I wondering what everyone's reasons are for either deleting, swapping, or installing a cat back system would be.

Delete - PROs: cost effective, sounds great

CONs: ??

Swap - PROs: ??

CONs: new muffler could be pricey depending on what you choose

Cat Back - PROs: ??

CONs: PRICE PRICE PRICE

It doesnt seem like any of this really makes too big of an impact on performance... seems like it's all about sound and cost. I know there are other factors like the flapper and the mesh screens. There are so many directions to go with this I'd just like to get a better idea of why people chose what they chose. 

Simple choice for me, delete the muffler and the flapper valve. Under 100 bucks with all stainless parts and it sounds great and I did it in 30 minutes... obviously the “helicopter” noise is amplified but I’ll fix that with the tune when I pull the trigger 

My last new truck in 2014 I did delete. With a muffler, 3 cats and a resonator I figure it would be just right. I also tuned out the cylinder deactivation. It would have been perfect prior to me turning 58 years old. I all the sudden didn’t want the constant rumble anymore. Otherwise it would have been the best 40$ I ever spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honestly in the same boat, I need something.. its way to quiet. 

im thinking muffler/flapper delete and covering up the resonators in the rear with tape/metal. This should produce the best sound if i read correctly.. 

could go cat back but doesn't sound as pure imo and 600+ $$ sooo

The biggest thing is that sound is subjective. Personally I don't like the tone of a muffler delete as much as having a muffler. That's just my personal preference I'm not knocking it some do like the sound. I think replacing the stock muffler with a brand muffler you like the sound of is one of the best bangs for your buck. 

On 3/7/2020 at 5:04 AM, highbl00d said:

What would be the CONs to a delete? 

Your neighbors. That muffler isn't on the truck for you. It's there for everyone else around you. For most people these days life does not extend outside themselves. Yea, yea, I ran straight pipes on my bikes for decades. Headers and glass packs on my hot rods. Took me a while to grow up and now I can't hear for about a third of the normal hearing range. Tis the cost of my selfishness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:36 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Your neighbors. That muffler isn't on the truck for you. It's there for everyone else around you. For most people these days life does not extend outside themselves. 

Exactly.... my neighbor just bought a new truck and it gets OLD hearing cold start every morning at 5:30. Of course all of the bedrooms in our house are on the side that his driveway is on. 

• Like 1

I can’t fault a person for wanting a little sound through the exhaust. As long as it’s reasonable. I still have one that has headers, flows and resonators. Just not all like in the past. I can tell who is on time going to work by their exhaust, even the rice burner. It’s like a concert. As long as it’s reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Electric Cutouts are still a thing. 

I've got QTP on my Trailboss. Quiet on start up and in the neighborhood. Hit the switch and it turns loud and gurgles down the road. I paid $250 for the kit and $35 to have the cutout welded on. 

I'm surprised more people don't consider this over a muffler delete. A manual cutout with 3 bolts seems like a better option, you can at least cap it and still use the stock muffler.

I went with a magnaflow muffler and removed the flapper All in about $150.00. Sounds really good but not much louder going to get the resonators welded up and from what everyone is saying will get me the sound I’m after.

Thanks for the responses. I have a Trailblazer SS in my garage that has a Borla XR-1 and that thing is BEAST. It isn't the daily driver anymore so my neighbors could be thankful... but apparently they don't care ? LoL  

I'd love to go with another Borla, but the cost of a delete seems to be more enticing. I also have some GM points to redeem so maybe I could lean toward the GM one... but damn its still expensive...LoL <sigh>

I daily drove my 2500hd for years with  408 stroker, long tubes, 4 inch exhaust and a magnuson 2300 supercharger...there is no quiet 4 inch exhaust....  Every time its under 40 it idles for 5-10 min(forged motor). So I'm that neighbor who leaves every day at 530 am for work.   Long story short...My neighbors would rather my new truck with the delete..lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the gibson catback today and put my stock exhaust with the muffler delete.  At 1st it was a test as I was unsure how it was going to be.  My expectations were it was going to be loud and sound bad..   well at idle cold it sounds like a vette and warm its quieter than I thought.  Revved up on the other hand it sounds horrible but I'm not 16 anymore and dont rev my vehicles like that anyway.   On the road it gets louder with throttle and doesn't drone like the gibson did, actually sounds better than I thought. So I ended up welding the pipe in. So far so good, I kinda like the tone, didnt seem to loose power or response either.

• Like 1