles and ball joints look happier now. 

Edited by Licustom

• 6 months later...

2FDAD1D6-2AA1-40CD-902F-234E490F0580.thumb.jpeg.488db18a0546dd40fb9bdf94d2230913.jpegI have a 2020 Chevy Silverado Custom. I had the dealer install a Eibach pro lift kit. It comes with the new adjustable struts coil springs and rear shocks. This basically levels the truck at the lowest setting  maybe slightly higher than the rear.  I noticed today  grease on the inside of both of my wheels today . I also noticed 2 spots that had clear glue. The dealer might have had an issue when installing and maybe this was a repair.  I was searching online and found this forum about the cv axle leak. I owned Ford and Ram trucks before and haven’t had issues like this. Should I by the longer Cv axle from the trail boss is there a part number or is there an alternative solution. 

F0071F55-4FF9-47FB-A9BA-E1B09313226C.jpeg

819A8B3B-87C4-45C7-9D6F-EBF3E13E6EC2.jpeg

Edited by Tcustomsilverado
Adding photo

Looks to me OP like you changed the angle the axle sits at which is tearing up the boot.

The second guy here i'm wondering since you found evidence of a hack repair on the boot that they split it removing it and tried to hide the fact they damaged it, i would demand an entire new axle as to me it looks like it was the dealer fault with the installation, in any case they should be on the hook to make it right for you.

Edited by BIGDOGx

Ya they should at least inspect the axle and replace the boots, repacked with fresh grease of course. I tore a CV boot on my levelled Colorado ZR2 and used Shoe Goo to patch it. It works really well and is tough as nails but still has a little flex. 

The cv axles angles don’t look bad . I have the the wheels turned all the way  to one side so I can take pics and clean up. The other side also had some of the glue but a small amount.  The GM level kit comes  with new cv axles possible longer . I might get a quote for those or new axle boots.  I don’t want a patch job on a new truck.  I was trying to find a part number for the trail boss cv axles. 

On 9/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Tcustomsilverado said:

The cv axles angles don’t look bad . I have the the wheels turned all the way  to one side so I can take pics and clean up. The other side also had some of the glue but a small amount.  The GM level kit comes  with new cv axles possible longer . I might get a quote for those or new axle boots.  I don’t want a patch job on a new truck.  I was trying to find a part number for the trail boss cv axles. 

I ended up replacing mine with part number 84554912. The axle itself isn’t longer the inner tulip is and allows more travel of the CV. I haven’t had any issues after installing these axles. 

Be careful where you have them installed also, I was quoted labor as 3 hours per side from gm and an Indy shop. Ended up doing it myself 45 minutes per side. 

Edited by Licustom

• 4 weeks later...

2019 LT Trail Boss - Less than a week after the dealership installed bilstein 5100s for a 1" front level the cv boots on both front axles started leaking grease. They replaced both axle's under warranty today and the passenger side started leaking again by the time I got home. Frustrated to say the least, taking it to a suspension shop tomorrow.

cv boot leak.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 9:50 PM, Licustom said:

I ended up replacing mine with part number 84554912. The axle itself isn’t longer the inner tulip is and allows more travel of the CV. I haven’t had any issues after installing these axles. 

Be careful where you have them installed also, I was quoted labor as 3 hours per side from gm and an Indy shop. Ended up doing it myself 45 minutes per side. 

how do you remove inner axle at the differential case?  does it just pull out?  seems like axle replacement is easy if it is all that i think there is to i

I'm not going to look to see if they are yet available for the OP's application but a lift or drop in this range IMO is best done at the spindle. No change in spindle angles. All other stock replacement parts work. Easy on the alignment. 

2019 LT Trail Boss - Less than a week after the dealership installed bilstein 5100s for a 1" front level the cv boots on both front axles started leaking grease. They replaced both axle's under warranty today and the passenger side started leaking again by the time I got home. Frustrated to say the least, taking it to a suspension shop tomorrow.

1170251921_cvbootleak.jpg.3e54ddc99d1a7ef56047ec994f0a0142.jpg

I’m gonna say this is a bad install. The “rubber” boot is more plastic than rubber and the slightest pinch or tear can compromise it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/29/2020 at 9:50 PM, Licustom said:

so you had regular axles like for an LT and swapped to Trail Boss axles??   what all did you have to remove to get axle out other than the wheel and axle nut?  what did you use or how did you get the inner axle pulled out?