Replace your tiny oil filter if you give yourself “low oil pressure”

To each their own.

I have never used a OEM oil filter in over 50 years of maintaining vehicles.

Over priced IMO.

:) 

• Like 1

Maybe it has had the lifters replaced once twice maybe five times already but I don’t know that. 
I bought the truck from a ford dealer and the there was nothing on the car fax/ paperwork that was in the glovebox other than accidents yes that’s plural, ( a 4 time hitter) Afm has not been tuned out as it still goes into v4 on the dash and there is a auditable exhaust note change. 
no Signs of failure as it doesn’t click or clack on startup, no useage of oil or misfires. 
my biggest complainant on the AFM that when it does switch into v4 and you do not cruise on your speed will decreases because the truck isn’t making as much power. Example, going a flat 60 in v8 mode, it switches to v4 and now with the pedal in the same spot your only doing 56 Mph in a near matter of seconds. You than slightly Accelerate To get back to speed at its back into v8, just annoying

I've looked into the Range disablers I just haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet.    

Get a tune. I just got one and can’t believe the difference in the truck. It came alive. You can tune out the AFM as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob2c
 what kind of tuner do you have? 

I went with the diablo i3 8245. I only wanted to raise my idle because it was crappy and delete afm. I tried the canned tune but did not like it. I got a custom tune from Diablew tunes. He has you log some time driving then customizes it for you based on your vehicle. I went with the 91/93 tune. He also changes the transmission shift point. Let me tell you it’s night and day. I have to put about 150 miles on the tune then do some wide open throttle logs. He will then fine tune it for me. Lew is top notch. Had my tune back quickly and is very responsive. Highly recommend

Lots of folks here use blackbear tune. I guess it’s personal preference. But initially I wasn’t looking for tune so that why chose diablo. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

If you look at bulletin 17-NA-157, it covers 2012 and newer L96 and LC8 engines, which are Gen. IV iron block heavy duty 6.0L's.  Bulletin seems to be pretty clear about not using oil filters with a 15 psi or lower bypass valve.  PF48, PF48E, and UPF48R all have a 15 psi bypass valve, the PF63, PF64, and UPF63R all have a 22psi bypass valve.  Not sure if it means anything, but the bypass valve in the 48 oil filters is orange, in the 63 and 64 oil filters it's yellow.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 3:16 PM, 08SuperSierra said:

Hello everyone  I’m just sharing my experience with my “lower than normal oil pressure” problem

To start out my truck has 190k 2008 5.3 

AFM works great no problems 

So it all started one day in February, 

I was going out to a hunting spot, going up a gravel road/slight hill with around 6” of snow on top of it. 
locked in 4 high just banging rev limiter and near red line to get my self out without getting stuck, 

oil pressure gauge was hitting probably around the “60” mark engine temp got around 220 and tranny 160

so after that on my way home on start up it had around 40psi on the gauge, after briefly warming up ( the oil ) it would rest around 20psi, would barely hit 40psi unless you went WFO or engine was cold. 

Anyways after doing some research I chalked it up to sludge and garbage got up to the oil pressure sensor and the screen due to the extra oil pressure. So I replaced the sensor and the screen. And the results of that was nothing. Still had the same problem. 
than I through the oil pressure Relief valve in the oil pan could be stuck open, ( as I read the relief opens about 60 psi on 4th gen Ls engines to reduce the chances of over oiling damage)

figuring that was the problem there wouldn’t be much I could do about it. But come today, I changed my oil and filter ( ac delco pf68e? I think *of the top of my head* And semi syn 10-30 ) it’s fixed! 
oil pressure is 40+ cold, and still 40psi when warm. 

So in the end CHECK YO OIL FILTER cuz They suck why would gm put such a small filter on it? Hell the oil pan is Deeper than the filter and they could have made a longer filter, I assume it’s gm being cheap and re-using oil filter designs from different platforms. 
Any one know a bigger oil filter? Or at least longer? 
or I’m gonna get creative and find a way to make one of my PH8A filters from my stock pile to work. 

5ED03F41-6FB4-4531-8C2C-8EFD55711518.jpeg

Another thread I missed.  I know it is an old one for sure and the OP probably isn't on here but I was curious as to how many miles were on the oil before he changed it and what oil was in there as well?  What was the filter you took off?

• Like 1