New to this thread and just got done with doing my own first oil change and service.  Great information here on locations of grease fittings and grease to use.  6 of the 9 fittings are not bad to get to.  The remaining 3 took me much more time than I wish to spend on a quick grease service.

Couple things I changed on my 2020 GMC 2500HD to help:

To eliminate the need to come from the top of the pitman and idler arm at the center link, I changed the straight fittings to 90deg.  Pointed the grease fittings towards the outside of the truck and now both have very easy access.  Standard 1/4-28 taper thread grease fittings.  No clearance issues while turning.

• (1) top of pitman arm at the center link side of the arm
  • (1) top of idler arm at the center link side of the arm

To eliminate the need to remove the skid plate or struggling to fit arms in places they don't go, I installed a hose kit from Moog.  Part number K6714, purchased off Amazon for $16.28.  Grease fitting end mounts to one of the sway bar mounting bolts.  Clean looking install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180J5DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• (1) top of idler arm pivot bracket

• 6 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:48 AM, newdude said:

How did you guys get the "idler arm???" on the driver's side?   There is some type of module that is in the way of my straight fitting on my grease gun.   I was able to get them all, but the top passenger side rack fitting was a ******.   I looked like a coal miner after I finally got it.  

Like others have stated, mine took 6-8 pumps per fitting.  I've owned the truck for about 14 months.  

If you found 8, you are missing one.  Should be 9.  

• (2) outer tie rod ends
  • (2) upper ball joints
  • (2) lower ball joints
  • (1) top of pitman arm at the center link side of the arm
  • (1) top of idler arm pivot bracket
  • (1) top of idler arm at the center link side of the arm

The fuel filter has a drain.  The center of the filter cap opens up.  The Duramax supplement manual shows it in there.  Its under the "Water in fuel" section.  

16 hours ago, Beast ZL1 said:

How did you guys get the "idler arm???" on the driver's side?   There is some type of module that is in the way of my straight fitting on my grease gun.   I was able to get them all, but the top passenger side rack fitting was a ******.   I looked like a coal miner after I finally got it.  

Like others have stated, mine took 6-8 pumps per fitting.  I've owned the truck for about 14 months.  

The arm on the driver's side would be the Pitman Arm.  Idler and Idler bracket are on the passenger side.  The "module" is probably the digital steering assist module. 

Its a tight squeeze especially with the diesel engine.  I've always pulled that front plastic shield loose or removed it and you get more access.  A 90 degree adapter for the gun might help it too.  

Edited by newdude

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, just called my dealer and, specifically asked if they grease all the fittings. Told her I had a 2500 HD. She said, that if they had fittings, then they are greased at every oil change. (5,000 miles) I told her that the HD trucks do have them still. (Evidently, some newer model cars I guess dont?) At any rate, I looked at my last service bill and it stated "lube, oil & filter" then one of the boxes that were checked was a "Lubricate Chassis Components"

So, evidently they have been greasing all 9 fittings. But, I like the "trust but, verify" - rule of thumb 

I'll just take a look see next time I'm at the dealer to see if they really are doing it. 

On 8/9/2023 at 7:17 AM, MacLaren said:

So, just called my dealer and, specifically asked if they grease all the fittings. Told her I had a 2500 HD. She said, that if they had fittings, then they are greased at every oil change. (5,000 miles) I told her that the HD trucks do have them still. (Evidently, some newer model cars I guess dont?) At any rate, I looked at my last service bill and it stated "lube, oil & filter" then one of the boxes that were checked was a "Lubricate Chassis Components"

So, evidently they have been greasing all 9 fittings. But, I like the "trust but, verify" - rule of thumb 

I'll just take a look see next time I'm at the dealer to see if they really are doing it. 

Just go under the truck. If they were lubricated, you will see fresh grease on the zerks.  Unless they wiped them clean. You should still be able to tell.

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 1

I would go to Vegas and bet a lot of money that very few dealers grease all the fittings on these trucks. I have some experiences that back this up. Years ago I sat and waited on a warranty repair on my truck. I was there about 4 hrs. I sat across from the open door on the lube bay. A steady stream of vehicles passed through. Occasionally the tech would check the air pressure in 1 or 2 tires (pre widespread TPMS days) and never did I see anything on any vehicle get greased despite the fact that several of the vehicles were known to me to have greaseable front end components. Neither did I see any of them get a differential fluid level check or a transfer case level check. 

I had a friend with an S10 4WD that needed lower ball joints around 50k. They were bone dry and he used the dealer for oil changes (they were hard to get to on this truck) 

So unless I greased them myself, I would assume they hadnt been greased. 

I also noted on the 24's that the grease fittings have a different thread than other years. I had a supply of 90 degree fittings that I had used on other truck to make access easier. I had even used some on my 2021 HD but they would not fit the 2024. I didnt feel like it was worth going through the hassle of sorting out the new thread size so I just went ahead and greased it as it was. Pulling the splash shield is crucial to the access. I added 4 or 5 pumps per fitting or just until I saw the boot start to fill. 

Edited by 64BAwagon

Its not like the HD truck front end components are known for their long life. I have had to replace parts well before 100k on  trucks that were greased regularly and never abused or off roaded. The likelyhood that whatever supplier GM uses is sending them a vastly superior product in todays world is slim to none. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1