Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That is sweet. We use to have a 70 but it never looked that good. Nice work sir. 

Do you have all the attachments?

Thanks Grumpy!
This Cub has been in the family 40+ years. Dad bought it when I was very young and he gave it to me in 2009. I have the original mower deck for it as well as a Brinly plow and disc, a front blade with hydraulic angle and a hydraulic dump trailer I built. I added hydraulics to the tractor using a GM power steering pump. 

1A0195D3-6B7B-412D-8AF7-DC8766C21512.jpeg

2 hours ago, HoosierZ said:

Thanks Grumpy!
This Cub has been in the family 40+ years. Dad bought it when I was very young and he gave it to me in 2009. I have the original mower deck for it as well as a Brinly plow and disc, a front blade with hydraulic angle and a hydraulic dump trailer I built. I added hydraulics to the tractor using a GM power steering pump. 

1A0195D3-6B7B-412D-8AF7-DC8766C21512.jpeg

The 70 we had was a puller... ever hear of these guys? https://vogelmanufacturing.com/about

"All dressed up and nowhere to go!"  I find myself organizing for activities or events that have a strong likelihood of never occurring.  There is an inherent amount of this from being in the post-work stage of life but Covid19 has really altered planning for the near future.   Christmas travel plans, for example, would already be in place.  Family would often come here or we'd go there.  We're all fully committed to doing our part to reduce the potential for spread and are all planning for spending the time celebrating with our respective home-based family.  I am fine with doing things differently and will make the best of my additional  free-time.  However, my kids are going to inherit some really clean tool boxes! ? 

• Haha 1

We usually have very large gatherings starting at thanksgiving through the super bowl. It’s going to be buffet style with flex time and just the kids and grandkids. Unless weather permits outside. That could change of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, txab said:

At least I can take it easy this Holiday season. No cooking for large groups this year since people won't be gathering as usual. I'm kinda looking forward to a more quiet season

Many years ago we found the big extended family dinners were losing their charm. They were a lot of work for a few and not really fun for all.  We found small, immediate family, dinner(s) much more enjoyable.  Also, weather or family illness has found my wife and I alone on Christmas (except for Skype) a couple of times in recent history.  I must admit those alone times have a very special place in my memories.     However, I think our copious amount of alone time over the past several months may take some of the intimacy away from a quiet Christmas. ?   Regardless, the inside and outside of our home will be decorated as if we had a house full of excited children!

• Like 2

The certainty of these uncertain times is their uncertainty. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) I am a less than two weeks away from the 5 yr. anniversary of my truck purchase.  It is going in for a thorough inspection as my powertrain warranty also expires on this date. I feel this would be the optimal time to get the best trade-in price and the best purchase price on the outgoing 2020's. This was the time and type of deal I made on my two previous trucks.   A new truck always brings me a great deal of pleasure and excitement but I am hesitant to add a loan payment to our budget.  My dealer currently has a SLE 1500 Diesel with max tow that is getting a lot of my attention!  So far,  a paid for '15 V6 6spd. is beating a'20 Diesel 10spd. with a lien!  I truly appreciate how fortunate I am to have such a dilemma!

• Like 1

One of the moderators, kstruckcountry, has an 06 with 220,000 who made this statement, "To be honest, I regret taking such good care of the body. I now have a straight, swirl free body with no scratches that is rusting from all the spot welds anyway."

I could only hope for such a problem. Pepper looks pretty good yet but I can feel my body slowing down this last year. Such efforts take some energy. I already have the time ? 

• Like 1

The certainty of these uncertain times is their uncertainty. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) I am a less than two weeks away from the 5 yr. anniversary of my truck purchase.  It is going in for a thorough inspection as my powertrain warranty also expires on this date. I feel this would be the optimal time to get the best trade-in price and the best purchase price on the outgoing 2020's. This was the time and type of deal I made on my two previous trucks.   A new truck always brings me a great deal of pleasure and excitement but I am hesitant to add a loan payment to our budget.  My dealer currently has a SLE 1500 Diesel with max tow that is getting a lot of my attention!  So far,  a paid for '15 V6 6spd. is beating a'20 Diesel 10spd. with a lien!  I truly appreciate how fortunate I am to have such a dilemma!

I don’t like any new ones. I bought a clean old one. Being retired gives me the luxury. I spent about 6K a year on payments. I spent about that drive out on this one. I’m almost at a year. Break even in my mind. So at one year I’m going to give it a treat. The leather wore on the drivers side. I’ll get it recovered. I get bored with it I’ll upgrade something. Maybe a new radio with Bluetooth and get rid of the Bluetooth speaker. You get the idea. Unless in a few months I find a different cherry old truck. I’ll have no problem getting my money back on this one. I’m already at even money. My last old truck was sold when I bought this one. That’s one way I spend my free time. Searching old trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

So at one year I’m going to give it a treat. 

I find this is the most effective strategy to get me out of my passion for a new truck.  Spending money on my current truck will usually rekindle my appreciation for my truck.  Yesterday, I discovered a no cost performance enhancement for my V6!    my local gas bar now has fuel for E85 vehicles.  After owning flex fuel vehicles for over 10 years, I topped of my tank with this fuel for the first time. I am looking forward to my daily rounds today!  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

One of the moderators, kstruckcountry, has an 06 with 220,000 who made this statement, "To be honest, I regret taking such good care of the body. I now have a straight, swirl free body with no scratches that is rusting from all the spot welds anyway."

I could only hope for such a problem. Pepper looks pretty good yet but I can feel my body slowing down this last year. Such efforts take some energy. I already have the time ? 

My 08 was rusting from the inside out as well, with 205,000 miles on it.  But it also had previous body damage that was repaired very crappily (not a word, is it?) which contributed to this.  Uggh what a bummer, I was wanting a truck that would last me 400,00+ miles without major rust issues. 

• Thanks 1

Our local home schooling programme is bursting at the seams. Students enrolled in home school  have teachers they can contact for help but because of high numbers, sparked by Covid, this help is not always readily available. I was asked to help a neighbour with their grade 8 math assignment last night.  Wow!   How did I manage to pass grade 8 pre-internet!? Or later teach this stuff?  I found myself helping him refine his "search" skills more than his math skills!