Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I saw a small group of local protesters on TV demonstrating against masks and now I see the US president finally dawning a mask in photos.  Making something so basic such a big political football is mind boggling.  There are a variety of motivations for wearing a mask.  When I started a few months ago, I was a little  skeptical but my main motivation was to do my part. It was logical to me that a physical barrier would help reduce the spread of germs.  (I know that like other barrier forms of protection, they are not 100% ?)   Our region's numbers are comparatively low but along with relaxing restrictions have come rising numbers.   My thoughts today are on what I can do more as an individual.  I admit, I've become a little more "social" lately.  First of all, I'm going to Costco and buy a box of their disposable masks.  I'm going to give a sample to a couple of my friends who find masks a nuisance.  (Steam up glasses, bother ears etc.)  I find not all masks are created equal but the ones I buy at Costco are the best for comfort and price.  I am also going to carry an extra mask to offer someone I know who I may encounter in my travels.  I may also employ a strategy that I use when walking my dog.   When  the opportunity presents itself, I politely offer them a bag "in case they don't have one".    I've never been refused.   Protests and arguing online are tools open to everyone but don't preclude the need for us to step up as individuals.  (Tip:  Buy/wear t-shirts with pocket.  Very handy for mask.) I am interested if you have other simple strategies to help being part of the solution.

• Like 1

I got my first "professional" haircut yesterday since last February.  I actually prefer long hair but it's not a good look when the top of your head refuses to participate in the hair growing process.  The place I went to had all of their signage  and practices in place.  Customers and staff were all behaving in a new normal with zero complaints or inconvenience.  I have gone several weeks now when I've felt uncomfortable in a store or in public.  The majority of people, imo, are on board or at least playing along!  Thank you for doing your part!  

• 2 weeks later...

We are in an area which doesn't have a compulsory mask wearing order.   Like most places, such an order receives a lot of debate.  I think it's very sad that individuals at this point need to be told to wear a mask when in close proximity to others in public. I know it often takes awhile for everyone "to get the message" but  this is ridiculous.  Our Costco gives out very comfortable masks at the entrance yet I'd estimate at least half of the patrons are walking around the store bare faced.  I appreciate that physical challenges impede the ability of some to wear a mask but the majority of Saturday shoppers at Costco are capable!  If you have influence over someone who is too selfish to make mask wearing a habit, please help them get the message!  

We are in an area which doesn't have a compulsory mask wearing order.   Like most places, such an order receives a lot of debate.  I think it's very sad that individuals at this point need to be told to wear a mask when in close proximity to others in public. I know it often takes awhile for everyone "to get the message" but  this is ridiculous.  Our Costco gives out very comfortable masks at the entrance yet I'd estimate at least half of the patrons are walking around the store bare faced.  I appreciate that physical challenges impede the ability of some to wear a mask but the majority of Saturday shoppers at Costco are capable!  If you have influence over someone who is too selfish to make mask wearing a habit, please help them get the message!  

I’m about as conservative as they come. I live in the most conservative country in Texas. Every where I go 99.9 percent of the people and every place is following the guidelines. Hand sanitizer everywhere and six foot floor coverings. It certainly feels like an infringement. I willing to do it temporarily. Saying that I think everything should be open and follow the guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the optometrist for my annual eye checkup.  The Covid19 protocols were very strict but didn't interfere with the thoroughness of my exam.  In an informal discussion, my Dr. mentioned that some able patients have been turned away because they don't want to wear a mask.  I find it so sad that there are individuals who believe this to be appropriate.  Not only do they appear uncaring toward others, they aren't caring for themselves!  Eyes respond well to proactive care and are poor candidates for repair when they are broken. Using masks as an excuse to avoid a checkup is double ignorance.  I am not using the word ignorant as an insult.  I truly believe if these individuals knew the potential benefits of mask wearing and/or proactive eye care, they wouldn't be missing their appointments.  If someone you know, is postponing Doctors' appointments because of Covid19, please help them fill in the missing blanks of knowledge.  

I recently had my teeth cleaned. There’s an occupation that could be stressful in these current times. I’d stated I’m very conservative, and worry about some overreacting in certain areas. Mask wearing is a no brainer for me. It’s provides comfort to the other guy. It lowers their stress. It reminds the user of other habitats to being healthy.

This reminds me....   Last Thursday I took a friend to a hygienist appointment.  He is disabled and cannot put on a mask or get out of the way of others without assistance.  Spending a day with such an individual made me appreciate how lucky I am that I can wear a mask!  .  

Our schools start in September.  Growing up and throughout my work career, my body is tuned to the school calendar.  By mid- August I start feeling anxious about school start-up even though I retired several years ago!    You might say that September is my body's fiscal New Year!  I want to send a heartfelt shout-out to all of those members working at, or attending, a school this fall. Hopefully, your school's environment/delivery model has changed significantly to ensure safety for all!  I would love to hear any unique changes/ideas/plans that your school has adopted with respect to Covid19 protocols.  A positive aspect of this pandemic is it opens the door to change.  We quickly and loudly hear about the bad, but there is also good.  I've been concerned for years about the crowding in schools and now there is widespread understanding of the downfalls of this practice.  As a small example, crowding 400 students and 30 staff into a small elementary school gymnasium was never a healthy idea, imo, but we'd did it several times a year!   I'm sure/hope this and similar practices have changed in your schools.

I live in a smallish city where we've done a good job of adhering to our provincial and federal health officers' guidelines.  Mask wearing is not yet compulsory so it is easy to spot those sincerely wishing to do their part.  A couple of weeks ago, I started to feel a little uneasy in a box store that I frequent.  I noticed that there were noticeably fewer  patrons wearing masks, following the floor arrows or  social distancing than on other recent visits.  I concluded that we are becoming complacent with our consistently low daily number of infections.   I asked myself, " What can I do more?"  I figured not everyone in my city reads the Coronavirus thread on the GM Truck forum so  I decided to try an older, yet still effective, strategy.  I wrote a letter to the editor of our one remaining home delivered newspaper.  Responses to my published plea to not become complacent were all positive.  The beauty of a "letter to the editor" (and responses) is that they have to be thoughtfully worded. I feel much better when I do something positive rather than complain.  I am motivated by the reality that,  "'If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem!" 

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Donstar said:

I live in a smallish city where we've done a good job of adhering to our provincial and federal health officers' guidelines.  Mask wearing is not yet compulsory so it is easy to spot those sincerely wishing to do their part.  A couple of weeks ago, I started to feel a little uneasy in a box store that I frequent.  I noticed that there were noticeably fewer  patrons wearing masks, following the floor arrows or  social distancing than on other recent visits.  I concluded that we are becoming complacent with our consistently low daily number of infections.   I asked myself, " What can I do more?"  I figured not everyone in my city reads the Coronavirus thread on the GM Truck forum so  I decided to try an older, yet still effective, strategy.  I wrote a letter to the editor of our one remaining home delivered newspaper.  Responses to my published plea to not become complacent were all positive.  The beauty of a "letter to the editor" (and responses) is that they have to be thoughtfully worded. I feel much better when I do something positive rather than complain.  I am motivated by the reality that,  "'If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem!" 

Sorry Donstar, I didn't realize you were in here all alone. You were the right guy for that job :) 

• Like 1

I hate the damn arrows on the floor at Walmart especially when I need an item right on the end. I have been knows to turn my cart around and walk backwards [emoji16]

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I hate the damn arrows on the floor at Walmart especially when I need an item right on the end. I have been knows to turn my cart around and walk backwards emoji16.png

Ryan B.

The stores around here have pretty removed removed them. They only helped during the panic buying period. Keep herding cattle in the same direction for efficiency, until you get the people that can't make up their mind as to what they want to buy. Then the traffic pattern becomes congested and stops. I just pick my times when the stores are pretty empty

3 hours ago, txab said:

The stores around here have pretty removed removed them. They only helped during the panic buying period. Keep herding cattle in the same direction for efficiency, until you get the people that can't make up their mind as to what they want to buy. Then the traffic pattern becomes congested and stops. I just pick my times when the stores are pretty empty 

Ditto.

• Like 1

After arriving in Myrtle Beach we went to Walmart for supplies. Just like in my town you can only go in one side like cattle. So everyone is jamming one side of the parking lot. Lined up at the entrance shoulder to shoulder. Hitting the registers at the same side, al jammed up. Most stores are the same. Once in the store everyone is spread out. Went to our favorite restaurant here. Every other table closed. The bar, jammed. This is all pretty much show. Can’t wait in a couple years we’ll know the truth, kinda like the Trump- Russia bogus story. Most masks will be deemed useless. Most people will be effective until herd immunity. We’re just essentially slow the curve a little. Just like it was said in the beginning. Before the left started using this as weapon against the president. It then became political.