Trading In Before 1 Year

It’ll be a beating! You have to love your vehicle though. I traded in a 2019 Trail Boss w/ 11500 miles for a 2020 AT4 (I wanted out of my 8-Spd and wanted something nicer). I absolutely hated the clunky ride of the AT4. Traded it today w/ 560 miles for a new Denali. To be honest, I feel great about it. I really did hate the clunky ride of that AT4 though. I came out feeling good about the money exchanged on the trail boss, but this last trade was a nice 10-11k loss. 

Edited by Gthompson
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gthompson said:

It’ll be a beating! You have to love your vehicle though. I traded in a 2019 Trail Boss w/ 11500 miles for a 2020 AT4 (I wanted out of my 8-Spd and wanted something nicer). I absolutely hated the clunky ride of the AT4. Traded it today w/ 560 miles for a new Denali. To be honest, I feel great about it. I really did hate the clunky ride of that AT4 though. I came out feeling good about the money exchanged on the trail boss, but this last trade was a nice 10-11k loss. 

My 2020 AT4 is silky smooth.  Not yet experienced anything clunky.  We all use words differently, but something had to be wrong with yours if it was anything less than smooth.  Every time I drive mine, I'm shocked how smooth a body lift truck on Duratracs is.

1 hour ago, Carson214 said:

There is no way that you got 40k for trade.Show some docs to prove it or it is false.

1 hour ago, Carson214 said:

Also the dealer would want 45 or more if they gave you 40 lmao no way it happened.You can buy a new one for 41,900 right?

52 minutes ago, bmoney5813 said:

image.jpg

LOL. Quit calling people liars. 

Thank you so much for posting that picture. Just because one person didn't get the deal they wanted does not mean no one else will/does. I got the exact same for my 2018 selling it back to the dealer as i paid for it. Owned it for 2 months. I just was not happy with it. I have purchased a bunch of vehicles from them and i have a good relationship with the used vehicle manager. He had a buyer that was looking for a truck like i had and he flipped it for $500 to the dealership. Seller happy, buyer happy, dealer happy. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, 453030 said:

My 2020 AT4 is silky smooth.  Not yet experienced anything clunky.  We all use words differently, but something had to be wrong with yours if it was anything less than smooth.  Every time I drive mine, I'm shocked how smooth a body lift truck on Duratracs is.

Smooth on the road, but I had a whole thread on this related to the slow speed clunking sounds. Slow speeds in the neighborhood, pulling up the driveway, parking lots, etc. I took it in 3 times and I test drove multiple AT4s, 3 actually, and they did the same. Mine just happened to be a little louder and more obvious. I think people that are more used to lifted trucks might have different expectations. I definitely prefer the Denali ride style, but that’s why they have options. 

Was it worth the beating I took trading it in already? Not to most people, but it was the right call for me.

Edited by Gthompson

3 minutes ago, smrr1 said:

LOL. Quit calling people liars. 

Thank you so much for posting that picture. Just because one person didn't get the deal they wanted does not mean no one else will/does. I got the exact same for my 2018 selling it back to the dealer as i paid for it. Owned it for 2 months. I just was not happy with it. I have purchased a bunch of vehicles from them and i have a good relationship with the used vehicle manager. He had a buyer that was looking for a truck like i had and he flipped it for $500 to the dealership. Seller happy, buyer happy, dealer happy. 

My 2019 Trail Boss, which I paid 41k for got 39k trade in with 11500 right at the 1 year mark. Now my AT4 with just over 500 didn’t do so well. I paid 53,500 and only got 48k trade credit. Add on tax, dealer fees and that depreciation and it hurt! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gthompson said:

My 2019 Trail Boss, which I paid 41k for got 39k trade in with 11500 right at the 1 year mark. Now my AT4 with just over 500 didn’t do so well. I paid 53,500 and only got 48k trade credit. Add on tax, dealer fees and that depreciation and it hurt! 

Yep. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gthompson said:

Why does the “like” icon have to be a heart? Should just be a thumbs up like other forums!

I have said that so many times. A truck forum with almost all male forum members does not need a heart as a like. 

40 minutes ago, Gthompson said:

Smooth on the road, but I had a whole thread on this related to the slow speed clunking sounds. Slow speeds in the neighborhood, pulling up the driveway, parking lots, etc. I took it in 3 times and I test drove multiple AT4s, 3 actually, and they did the same. Mine just happened to be a little louder and more obvious. I think people that are more used to lifted trucks might have different expectations. I definitely prefer the Denali ride style, but that’s why they have options. 

Was it worth the beating I took trading it in already? Not to most people, but it was the right call for me.

Wow, I guess I got a good one.  Mine does nothing like that and the window does not leak ?

Don't worry what most people think (and I can tell you don't, good for you).  You are driving what you want, if it cost more to arrive at it... smoke 'em if you got 'em!

7 hours ago, vancealot29 said:

Hey All,

Looking for positive/negative feedback on trading my truck in.  I've had the truck about 8 months and put about 13k miles on, 2019 LTZ with most of the option packages.  I love everything about the truck, except for my clunky 8 speed.  Two dealers have indicated that the transmission is working like it is supposed to.  The only money I have really put into it is a Tonneau and Husky Mats, which would transfer to a 2020.  I also partially regret not waiting for a 2020 simply for the adaptive cruise control, since most of my miles are highway.

The truck stickered at over $55k, and after rebates and TTL, I think the total was around $47k.  I put $5k down plus a $1500 trade in, and financed the balance with my interest at 2.9%.  I think I still owe about $38k, which is about what KBB shows its value is.

My question is,  how big of a hit would I take to trade the vehicle in now in order to hopefully get a 10 speed with ACC?  With everything that is going on, I know the dealers will be incentivized to move trucks and they are even advertising 0%.

In reading the forums, it seems like numerous people trade their trucks in after a very short period.  Is it possible to upgrade to a similarly loaded vehicle while keeping my payments the same, or less?  Is there anything I am missing in my math?  What is the incentive for the dealer, besides moving a unit?  It seems like it could be doable, especially in a (potentially) recessed economy.

Thanks in advance!

You're gonna take a big hit, but right now (like now) might be the best time to do that.  I say that b/c they are offering 0% interest for 84 months PLUS 4 months of Deferred Payments.  So that savings will help you soften the blow big time.  

Also, just double check on your KBB $38K.  Is that "dealer trade in" or is it private party value?  Most dealers will be right in that zone of what KBB Trade-In says, but they will start by offering you the bottom of the range on the KBB Trade-In, your job will be to get them to offer you the top of the KBB Trade-In range.   

1 minute ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

You're gonna take a big hit, but right now (like now) might be the best time to do that.  I say that b/c they are offering 0% interest for 84 months PLUS 4 months of Deferred Payments.  So that savings will help you soften the blow big time.  

Also, just double check on your KBB $38K.  Is that "dealer trade in" or is it private party value?  Most dealers will be right in that zone of what KBB Trade-In says, but they will start by offering you the bottom of the range on the KBB Trade-In, your job will be to get them to offer you the top of the KBB Trade-In range.   

0/84 and 4 deferred only appears to soften the blow. Reality is it extends the blow. The 1 and only way that pays off is if you keep it for 89 months and it doesn't get wrecked but i do get the initial satisfaction. No payment then low payment right away. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

The middle range of the trade in (very good, not excellent condition) is $37,851, with the bottom being $36,343 and the top end being $39,358.

I'm pretty sure it won't be worth it to me, but as you said, if there is a time, it could be now, or possibly in the coming month or two.

I will probably speak to the dealer next week just to get some preliminary numbers. I think I will know my answer fairly quickly after that.

Screenshot_20200326-214116_Chrome Beta.jpg

2 hours ago, Gthompson said:

Wow. I just looked back and saw the details here. Didn't you just buy that at4 the other day? Traded the white TB for the black AT4? I was thinking that was an awesome trade up for you. Now a denali a day later. Ouch that has got to hurt. Post up pics of the denali!!! A question i have always had for people that trade that fast is did you not notice the problem during the test drive or did you have tunnel vision for the 6.2/10? I own an AT4 myself but never drove the TB. Was there a difference between the TB and the AT4? Just curious. Also glad you are happy with the final outcome. Thats all that matters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 453030 said:

Wow, I guess I got a good one.  Mine does nothing like that and the window does not leak ?

Don't worry what most people think (and I can tell you don't, good for you).  You are driving what you want, if it cost more to arrive at it... smoke 'em if you got 'em!

I'm glad you got a good one. I wonder if your location, or the configuration (since you mentioned duratracs), changes where it is assembled or manufactured? All of the ones sold here in this area seem to come with 20s and the less aggressive tires, which include all of the ones that I test drove, and the one I bought. Not to get too far into it, but I was researching this stuff every night for the last couple weeks! I think maybe someone is rolling out some bad ones. My Trail Boss definitely didn't have any suspension noise and it's the same suspension setup. Anyway, not for this thread and not for me to worry about anymore. I still love the look of the AT4s the most! Glad you're enjoying it!

Sorry for taking the thread off topic!

Edited by Gthompson