Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

One of the favorite spare time activities for the forth of July has been cancelled by our genius leaders. They close the beaches. Probably one of the safest places to be. I’m pretty sure people are getting the idea they need to back off a little. But of course our leaders know what best for us. Maybe the youngsters need to stage a demonstration at the beach. Every one knows covid doesn’t effect anyone during those. It would be safe and legal. Just ask our glorious leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

One of the favorite spare time activities for the forth of July has been cancelled by our genius leaders. They close the beaches. Probably one of the safest places to be. I’m pretty sure people are getting the idea they need to back off a little. But of course our leaders know what best for us. Maybe the youngsters need to stage a demonstration at the beach. Every one knows covid doesn’t effect anyone during those. It would be safe and legal. Just ask our glorious leaders.

Yesterday was our equivalent to your 4th of July and it was unique.   The 6 o'clock news was full of special ways people chose to safely honor the day.  I actually believe more people made a greater effort to make their appreciation heard!  Even my lame dog's buggy was decked in Canadian flags!  This day is also the same as my wife's (of 40+ years) birthday.  She reports this was the best birthday ever so I'll also take this as a win!  Your 4th of July will be different but celebrate (safely) for the reasons you've done in the past!  I hope you wake up the next day remembering what a fun day it was and how lucky you are to be in this great country! I did!

• Like 1

They canceled the fireworks that most of our residents could view from their own backyard. But hey, the parade is still a go. Only one catch...they won’t tell you where it is. ?

15DDF79A-C163-409C-92B9-0DF3A5A0EF50.thumb.jpeg.f6db8bca2abeaefd2820dfea1ebbfdc2.jpeg

Just as well I guess, I wouldn’t attend anyway.

Have this rat’s nest to fight with in spare time. Ordered a complete Chevelle harness with modern blade fuse box to rewire the whole car. Dash harness / fuse box/ bulkhead connector are not reproduced for Olds but I should be able to adapt most of it from the Chevy part with the main modifications being on the cluster wiring.

6DE487BF-4584-4A23-8F0E-F7B3D89B9A40.thumb.jpeg.6e01f21ed8987c432df3076277998b26.jpeg

Not much else I can do if I want reliability. I’ve come across about 6 wire nuts and several other splices, the fuse holders are all rusty, many wire jackets are cracked, and the bulkhead connectors have turned to dust. 

Gotta try to make the best of this awful year.

• Like 1

Yesterday was our equivalent to your 4th of July and it was unique.   The 6 o'clock news was full of special ways people chose to safely honor the day.  I actually believe more people made a greater effort to make their appreciation heard!  Even my lame dog's buggy was decked in Canadian flags!  This day is also the same as my wife's (of 40+ years) birthday.  She reports this was the best birthday ever so I'll also take this as a win!  Your 4th of July will be different but celebrate (safely) for the reasons you've done in the past!  I hope you wake up the next day remembering what a fun day it was and how lucky you are to be in this great country! I did!

I wake up every day thankful for everything. I’m worried that some our freedoms are being eroded. I was listening to a local radio talk show this morning while walking. He has several business at the beach. Last time they locked down the people still came. Instead of being on the beach they jammed the town. Pretty much shoulder to shoulder instead of spread out on the beach.

Great photo!  I'd be worried if I was the one up to bat! [emoji4] 

He is definitely having a good year. Walks are way down (only 1) from last year. Also if you get on you may get picked off. He has attempted 3 of which one was an out and the other two were held at first due to fielding errors

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

I spent three summers in the US when going to University.  July 4th is a very spectacular day and I hope everyone enjoys their day! You can have fun without standing "shoulder to shoulder" with people who do not live in your house.  Yesterday, my wife and I were on the go and out of the house for most of the day.  We saw and spoke with a lot of people.  Open venues were busy and public places like beaches and parks were heavily used.  With the exception of my wife, I never felt the need to be within 6' of anyone.  I had ample  opportunity but if I'm not part of the solution, that means I'm part of the problem. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow is a big day in the US!  I hope not to see our Saturday evening news focus on huge crowds defying social distancing practices!   I know it's easy to excuse good habits because it is a day of celebration and "everyone else is doing it" but doing your part to battle this crisis demonstrates a far greater loyalty, imo.  I celebrated Canada Day (153rd) without breaking any rules of our new normal and in a manner that made it the most memorable since our 100th!  Have a safe and happy Independence Day, friends!  ?   

• Like 2

It's interesting how things evolve/change.  I can now walk by a store display of toilet tissue,  hand sanitizer and/or masks without purchasing my daily limit!  Most stores and services that I use are open and operating in a very safe manner.  I went to a foam shop on Saturday to purchase firmer material for our couch.  I laughed when the owner told me how busy he was filling similar orders.  People are spending a lot of time at home  and realizing their furniture is uncomfortable.  He also says his requests for boat and RV material are the highest ever!  I know that there are people who still resist complying with a new normal but resistance only serves to slow down our ability to get and keep this virus under control.  The owner of this small foam shop was employing exceptionally safe practices.  You had no choice but to comply!  The upside is that when it was my turn, I had his undivided attention and my needs were handled in an extremely efficient manner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been contemplating purchasing a used van for my cross country trips. Not to sleep in. Just to add a bathroom and small refrigerator to bring my food with me. Rest stops and meal stops are what’s keeping me home. I’ve been even contemplating a possible slide in for my Avalanche if it’s possible. Here I thought I had the rest of my life planned. I like my house. But I’m ready to get the hell out!

34 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve been contemplating purchasing a used van for my cross country trips. Not to sleep in. Just to add a bathroom and small refrigerator to bring my food with me. Rest stops and meal stops are what’s keeping me home. I’ve been even contemplating a possible slide in for my Avalanche if it’s possible. Here I thought I had the rest of my life planned. I like my house. But I’m ready to get the hell out!

I believe this is the reason for the spike in RV sales and why we bought a travel trailer a couple of years ago.  Travelling with a refrigerator and washroom in tow can take a lot of stress out of long distance travel!

I believe this is the reason for the spike in RV sales and why we bought a travel trailer a couple of years ago.  Travelling with a refrigerator and washroom in tow can take a lot of stress out of long distance travel!

I lived in a 5th wheel working out of town for many years . Swore I’d never do it again. Just discovered that you can lease them out when not in use. I should have known, I do exactly that with my Myrtle beach condo. I’m going to do more research. I may buy an van type motor home and rent it when I’m not using it.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:56 AM, KARNUT said:

I lived in a 5th wheel working out of town for many years . Swore I’d never do it again. Just discovered that you can lease them out when not in use. I should have known, I do exactly that with my Myrtle beach condo. I’m going to do more research. I may buy an van type motor home and rent it when I’m not using it.

Renting is an option but comes with some risk.  The cleaning required after each rental would also be significant.  However, it may be worthwhile as RV ownership is expensive.   I have known people who used "Van conversions" as their second vehicle.   In the 70's vans were popular daily drivers.  I owned a 'couple of Econoline's and often "camped" with them.  We sold our trailer last winter as the costs for the limited use did not make sense.  We envisioned frequent and spontaneous road trips with our trailer but discovered a significant amount of pre-planning and setup was needed.  Your camper van idea has got me thinking..... (my poor wife!)