Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

You'd think that this new normal (that changes daily) would increase my appreciation for online shopping.  However, it makes me appreciate the value of in-person shopping much more.  We tried ordering groceries online with less than satisfactory results.  My most recent gripe is I bought my new motorcycle helmet online.  My research made me believe that the Torc T1 was extremely popular and I felt fortunate to find my size at a uninflated price.  It finally arrived and I am extremely happy with the "fit and finish".  After a day or two, I checked the manufacture date.  This was an upsetting 12/2018.  I know most will suggest this is within reason but unless there is a significant sale price, I want my helmets (and tires) well within a year of manufacture.  Understandably, I don't have a valid reason to return my helmet but I wouldn't have bought it in the store with this amount of time on a shelf!

38 minutes ago, Donstar said:

You'd think that this new normal (that changes daily) would increase my appreciation for online shopping.  However, it makes me appreciate the value of in-person shopping much more.  We tried ordering groceries online with less than satisfactory results.  My most recent gripe is I bought my new motorcycle helmet online.  My research made me believe that the Torc T1 was extremely popular and I felt fortunate to find my size at a uninflated price.  It finally arrived and I am extremely happy with the "fit and finish".  After a day or two, I checked the manufacture date.  This was an upsetting 12/2018.  I know most will suggest this is within reason but unless there is a significant sale price, I want my helmets (and tires) well within a year of manufacture.  Understandably, I don't have a valid reason to return my helmet but I wouldn't have bought it in the store with this amount of time on a shelf!

We've been food shopping on line since this started. What a mess. If I go in the stores, which have done out of frustration, I usually get what I wanted. If I order it, they are out. If I allow substitutions.....I got a jar of pickled pigs feet as substitution for a ham. Seriously? If I order something like 'butter' I get butter but the most expensive brand on the shelf (substitution). What a racket. 

Shopping clothing on line is a crap shoot that it will fit even if it's in your size. You can't judge how a jacket will 'hang' from a photo. How well shoes are made. As long as there is a store to go to....I'm there. I support the few remaining Ma' n Pa shops left. I might pay an extra hundred on a frig but I get service and people I can hold accountable and they I. 

Not a fan of Big Box and On line retail. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We've been food shopping on line since this started. What a mess. If I go in the stores, which have done out of frustration, I usually get what I wanted. If I order it, they are out. If I allow substitutions.....I got a jar of pickled pigs feet as substitution for a ham. Seriously? If I order something like 'butter' I get butter but the most expensive brand on the shelf (substitution). What a racket. 

Shopping clothing on line is a crap shoot that it will fit even if it's in your size. You can't judge how a jacket will 'hang' from a photo. How well shoes are made. As long as there is a store to go to....I'm there. I support the few remaining Ma' n Pa shops left. I might pay an extra hundred on a frig but I get service and people I can hold accountable and they I. 

Not a fan of Big Box and On line retail. 

I looked into insta cart until i noticed like a 25% markup in price and 0 deals. Ill take my chances going to the stores. It has become expensive enough never mind tacking on another 25-30% in cost for the same stuff.

• Like 2

Well we are finishing up week two being back to baseball. First tournament is fathers day weekend. It’s getting back to normal. One thing we are having to use the REC fields since the middle school fields are closed. At this point anything is good

9a7317216d9719c22b557095a3227b85.jpgf6a78a5002a92b3e6cf9303d2b263c8c.jpg

Ryan B.

24 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Well we are finishing up week two being back to baseball. First tournament is fathers day weekend. It’s getting back to normal. One thing we are having to use the REC fields since the middle school fields are closed. At this point anything is good

9a7317216d9719c22b557095a3227b85.jpgf6a78a5002a92b3e6cf9303d2b263c8c.jpg

Ryan B.

I just listened to a local radio show this morning and they were reading out complaints sent to the 311"rat on your neighbor for not social distancing police line" that we have here in East Germany Massachusetts. Half of them involved youth baseball leagues lol, seriously some of the people mad that 10 people were playing catch on a local high school field and asking the police to arrest them!

Watch out man there are some crazy lunatics out here right now.

I watched an old Happy Days last night about the boys raising money to buy uniforms for their baseball team.  Their antics and attitudes more loosely follow my baseball memories.  I appreciate that the 50 + year time that has passed since my childhood has left me with the most selective of memories.  Reading your posts causes me to think just how impactful recent events and/or changes will be on today's children's memories, attitudes and behaviors.  

In the same vein,  I had my third televisit with a doctor yesterday.  I told my caller yesterday how awkward it feels having a medical consultation on my cell phone in my garage.  (he called earlier than scheduled).  He said patients and Doctors seem to like this change and it will probably be normal practice in the future.   I can remember as a child my doctor coming to visit me at home.  This was a common practice and then it ended.  When children of today are seniors, they'll recall having to pile into the family truck, "sick as  a dog" and taken to a crowded waiting room and wait for an hour to see doctor for three minutes!  There will be some positive outcomes from these times.   (There is a forest behind the trees!)  

The new normal I am experiencing continues to refine and improve.   I appreciate that there are many who cannot say the same.  It is easy to become immersed in the sad stuff but there is nothing wrong with sharing some good stuff.   Yesterday, I had an excellent shopping experience at Costco.  This was seldom the case at Costco on a Saturday afternoon!  I left my house at 3:20 pm and at 4:10 pm I was back home unloading my new 65" television!  The sad part of this experience has nothing to do with covid but does serve as a lesson on critical thinking.  Part of the setup process was to register my TV with "Roku".   Somehow, I got into a scam where they wanted a one-time fee for registration.  Luckily, I caught on before it was too late but it certainly left me with a crappy feeling.  This morning, I read the instructions and they warn you in bold print to be aware of scams.  Who knew you were supposed to read the instructions? ? 

• Haha 2

In my world it’s normal. I haven’t taken a trip yet. Out of caution I’ll going in about two weeks. Mask, hand sanitizer is the new normal. As is doing most of my shopping on amazon. Depending on how long term this looks. I can see a van with a bathroom and packing my meals to limit chances of infection on my trips. It makes me feel ridiculous. You just can’t get the truth. More testing equals more positive results or more positive results because of more interactions. So my spare time is consumed by more research. As the old dragnet show would say, just the facts. No such luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

My great TV upgrade project found the portal for my secondary TV quit working.  The cable provider tried some remote fixes but concluded I need a home visit from a technician.   Unfortunately,  techs are not entering homes at this time so I was asked to wait until things get "back to normal".   An hour later I called again and reported I don't want to wait.  I said I have some technical ability and some equipment.  Can I do something?  To my surprise, the tech I was speaking to this time said,  "Let's work together and resolve this issue."  Thirty minutes later, everything was working and I was outside enjoying the sun!  Over the past week, I've phoned my cable/internet provider several times.  Of course, you never get the same person twice.  I often wonder what the screen in front of them says about me! ? My wife thinks they pick straws before they answer my calls....      Anyway, this last tech I spoke to was a rock star in my view.  There are many outstanding customer support people in large organizations but it certainly is exciting when you come across one who stands out above the rest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Donstar said:

My great TV upgrade project found the portal for my secondary TV quit working.  The cable provider tried some remote fixes but concluded I need a home visit from a technician.   Unfortunately,  techs are not entering homes at this time so I was asked to wait until things get "back to normal".   An hour later I called again and reported I don't want to wait.  I said I have some technical ability and some equipment.  Can I do something?  To my surprise, the tech I was speaking to this time said,  "Let's work together and resolve this issue."  Thirty minutes later, everything was working and I was outside enjoying the sun!  Over the past week, I've phoned my cable/internet provider several times.  Of course, you never get the same person twice.  I often wonder what the screen in front of them says about me! ? My wife thinks they pick straws before they answer my calls....      Anyway, this last tech I spoke to was a rock star in my view.  There are many outstanding customer support people in large organizations but it certainly is exciting when you come across one who stands out above the rest!

I've been having issues with my internet cutting in and out a bit. May have to try calling my provider and see if they'll let me try this. 

6 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I've been having issues with my internet cutting in and out a bit. May have to try calling my provider and see if they'll let me try this. 

Give it a try!  It never ceases to amaze me how much they are able to remotely communicate with a specific device.   As an aside, your issue may be with your computer.  My wife and I have very similar laptops and often find ourselves sitting side by side while online.  Her connection would go in and out of consciousness while mine remained fully operational.  Research led me to deleting and reinstalling a driver with successful results.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Give it a try!  It never ceases to amaze me how much they are able to remotely communicate with a specific device.   As an aside, your issue may be with your computer.  My wife and I have very similar laptops and often find ourselves sitting side by side while online.  Her connection would go in and out of consciousness while mine remained fully operational.  Research led me to deleting and reinstalling a driver with successful results.  

Yeah, most of my issues were on my work laptop, which is crappy, and my phone, which is old. Whatever issues my wife was having on her phone seem to have gone away. I thought I was having issues on my personal computer while gaming with friends but I think the issue was with someone else's connection. 

Latest project is beginning tomorrow.  Bought a 1990 Kawasaki Stand Up Jet ski that is completely taken apart and primed for paint.  14 year old is excited to "build" it and get it on the water.  I have found schematics or "exploded views" of all the workings but no info on the order in which to place the items.  I would hate to get everything mounted and realize there is a part left over that goes under the engine.  Anyone have any resources for this?  I'll scour the internet as well.

• Like 2