Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Rex, needs walking. Problem is he's too cute for his own good thus too cute for my own good. Every time we step outside every child and mother in the neighborhood wants to pet him and he gathers groups like ants to honey. He will be the death of me yet. But he's good for my mental health, not so much my waist line. We're both getting fat. 

IMG_0097.JPG.12b087b3d010cb3874a587a148c0818c.JPG

Rex is one handsome dog!  I have an adult neighbour who use to run out of her house to pet Star when we 'were spotted going for a walk.  After my wife asked her if she saw the news about animals catching Coronavirus our walks are seldom interrupted. "Upside"

• Haha 1

Been busy around the house.  My wife has cleaned out all the clutter from the closets.  So now we have a huge pile to get rid of when we are able to.  They say if you have not worn something with in a year then get rid of it.  Well that is basically over half of my closet. LOL

I've been busy working on landscaping around our pool.  The vinyl fence had white stones around the bottom of it and over the past 20 years it went from stones to weeds growing up in them.  So for two days I spent getting up all the stones and in the process of putting down weed control material and going back with a boarder and then putting new white stones in.  This should last longer since a boarder will help from dirt and grass from getting in as much when I mow and use the string trimmer.

I've also applied a nice amount of "Wet and Forget" on the pool fence, garage and shed siding, sidewalk and driveway.  That stuff is amazing at keeping the algae down and stuff clean.  I do it once a year now.  Sure does beat using a pressure washer for hours.

I'm also getting a nice second coat and cleaning of the vehicles.  At least we have had some spring weather here where it is only in the upper 60's and lower 70's which makes being outside pleasant and not soaked in sweat.  Although I must have gotten into some poison cleaning up around the pool and our blueberry bush.  I'm breaking out on my forearms.  Itchy stuff.

I still have a ton of stuff to do.

Also since we are not driving much at all, the fuel bill has been nice and low.  It has been three weeks since I filled up the truck.

• Like 4

We took our dog to the vet yesterday for a monthly injection.  This was a whole new experience!  You phone their receptionist upon your arrival to the parking lot and she comes out with her own leash and takes our dog from the truck.   A vet brings the dog back accompanied by the receptionist c/w portable debit machine.  Conversations are held from a distance, we all were wearing gloves and/or masks, and even the debit machine was wiped down at the end.  On our way home I stopped by a "Metal Superstore" to see if they were open and if  I could safely pick up some aluminum for a DIY project.   Wow!  They had a drive-thru style window and my needs were met very quickly.   I prefer the experience of going into an office or store but there is something to be said about the efficiencies created by these safety precautions.  We do make a point to time our day around watching a daily afternoon report from our provincial health officer. 

Still working but without kids sports my time at home has grown.  A few projects have filled the time:

1.  Teaching my 14 year old how to use power tools, prime/glue PVC, earn some money through hard labor (Iphones can't haul rocks :) ).

2.  Cut new trails for go kart through the acreage.

3.  14 year old and I upgraded exhaust, clutch, rollers, etc on the go kart.

4.  Build solar heater for the pool.

5.  Relearned math (the way they do it now makes no sense to me).

6.  Connected with family in the Seattle region.

7.  Who knows what's next?

I guess this counts. I sold my 92 Chevy to a family member. He got his first truck 4 years ago. He’s taking very good care of it. He’s been bugging me for years for it. He passed the longevity test. The next test was the clincher. His reaction on the test drive. He drove like an old man. When I drove back he showed the proper fear of hard driving. His question were more about maintenance than performance. He’ll be a good next owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 3:48 PM, Donstar said:

Rex is one handsome dog!  I have an adult neighbour who use to run out of her house to pet Star when we 'were spotted going for a walk.  After my wife asked her if she saw the news about animals catching Coronavirus our walks are seldom interrupted. "Upside"

Thanks. I had nine in my lifetime. This one is #1. He sticks to me hard. Wife said if I die she will be forced to shoot the dog and if the dog dies....well....sharp shovel and a big back yard. :) 

I'll be taking a nap and he will curl up beside me. In minutes he is breathing in sync with me. I've never seen this before. And brother is he protective. Good thing he listens well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Thanks. I had nine in my lifetime. This one is #1. He sticks to me hard. Wife said if I die she will be forced to shoot the dog and if the dog dies....well....sharp shovel and a big back yard. :) 

I'll be taking a nap and he will curl up beside me. In minutes he is breathing in sync with me. I've never seen this before. And brother is he protective. Good thing he listens well. 

I know exactly what you're talking about having a #1.  I've had a dog in my home for most of my life and our current one has put the joy of dog ownership to an entirely new level.  Her vocabulary is unfathomable.  We talk in normal tones and her responses reflect a level of understanding that still amazes us after 10 years of ownership.  We have to be quite specific. Going out for a walk is different than going outside for a pee. Offering her a ride in the car gets a lukewarm response but a suggestion of a ride in the truck gets her running to the door.  I have seriously thought of taking in a foster dog  because of the increasing need brought on by this pandemic.  I laugh because I'm not sure how I'd explain this temporary guest to Star!

20 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I know exactly what you're talking about having a #1.  I've had a dog in my home for most of my life and our current one has put the joy of dog ownership to an entirely new level.  Her vocabulary is unfathomable.  We talk in normal tones and her responses reflect a level of understanding that still amazes us after 10 years of ownership.  We have to be quite specific. Going out for a walk is different than going outside for a pee. Offering her a ride in the car gets a lukewarm response but a suggestion of a ride in the truck gets her running to the door.  I have seriously thought of taking in a foster dog  because of the increasing need brought on by this pandemic.  I laugh because I'm not sure how I'd explain this temporary guest to Star!

YILES! Not sure you could. Is Star well socialized? To other dogs I mean. Rex is up for anyone that isn't totally a whip or trying to hump him. That get's them bit. 

Rex is word specific as well. He's even learned to spell a few.

Like it matters not if you say 'park' or spell P A R K. Wife taught him that trying to avoid the Dino style response. Ops. Thinking about having him do taxes this year. :crackup:

He gets funny about eating sometimes. Put his food down in front of Louise the cat and he would eat dirt. Those two have tangled a few times over food. He loves cat treats.  They have equal win/loss records. 

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

YILES! Not sure you could. Is Star well socialized? 

She is well socialized but makes it well known when she doesn't want to be friends with a particular dog. My worry is that I'd pick a foster dog that doesn't meet her approval.  The good thing about a foster is if it doesn't work s/he can go back to the orphanage. ? 

Pets are being surrendered as a direct result of the impact of Covid 19. The current measures to reduce the spread of this virus are hurtful but better than the alternative.  I constantly look for safe ways to part of the solution. However, taking on another dog may reduce my ability to help in more meaningful ways!  

• Like 1

Still working but without kids sports my time at home has grown.  A few projects have filled the time:

1.  Teaching my 14 year old how to use power tools, prime/glue PVC, earn some money through hard labor (Iphones can't haul rocks [emoji4] ).
2.  Cut new trails for go kart through the acreage.
3.  14 year old and I upgraded exhaust, clutch, rollers, etc on the go kart.
4.  Build solar heater for the pool.
5.  Relearned math (the way they do it now makes no sense to me).
6.  Connected with family in the Seattle region.
7.  Who knows what's next?

Same here we are holding shop class and still practicing

e67002bbf942490ca9b3b6a40bde5877.jpg3d2bcfdd1cc50d411795fdea83f7f547.jpg1556c1f541dc21175fbf6bf54e97b8b7.jpg

Ryan B.
  • Like 3

My cedar fence needed repair so I braved the outdoors and went to Home Depot for a few pieces of wood.  They have really stepped up to make sure their customers feel safe.  At the check-out I made a point of expressing my appreciation to the associate for working and for the safety measures in the store.  I asked her if she felt safe working here (expecting a "yes") and she said no.  She went on to explain that for every nine customers like me there is one who thinks this is a "joke".  I feel good about the unofficial 90% compliance rating to distancing.   The remaining 10% only serves  to slow the process down.   Hopefully, peer pressure will get everyone exercising social distancing as it is such an easy and effective way to keep safe!

• Like 1

My cedar fence needed repair so I braved the outdoors and went to Home Depot for a few pieces of wood.  They have really stepped up to make sure their customers feel safe.  At the check-out I made a point of expressing my appreciation to the associate for working and for the safety measures in the store.  I asked her if she felt safe working here (expecting a "yes") and she said no.  She went on to explain that for every nine customers like me there is one who thinks this is a "joke".  I feel good about the unofficial 90% compliance rating to distancing.   The remaining 10% only serves  to slow the process down.   Hopefully, peer pressure will get everyone exercising social distancing as it is such an easy and effective way to keep safe!

Require mask wearing. That should be part of temporary guidelines. Stores should have signs out, no mask no entry.

• Like 2

And then there was three. At one point during this pandemic I had 6 vehicles. Way too much to take care of. If I didn’t have a big yard, no problem. Gave our 06 Elantra to my grandson. Sold the 92 Chevy truck. It was going to be a keeper. I found a cherry Avalanche. 2017 Camry sold it. The Genesis was just sitting. To nice of a car to sit. The collector car 01 Acura Type R ( I can’t believe it either) goes to auction soon. Then there will be two. I’ve always had a toy. Will see how that works.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1