6.6 Gas Towing Prowress

I have heard very mixed reviews on the new gas 2500s.  Most seem to say the motor is great but between the trans and the 3.73s, it's very underwhelming in its performance.  Hoping to get real world input.  For those of you who tow with the truck whats been your experience?  Please let me know if you can:

Towing geography (mountains, elevation, flat, sea level etc):

Towing weight:

Trailer type:

I appreciate any input... still not sure if I should go duramax or gas.

1 hour ago, mtemp said:

I have heard very mixed reviews on the new gas 2500s.  Most seem to say the motor is great but between the trans and the 3.73s, it's very underwhelming in its performance.  Hoping to get real world input.  For those of you who tow with the truck whats been your experience?  Please let me know if you can:

Towing geography (mountains, elevation, flat, sea level etc):

Towing weight:

Trailer type:

I appreciate any input... still not sure if I should go duramax or gas.

Go on youtube and watch the TFL Truck videos of them towing across the Eisenhower Tunnel and others.

54 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Go on youtube and watch the TFL Truck videos of them towing across the Eisenhower Tunnel and others.

I saw that but that's 16k pounds, probably not what most 3/4 ton drivers are going to tow.  I'm in the 8k range but I go through Yosemite over Tioga Pass etc often.

• Like 1

Just now, mtemp said:

I saw that but that's 16k pounds, probably not what most 3/4 ton drivers are going to tow.  I'm in the 8k range but I go through Yosemite over Tioga Pass etc often.

I have a 37’ 8000’ camper. I’ve only towed it about 5 hours so far, just to get a feel for things. I upgraded from a 2019 1500 with the 5.3 because the towing experience with the half ton was kinda scary. 
My new 2500 is worlds different. Power is great, stability is great, I’m very happy with it. I found the steepest hill I could in the area and it was no problem up or down- I guess about a 2 mile stretch so nothing big.  It was a very comfortable tow though.  

The new 6.6 is a powerful, smooth engine. I have zero regrets going gas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only towed about 5,500-6,000 lbs with my 6.6L gasser, but a 29' x 7.5' snowmobile trailer on winter roads. It was very stable and a huge improvement over my 1/2 ton that I traded in for the 2020 2500HD. I had a 3/4 ton 6.0L gas engine before and this new 6.6L with the 6 speed transmission works extremely well with the power and torque and shift points. I've very happy with it and rides very well for a 3/4 daily driver.

Here is a good read, as well as other threads on here about the 6.6L gas engine.

13 hours ago, Limelight said:

I have a 37’ 8000’ camper. I’ve only towed it about 5 hours so far, just to get a feel for things. I upgraded from a 2019 1500 with the 5.3 because the towing experience with the half ton was kinda scary. 
My new 2500 is worlds different. Power is great, stability is great, I’m very happy with it. I found the steepest hill I could in the area and it was no problem up or down- I guess about a 2 mile stretch so nothing big.  It was a very comfortable tow though.  

The new 6.6 is a powerful, smooth engine. I have zero regrets going gas. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, SkidooSteve12 said:

I've only towed about 5,500-6,000 lbs with my 6.6L gasser, but a 29' x 7.5' snowmobile trailer on winter roads. It was very stable and a huge improvement over my 1/2 ton that I traded in for the 2020 2500HD. I had a 3/4 ton 6.0L gas engine before and this new 6.6L with the 6 speed transmission works extremely well with the power and torque and shift points. I've very happy with it and rides very well for a 3/4 daily driver.

Here is a good read, as well as other threads on here about the 6.6L gas engine.

This was a great thread to read, thank you!

Towed on 2 trips for a total of approx. 3200 miles. I have averaged about 9.4mpg in the midwest and southeast including some mountain towing. It is a noticeable improvement in power and mpg over my 16' 2500 6L. I wish it would have offered the 4:10  gearset then it would have been near perfect.

I've towed my 24ft enclosed car hauler about 3000 miles with the truck so far. I went from a grossly overloaded 5.3 Yukon to this, so I may be biased, I did not check the weight, but I've hauled cars and household goods, and I'd estimate 8-10Klbs. The 6.6 SIlverado handles it beautifully. Loaded with the yukon, I'd accelerate from a stop, and you could feel the truck torque up and then start to pull. The SIlverado just goes, Trucks passing the Yukon would toss me around, the Silverado is stable. I  know that is not engine related, but it really helps. Gas mileage was impacted of course, the big car hauler is rolling barn, I get about 10MPG, where I got 7-8 with the 5.3 Yukon. The engine just goes, it feels totally comfortable pulling the weight, and I love it.

keep in mind TFL didn't drop gears, use recommended octane of fuel,  or even (not100%) use tow haul mode.    They sort of just floor it uphill WOT using the cheap high altitude gas  and see what ensues.   

I would look at reviews that mirror more closely to what you will use it for.  With that said the reviews of the gas have been very positive.

I bet this platform could get revised with a 8 or 10 speed transmission in the future...and maybe a higher gear ratio.    Would be a killer platform for sure but I really like the way its set up now.  MPGs are great and the 6 speed is still solid

2 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

keep in mind TFL didn't drop gears, use recommended octane of fuel,  or even (not100%) use tow haul mode.    They sort of just floor it uphill WOT using the cheap high altitude gas  and see what ensues.   

I would look at reviews that mirror more closely to what you will use it for.  With that said the reviews of the gas have been very positive.

I bet this platform could get revised with a 8 or 10 speed transmission in the future...and maybe a higher gear ratio.    Would be a killer platform for sure but I really like the way its set up now.  MPGs are great and the 6 speed is still solid

What octane is recommended in the 6.6? 

Off topic but MIzzou grad? 

18 minutes ago, Remington92 said:

What octane is recommended in the 6.6? 

Off topic but MIzzou grad? 

Yes!  And 87 Octane.    

You could certainly still run 85 octane safely at high altitude, but it is clearly stated in the manual to run 87.  Modern computers take care of the appropriate air/fuel mixture.  

I wish TFL did a scenario like the Ike Pass using a variety of fuel octane.  Would be curious the effects with modern trucks under stress.