Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Covid19 Spare time


Donstar

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately, medication does not allow for me to conduct similar "science experiments". ^^^ ( My memory does afford a strong empathy for the day after.)   I have become a little too attached to the YouTube channel on my new 65".  I was watching a few of the "10 Best", 10 Worst, 10 Biggest etc.   Many contain video excerpts from previous decades and I found myself looking at the many large scale behavioral changes that have occurred in a baby boomer's life time.   We drove vehicles for many years when we weren't able to operate the gas pump,  we smoked in the workplace, used cash or possibly wrote a check for daily purchases,  carried dimes in case you had to make a phone call away from home, corresponded by pen and paper, unknown answers to everyday questions required some footwork etc. etc.   My wife has been with me since the handwritten inter-office memo days so she regularly brings nostalgia into my life with a handwritten list of things for me "todo".  A couple of days ago I was doing one of the errands on my list and I had to abort the mission half-way to my destination because I forgot my phone....  I could have forgotten my wallet and I would have still carried on with my mission!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So I hear there is a new test for COVID-19 you can do with a bottle of Bourbon so I tried it. 

 

Pull the cork and sniff. Loss of smell is a sign of COVID-19. If you can smell it proceed to step two.

Pour a shot and down it. Loss of taste is a sign of COVID-19 as well. 

 

Now you know me, I'm a scardy-cat so I tested myself last night several times. 

 

I'm going to have to repeat this test tonight as I woke with a headache.

Headache is a sign of COVID-19

 

Can't be to safe, right?

Funny post.  I wanted to see if that new test would work with Cognac, it does.  Didn't wake with a headache, so I had to repeat as necessary.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Zip said:

Funny post.  I wanted to see if that new test would work with Cognac, it does.  Didn't wake with a headache, so I had to repeat as necessary.

I respect your determination and analytical mind.  If at first you don't succeed...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Covid19, politics and hurricanes really consume a lot of our emotional reserve.   I use a fair chunk of my "Covid19 Spare time" keeping informed and doing my best to be part of the solution - not the problem.  I fully appreciate that many are suffering  in a major way because of political unrest, the pandemic or destruction from hurricanes.  These factors puts the pettiness of daily annoyances in a totally different perspective.  Sometimes the daily stuff helps distract us from the big stuff.  Yesterday, I had such an event.  The spout on my old Wedco Gas can split and leaked.  This brand is no longer available so with some difficulty I was able to find an aftermarket replacement spout.  It was cheaper and less wasteful than buying a new can so I bought the new hardware.  It fit beautifully and it gives my gas can a new life.  For some reason, I decided to read the warnings on the packaging prior to throwing it away.   It warns that this spout can expose you to lead, DEHP, DBP  and BBP.  This didn't concern me as I would not be drinking the gasoline.  It was the second warning that made me laugh.  It reads, "Warning: this product is not recommended for gas cans".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate the new safety spouts where you have to press this, then that, then rest it on the edge of the gas tank.  Slow filler because air has to enter the spout.  

 

My Fix....remove the safety valve, attach clear hose from lowes to extend the reach, and drill a vent hole in the handle.  Problem solved.  Probably violates the warning label though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, mikemcclain8 said:

I hate the new safety spouts where you have to press this, then that, then rest it on the edge of the gas tank.  Slow filler because air has to enter the spout.  

 

My Fix....remove the safety valve, attach clear hose from lowes to extend the reach, and drill a vent hole in the handle.  Problem solved.  Probably violates the warning label though.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to keep the old Wedco.  It was vented and seems much more rugged than the current Walmart  offerings.  Wedco apparently went bankrupt because of lawsuits.  Apparently their gas cans may explode when throwing gas on a fire...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbour just  brought home a white '18 GMC SLE 2500 regular cab, 8' bed, gas truck. It has 12K miles and is in pristine condition.   It overflows with brawn and functionality, imo.  I love the feel and handling of a base 3/4 ton and I often  rent(ed) them for personal use when out of town.   I don't have a company gas card and my cargo is most often old people so this configuration would not be a practical choice for me.  Also, my pom X chihuahua requires a whole backseat!   I see very few new 1/2 tons on my dealer's lot but I do see an unusually high number of used 1500/2500/3500 trucks.  I can only speculate on the impact covid19 is having on the truck inventory at my local dealership.  I sincerely doubt I'll be able to trade-off my current truck in the next few years.  Most us have vehicles we've owned in the past that we wished we kept.  I start to miss my '15 the moment I start considering a new truck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbour just  brought home a white '18 GMC SLE 2500 regular cab, 8' bed, gas truck. It has 12K miles and is in pristine condition.   It overflows with brawn and functionality, imo.  I love the feel and handling of a base 3/4 ton and I often  rent(ed) them for personal use when out of town.   I don't have a company gas card and my cargo is most often old people so this configuration would not be a practical choice for me.  Also, my pom X chihuahua requires a whole backseat!   I see very few new 1/2 tons on my dealer's lot but I do see an unusually high number of used 1500/2500/3500 trucks.  I can only speculate on the impact covid19 is having on the truck inventory at my local dealership.  I sincerely doubt I'll be able to trade-off my current truck in the next few years.  Most us have vehicles we've owned in the past that we wished we kept.  I start to miss my '15 the moment I start considering a new truck!

One of the nice things about being retired. I can buy a clean older truck like the ones I missed the most.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We, the wife and I, went for a ride last night at sundown as is our usual and this night was after a shower we needed bad. On the run home we saw what looked like a vehicle in distress, warning lights flashing but we were not gaining on it. It also seemed unusually foggy, patchy. Well when we finally caught up to it we find the fog is smoke pouring out of this wounded vehicle and the driver seemingly believing he was going to make it to.....who knows where....Sounded like a jackhammer. A chassis cab model of something. Like a utility truck perhaps.

 

Well I don't like being covered in oil and as he is doing north of 60 I do 70 to pass. Lord it was a new T1 style 3500 gasser.

 

I leave at the next exit expecting him to follow as there is a truck stop there and......he continues on...bet he didn't make it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally am ready to contribute to this thread showing I have done more than shoot Bourbon the last 6 months.

I practiced social distancing in my back yard and built a 12' x 14' shed. (maximum size allowed by the subdivision) It has to match the house, so same siding and roofing. My dad (retired) was able to help me with the 2 -man tasks since my son isn't big enough to be much assistance yet.

 

I ran a 20 amp conductor out there in a buried conduit for power from my garage. I added LED flood lights toward the detention pond so we can ice skate in the evenings.

 

I had the slab poured when our contractor did our driveway. Everything above the concrete cost about the same as the foundation! (Thanks to Menards 11% off)

 

Its been fun, I'm 99% finished. Still needs a final coat of paint and some odds and ends.

 

Next project: Finish another room in the basement for wife's office, thanks to the new normal of working from home.

20200829_182751.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I finally am ready to contribute to this thread showing I have done more than shoot Bourbon the last 6 months.

I practiced social distancing in my back yard and built a 12' x 14' shed. (maximum size allowed by the subdivision) It has to match the house, so same siding and roofing. My dad (retired) was able to help me with the 2 -man tasks since my son isn't big enough to be much assistance yet.

 

I ran a 20 amp conductor out there in a buried conduit for power from my garage. I added LED flood lights toward the detention pond so we can ice skate in the evenings.

 

I had the slab poured when our contractor did our driveway. Everything above the concrete cost about the same as the foundation! (Thanks to Menards 11% off)

 

Its been fun, I'm 99% finished. Still needs a final coat of paint and some odds and ends.

 

Next project: Finish another room in the basement for wife's office, thanks to the new normal of working from home.

20200829_182751.jpg

This is absolutely beautiful!  Well done!  My wife and I were just talking less than an hour ago about building a second "shed" in the back yard.  I built a 9' X 10' about 4 yrs ago.  It also matches our house and was the largest I could build without a permit.  However, the match is in color and shingles only and  not nearly as nice as yours.  Unfortunately it was meant as an overflow for my tools/shop equipment but ended up being more of a gardening shed! Your post has put a fire in my belly.  Thanks!  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Donstar said:

This is absolutely beautiful!  Well done!  My wife and I were just talking less than an hour ago about building a second "shed" in the back yard.  I built a 9' X 10' about 4 yrs ago.  It also matches our house and was the largest I could build without a permit.  However, the match is in color and shingles only and  not nearly as nice as yours.  Unfortunately it was meant as an overflow for my tools/shop equipment but ended up being more of a gardening shed! Your post has put a fire in my belly.  Thanks!  

Thanks, Don. You can never have too much storage space. This shed will also take on the role of garden shed, its primary function is lawnmower storage. Plus whatever else I can fit in there.

We were designing a new house with much more garage room, but as life changes we ended up buying a spec home, which meant unfinished lot. I was forced to live with no outbuildings for over 2 years, so this project began as soon as I could make it happen. I can't wait to be able to move around inside my garage this winter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

Thanks, Don. You can never have too much storage space. This shed will also take on the role of garden shed, its primary function is lawnmower storage. Plus whatever else I can fit in there.

We were designing a new house with much more garage room, but as life changes we ended up buying a spec home, which meant unfinished lot. I was forced to live with no outbuildings for over 2 years, so this project began as soon as I could make it happen. I can't wait to be able to move around inside my garage this winter!

Andy you do know I don't show my wife your finished works like this. She gets a Bob Vila moment and all the sudden I have a new Honey Do List. Really nicer work sir. Very nice. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Andy you do know I don't show my wife your finished works like this. She gets a Bob Vila moment and all the sudden I have a new Honey Do List. Really nicer work sir. Very nice. 

I admire some of the DIY stuff on guy's trucks around here, I've always been more comfortable with a cordless drill and a saw. Margin of error is more forgiving on wood studs than my truck's brakes.

My problem is now that my wife knows my capabilities, she expects things to get done faster. I tell her all the time not to rush me, I make more mistakes when I'm under pressure. I know how many times you are supposed to measure and cut things, but that doesn't mean there haven't been some oopsies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.