Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

11 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

My tool collection continues to grow....so nice to have that odd socket or weird wrench. Well on my way to catching up with you guys hahaha

The next time you will need that odd or weird tool is the day after you give it away.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, Colossus said:

Have had to move into an apartment for a year or so.  That has forced me to dispose of (donate) a ton of tools.   <sigh> one of the hardest things I have had to do. 

I may need another strategy as this is very bad!  I refuse to leave this for my wife or kids!!  I spent a whole evening sorting plumbing fittings.  I haven't started on the tools specific to plumbing.  This was the easy one and electrical is next.(Residential then auto)  The emotional part is one thing but the waste is sickening.  Some stuff is saleable at garage sale prices, some is donatable and other stuff is priceless only to me.  My father was able to sort through his stuff with me and now I know why he was so happy to help me load up my truck!!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I may need another strategy as this is very bad!  I refuse to leave this for my wife or kids!!  I spent a whole evening sorting plumbing fittings.  I haven't started on the tools specific to plumbing.  This was the easy one and electrical is next.(Residential then auto)  The emotional part is one thing but the waste is sickening.  Some stuff is saleable at garage sale prices, some is donatable and other stuff is priceless only to me.  My father was able to sort through his stuff with me and now I know why he was so happy to help me load up my truck!!

My wife has been all, "we could sell that" for about 20 years now. (her stuff). Know where it is now? In my space. Garage, workshop, shed. Yea, it could be but....will it ever? :crackup:Know where my stuff is? Same place. :sigh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

My wife has been all, "we could sell that" for about 20 years now. (her stuff). Know where it is now? In my space. Garage, workshop, shed. Yea, it could be but....will it ever? :crackup:Know where my stuff is? Same place. :sigh:

My wife is the opposite. She would have the garage, shop/shed emptied and painted within hours of our final goodbye.  I mentioned earlier that I asked for her help a couple of days ago but I also had to ask her to stop! ?   

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2020 at 7:16 AM, Donstar said:

The next time you will need that odd or weird tool is the day after you give it away.  

The plan is to avoid that approach haha!

No woman in my life to voice displeasure at collection of said tools...so far so good!

• Like 2

Yesterday we had a zoom chat with the grandkids projected on our 55" TV.   Three of them were sitting on a couch and it was evident that they previously had been doing things more fun than sitting still talking to grandparents via their Dad's computer. They appeared to have been given a firm talk on grandparent chat etiquette!    (If we were there in person they'd be all over us vying for our attention)  I am delighted that we can do this type of virtual meeting with some spontaneity and without additional cost but it has its shortcomings!   It became very evident that the 13 yr old might have exhausted his polite formal talk and I told him about how I had to sit down at the kitchen table once a month and write a full page letter to my grandparents.   The reward of a reply in 3-4 weeks from Scandinavia wasn't always enough  to make me put my best into my letters!  I can certainly appreciate the enormous challenge faced by students and teachers who plunged into virtual classroom environments.  . The power of personal connection, proximity and environment is definitely lacking on screen! 

• Like 2

Zoom is the new norm. The kids have mutilple weekly zoom chats with their teachers and class. My sons baseball team gets on zoom about once a week. Good way to stay “close” I guess.

Ryan B.

• Like 1

Skype and Zoom have are terrific and I am so thankful that I see as well as talk to my callers.  Connecting like this is far less of an effort than a long distance call of yesteryear. However, the long distance calls of 40 + years ago were expensive so you didn't waste time or words! They were newsy and memorable.    (Your phone bill after a couple of overseas phone calls would have a number you'd remember for a long time!)     I am not a big hugger or overly social but I do miss personal contact with friends and family.  When flights safely resume,  we're going to be just as excited to see each other regardless of frequent video chats!  

I’m facing a phobia tomorrow. I’m taking my 170K mile Avalanche on a road trip. Taking my brother in law to pick up his camper and one ton. He got laid off prior to transfer back home. I usually would only go 150K. I’m not worried.[emoji1785]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my dog to a popular dog park yesterday.  I haven't gone for a couple of months due to my dog's issues with her hind legs.  This is a beautiful forest park with well marked trails and can accommodate many walkers at a time.  At popular times there can be a few bottlenecks as walkers meet to discuss their aches and pains while their dogs sniff and try to figure out what each other had for breakfast.   I was impressed and delighted with how Covid19 distancing requirements vastly improved the experience for me and my dog!  I'm certain our pets appreciate the extra attention gained by our increased spare time!  

• Thanks 1

I’m facing a phobia tomorrow. I’m taking my 170K mile Avalanche on a road trip. Taking my brother in law to pick up his camper and one ton. He got laid off prior to transfer back home. I usually would only go 150K. I’m not worried.[emoji1785]

1,200 miles in two days no problems. Except for a Monday night tornado less than a mile away. What a mess. The camper was rocking. Glad that’s over.