2015 6.0 Burned Spark Plugs

Hey guys. Out of curiosity the other day, I replaced the plugs on my 2015 6.0. It seemed like the truck would slightly misfire on a cold start for a few seconds and then clear up, hence my curiosity. Truck has 47,300 miles on it at the moment. I found that 4 out of the 8 plugs i pulled had the electrodes burned off.

Any reasons you can think of why this would happen? I live in Wisconsin and it does sit outside in the winter time without a block heater, so the only thing i can think of is excessive idle time.

Thanks for the help!

20200405_184338.jpg

These are the OE Delco 41-110 plugs that were in the truck since new, and as far as I know they are Iridium plugs. I was just a little shocked to see something like that with low miles.

Maybe check the fuel trims?  If the engine is running lean for whatever reason, it burns hotter, which would result in the plugs burning like that.

Note, the fuel trims reading may say the engine is running rich (ie, the O2 sensors read too much fuel, so the pcm orders less fuel injected into the motor).

I unknowingly installed counterfeit AC Delco plugs in my truck (purchased from Amazon) and in less than 5k miles they looked like that. I know you say they are original (and with that mileage it makes sense) but damn there would have to be something wrong with your truck to eat them that fast if they weren't a cheapo/ fake plug.

3 of the plugs came out of the driver's side bank (CYL 1,3,5) and the last came out of the passenger side bank (CYL 6). 

I don't run the truck particularly hard. It's a tow pig in the summer time for my boat, but that's only a couple times a month... and it's only about 5,000 pounds fully loaded so I'd hardly say the truck is being worked hard. 

I forgot to mention in my original post that the truck is completely stock, minus a muffler change.

I have a buddy who is a tech for a local GM dealer, I may have him take a look at things sometime soon.

It's always gotten decent fuel mileage unloaded. Hell, I was able to make it from where I live in Wisconsin down to Louisville, KY on a single tank of fuel... all while hitting stop and go traffic in Chicago and Indianapolis. 

I try to use quality gasoline when I fill up (Top Tier)... maybe got a bad tank of gas sometime in the past.

That's why you never buy the line that "these are 100,000 mile plugs"  or "This fluid doesn't have to be changed for 100,000 miles" 

Establish a service schedule, I like to do plugs every 36,000 miles or so, Kinda like back in the old days, fluids get done every 30,000-50,000 miles depending on what fluid. 

32 minutes ago, Colossus said:

That's why you never buy the line that "these are 100,000 mile plugs"  or "This fluid doesn't have to be changed for 100,000 miles" 

Establish a service schedule, I like to do plugs every 36,000 miles or so, Kinda like back in the old days, fluids get done every 30,000-50,000 miles depending on what fluid. 

Sure, you can do that, but that just covers up the problem.

Those plugs don't normally look like that after 50k.  Something did that, either they were defective/knockoff (unlikely as it sounds like they were original) plugs, or the engine is running too hot, or something weird is happening with spark generation, or perhaps somethings up with the fuel.  And I would also go with the idea that whatever the problem is, burning up the spark plugs isn't the only things being damaged...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Did you ever find out what was going on? My 15' 6.0 did the same to its plugs in about 33k. 

However, I'm also having a knock/detonation issue I can't seem to sort out. 10-14 degrees of knock ****** at 3000+ rpm on a stock tune with 93... something's definitely wrong. It takes some pretty harsh cylinder conditions to ruin plugs like that, did you notice it being particularly down on power or slow?

Hello all,

I never really found out what was going on with the truck. It never seemed down on power, or felt like it had ever stumbled under load. I chalk it up to a bad batch (or two) of gasoline I picked up during my travels, but I'm not totally sure.