Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

4 minutes ago, customboss said:

Exxon before it was combined with Mobil wrote in depth papers on greenhouse gas forming issues from their hydrocarbons. That paper is now available but was published and hidden by Exxon in mid to 1970’s but don’t let facts I interrupt “belief”. 

So you’re convinced that climate change is caused by humans. Yet you and other believers still drive trucks. I don’t and I drive my truck sparingly. My house is all electric. I keep my thermostat reasonable. To be conservative. The ultimate climate pushers fly private, live in large houses at coastlines. And shake their finger at us. Hypocrites. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

So you’re convinced that climate change is caused by humans. Yet you and other believers still drive trucks. I don’t and I drive my truck sparingly. My house is all electric. I keep my thermostat reasonable. To be conservative. The ultimate climate pushers fly private, live in large houses at coastlines. And shake their finger at us. Hypocrites. 

If you ever decide to actually read studies get back to us. Your generalized platitudes are below your intellect. You seem to choose to be willfully misinformed. I engage you out of respect. 
What you or I believe or decide is infinitesimal to mass actions. Warming is an issue that’s not arguable. How we collectively deal with is. You conflate things that aren’t related to fact.  

12 minutes ago, customboss said:

If you ever decide to actually read studies get back to us. Your generalized platitudes are below your intellect. You seem to choose to be willfully misinformed. I engage you out of respect. 
What you or I believe or decide is infinitesimal to mass actions. Warming is an issue that’s not arguable. How we collectively deal with is. You conflate things that aren’t related to fact.  

I have and they go both ways. You are narrow minded. Usually someone has an agenda or is getting paid. I suppose you believe the ice age was caused by humans. Dinosaurs? So I guess it’s stretch for you to believe warming is just a natural event. You continue to amaze me with your absolute beliefs.

I apologize for leading us down this road. I know climate change does occur naturally over long periods of time.  We are very rapidly speeding up the process.  Shut downs during Covid found a significant mass of people slowing down their "contribution" to the problem which apparently had measurable results.  I believe we have the ability now, without a horrible amount of personal sacrifice, to permanently and significantly  reduce/slow our negative impact.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I apologize for leading us down this road. I know climate change does occur naturally over long periods of time.  We are very rapidly speeding up the process.  Shut downs during Covid found a significant mass of people slowing down their "contribution" to the problem which apparently had measurable results.  I believe we have the ability now, without a horrible amount of personal sacrifice, to permanently and significantly  reduce/slow our negative impact.

No problem keep sharing your beliefs that’s how we evolve. I’ve seen experts on both sides. No one really knows absolutely. That just shuts down debate. And we don’t learn. Some people point at pollution call it permanent. There’s been a reversal with that. You end up with the California model where no one can afford to live there. 

18 hours ago, KARNUT said:

You continue to amaze me with your absolute beliefs.

Not surprised you said this @KARNUT. I'm surprise to whom you said it. @customboss. In a humorous way. 

It requires only two things to convince him to change a belief or idea. Proof is one. Getting him to accept the source of that proof. That one is a bit harder. Prove the proof. :P BUT...it can be done. He's not unreasonable, he is convinced. Most of us suffer this condition. Fact is humans rely on this state of mind to make decisions that require zero conscious thought. Like planting crops. A farmer doesn't plant seedlings of soybeans after 'proving' that seed will sprout into a soybean plant; he plants the seed convinced it will.

Trouble comes when we believe in the absolute regardless of context or condition. For example, we can make this statement. "Humans are ABSOULUTLY the ONLY source that contributes to global warming" and yes, we do contribute, but no, we are not the only source. It is true that this planet cycles. Both happen but are not mutually exclusive. Humans can do nothing to sway anything that is outside their sphere of control, but humans do have some impact on our sphere of influence. We can't control the weather, but we can influence it. Enough to tip the scales. 

My personal belief is that the creator of this wonderful world built a self-sufficient, self-sustaining planet that is self-healing and constantly recycling and is still in this day and age not well understood by those he populated it with. At least not well enough to outweigh the greed and corruption. We don't have to FIX anything. We have to get out of the way in whatever form that may take. Often, that means STOP tipping the scale. It's our greed and arrogance that convinces us that this is not enough and that we need to START doing something else. Something we are equally ignorant in, of and forever will be. 

Humans are funny. We take too much credit for what we do not do and not nearly enough for what we do. It's why we rule poorly even with the best of systems we can think up. 

We were created in HIS 'image' not with his power, judgment and wisdom. But only a fraction of the planet believes this so....... Division is the best we can do and the best we have ever done or are capable of. Even this will be debated. Proof of the proof is right in front of us and still we are blind. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Funny y’all! Hey here’s what Cummins has been doing in Covid free time. Making engines that can burn about any fuel including hydrogen it makes via an electrolyzer on board in situ. No need to store hydrogen!! 
https://stocks.apple.com/Ahy1CM4-UR1uj2VcR-aGaDw

Edited by customboss

51 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Not surprised you said this @KARNUT. I'm surprise to whom you said it. @customboss. In a humorous way. 

It requires only two things to convince him to change a belief or idea. Proof is one. Getting him to accept the source of that proof. That one is a bit harder. Prove the proof. :P BUT...it can be done. He's not unreasonable, he is convinced. Most of us suffer this condition. Fact is humans rely on this state of mind to make decisions that require zero conscious thought. Like planting crops. A farmer doesn't plant seedlings of soybeans after 'proving' that seed will sprout into a soybean plant; he plants the seed convinced it will.

Trouble comes when we believe in the absolute regardless of context or condition. For example, we can make this statement. "Humans are ABSOULUTLY the ONLY source that contributes to global warming" and yes, we do contribute, but no, we are not the only source. It is true that this planet cycles. Both happen but are not mutually exclusive. Humans can do nothing to sway anything that is outside their sphere of control, but humans do have some impact on our sphere of influence. We can't control the weather, but we can influence it. Enough to tip the scales. 

My personal belief is that the creator of this wonderful world built a self-sufficient, self-sustaining planet that is self-healing and constantly recycling and is still in this day and age not well understood by those he populated it with. At least not well enough to outweigh the greed and corruption. We don't have to FIX anything. We have to get out of the way in whatever form that may take. Often, that means STOP tipping the scale. It's our greed and arrogance that convinces us that this is not enough and that we need to START doing something else. Something we are equally ignorant in, of and forever will be. 

Humans are funny. We take too much credit for what we do not do and not nearly enough for what we do. It's why we rule poorly even with the best of systems we can think up. 

We were created in HIS 'image' not with his power, judgment and wisdom. But only a fraction of the planet believes this so....... Division is the best we can do and the best we have ever done or are capable of. Even this will be debated. Proof of the proof is right in front of us and still we are blind. 

Something else absolutely. As it’s proven many, many times. Make it convenient, fun, useful and reasonably priced. People will bite. I remember years ago I went home for a class reunion 5 years. Many homes had little windmills. Probably promised like solar panels they’ll pay for themselves. Went back for the fifteen, they were gone. 

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Something else absolutely. As it’s proven many, many times. Make it convenient, fun, useful and reasonably priced. People will bite. I remember years ago I went home for a class reunion 5 years. Many homes had little windmills. Probably promised like solar panels they’ll pay for themselves. Went back for the fifteen, they were gone. 

There are also many who can be convinced of anything because they will accept anything as proof as long as it aligns with their beliefs, hopes and wishes. 

"Deep Fakes" make this snap the fingers easy. There was a program on Sunday morning with Jane Pauley. It centered on a story about the larger tech companies banding together to write programs to uncover 'deep fakes' with a huge list of companies and platforms already willing to use it. It's a problem. More for some than others. Dangerous for all.  

• Like 1

One of my personal objectives during my uncommitted time is to make my garage a place for me to make a mess.  (A man cave)  I read yesterday that wives generally like the man cave idea because it is a place to contain the mess made by the man.  The female is usually in charge of the rest of the house and sets it up to suit her wishes.  After I read this article, I looked around the house and concluded the garage is the only room in the house that is within my control!  This research is a result of me trying to come up with name for a spare bedroom my wife has recently setup for her den. (ie lady cave)  Boy, is her room spotless!  While growing up I had a tendency to stereotype old couples.  My aunts, uncles, grandparents had homes that were typically spotless and you had to be very careful not to disturb anything.  The male was often found in an easy chair and often unkempt.  There was usually a  space in a basement or garage that the man stored his prized tools!   I'm glad this won't happen to me.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Count me as agnostic on the religion twist. We can't agree on earthly facts like Brandon actually protecting us from EMP but we love the myth that MAGA man talked about it but DID nothing.   Will anyone on this ad ridden board agree on fact?  I doubt it because groupthink won't allow our myths to be busted.  Why this is my ONLY social media. Its been taken over by lowest common denominator of lies, deceit and misinfo.  

Old and retired here so not driving a whole lot anymore therefor my carbon footprint from fuel usage is pretty minimal. Methane has been identified as a greenhouse gas and is on the climate activists list. First climate warrior that confronts me with "I need to give up prime rib and eat crickets" will be lucky to walk away from said confrontation with only a zap from a cattle prod.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, garagerog said:

Old and retired here so not driving a whole lot anymore therefor my carbon footprint from fuel usage is pretty minimal. Methane has been identified as a greenhouse gas and is on the climate activists list. First climate warrior that confronts me with "I need to give up prime rib and eat crickets" will be lucky to walk away from said confrontation with only a zap from a cattle prod.

Don't give up that natural gas stove either......