• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

Doesn't the 2017 have rack and pinion? so it wouldn't have a pitman arm,...ect?

Sorry i was wrong. for some reason i was thinking of the 1500s. thanks @newdude

Sorry if I didn't reply correctly 1st timer here !!!!

I just crawled under my 2020 and did my first  LOF at 4900 mi 

All I  found 8 fittings

they were all  bone dry 

Is there a drain for the fuel seperator 

18 hours ago, Dave mags said:

Sorry if I didn't reply correctly 1st timer here !!!!

I just crawled under my 2020 and did my first  LOF at 4900 mi 

All I  found 8 fittings

they were all  bone dry 

Is there a drain for the fuel seperator 

If you found 8, you are missing one.  Should be 9.  

• (2) outer tie rod ends
  • (2) upper ball joints
  • (2) lower ball joints
  • (1) top of pitman arm at the center link side of the arm
  • (1) top of idler arm pivot bracket
  • (1) top of idler arm at the center link side of the arm

The fuel filter has a drain.  The center of the filter cap opens up.  The Duramax supplement manual shows it in there.  Its under the "Water in fuel" section.  

Thanks

I will crawl under and find it

I thought that is what I read about draining it but it sounded funky and I had concerns about getting air in there 

do you generally drain it  periodically ?? I usually did that on my old truck 

Edited by Dave mags
added a question

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, davester said:

Some just swap the oil & filter (and sometimes even botch that), and some will also lube everything, check and top off if necessary all the other fluids, rotate tires, etc...

IF I let a dealer perform my oil change I would be certain to follow up.  The dealer who sold us our 12 impala brand new used the wrong oil filter on the car for the first few years.  They claimed they were not aware of a tsb that I showed them.  This was a pretty large lot for the area, should have been up to speed. 

Tempted to do my own service work, however there are things I am finding about this truck that have me questioning whether to have the truck checked periodically by the dealer.  Had no clue until I started looking for it, after reading a few posts here about low level, that there was no trans dipstick.  Brings the question as to how exactly do you add fluid when you change the fluid. 

Going to have to check the grease fittings, do you really have to drop a skid plate to get to one of them?

Edited by shadow gray 2020 hd

I just got done rotating tires, changing oil and greasing .i would say yes on removal of skid plate. Only four 15mm bolts . The 3 fittings on idler arms aren’t easy either. The dealer or quick change shop would never get to them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BB&Chiveon said:

i would say yes on removal of skid plate. Only four 15mm bolts . The 3 fittings on idler arms aren’t easy either. The dealer or quick change shop would never get to them

Sure with the skid plate needing removed that if they were to lube it they would charge extra for "book" labor rates. 

I took a peak at mine after washing it today, could see 6 fittings without crawling under it.  Will see if I can get the truck under the garage door tomorrow and crawl under it. Not sure I am gonna clear, think my door height is 7'2", by just eyeballing it, appears it is gonna be close.   

Would be curious why these are coming from the factory dry, or with minimal grease.  Is it a qc issue?  Took 6-8 pumps in all the fittings.  And yes the plastic skid plate is not an issue.  My truck was built on 8/20.

Was able to reach all of them with a standard pistol grip manual pump gun with a 12 inch hose.  I can see where a 36 inch would make the job much easier.

After reading these posts i crawled under my 2020 2500 HD. All nine grease points were pretty much dry. I was able to grease them all without removing the skid plate, using a grease gun with a one foot rubber hose, and straight coupler. My arms were covered in undercoating, trying to reach the zerks. I will grease it next time with a 90 degree coupler. I believe that will work much better.

I greased mine this morning and there was not enough clearance to get my fitting on it for both bottom ball joints. It is a lumax quick release so maybe the side wall is larger than a standard fitting. I’ll have to swap it and give another try.

No issues getting the the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone forgot to assign someone to lube these things as they come off of the assembly line.  Very sucky.   I can understand leaving it slightly not completely lubed to prevent pressure bursting or whatever depending on altitude or things that might happen when loading/unloading from carriers.. but at the same time, I don't recall any of the dealers I worked at or went to checking chassis grease as part of the pre-delivery stuff.  I DID see them checking oil and other fluid levels though.  But unless a vehicle was receiving aftermarket gear being installed at the dealer, none of the vehicles went up on a lift when they came off the car carrier.  Worth sharing with your favorite service advisor/service manager, might help you earn some good credit with them since they can hopefully catch this going forward and making future customers happy and pass along this issue to GM Corporate.