pressure wash or garden hose for truck

I am debating on buying a 1400 psi electric pressure washer for washing my truck. I currently have a gas powered 2000 psi pressure washer which I do not wash my truck with but use for other tasks around the property. I would think the gas powered is a little too much for washing vehicles and don't want to damage paint. However I would like to buy a foam cannon for washing vehicles. Would I just better off using foam cannon with gas powered pressure washer to apply foam and then switch to garden hose - which kind of seems like a pain but I guess wouldn't be too big of a deal, or buy the electric pressure washer to do the foam and wash of the truck? Just curious what methods other people use with the foam cannon / pressure washer / garden hose. Thanks

I have a gas pressure washer 2200 psi. I use it on my new black truck. I rinse it off first to get any grit off, then I wash with microfiber hand mitt and one on a telescopic pole. I use one bucket with soap water and another bucket to rinse the mitts out, then back in soap bucket. I use the pressure washer for the final rinse as well. No problems at all. Granted I don't get super close with the nozzle. I use the fan nozzle and keep it about 2 feet away from the truck.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have a foam cannon with a gas pressure washer. Sure the gas machine is a little overkill but whatever. A smaller electric one would be nicer and less noise. The pressure washer does make far more foam than the hose as I've used both but either would work.

• Like 1

I have a foam cannon with a gas pressure washer. Sure the gas machine is a little overkill but whatever. A smaller electric one would be nicer and less noise. The pressure washer does make far more foam than the hose as I've used both but either would work.
What kind of foam cannon do you have? I use the gas pressure washer because I already had it. I have to start and stop it a few times during the process but that's ok. I would rather do that than fool around with a extension cord.

I think it was this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Adjustable-Connector-Pressure-Cleaning/dp/B0792TYFR1/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=foam+cannon&qid=1589763711&sr=8-16

It works good and the reviews are decent. Took me a minute to figure out the nozzle and what spray pattern/suction yadda yadda gave me the best foam.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 1800 lb pressure washer. Plenty of pressure for me my truck never gets dirty since I wash it 3-4 times a week.

I don't do the two bucket nonsense either.

I fill a bucket with sudsy water and throw about a dozen microfiber towels in it. I first blast it off with the pressure washer then the foam cannon.

I wash a panel then set that towel aside and grab a new one out of the bucket. Next panel new towel. Dirty ones never go back in the bucket. 

• Like 1

I think it was this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Adjustable-Connector-Pressure-Cleaning/dp/B0792TYFR1/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=foam+cannon&qid=1589763711&sr=8-16

It works good and the reviews are decent. Took me a minute to figure out the nozzle and what spray pattern/suction yadda yadda gave me the best foam.
I bought one from Amazon, a little different than yours. But it works good.1862a8708d69e6c35dcde8b013a446fc.jpg

• 1 month later...

I use a 2400psi gas powerwasher with a 45 degree tip and its works great.  Rinse use foam cannon to apply soap, hand wash with microfiber mit, rinse mit in 2 buckets.  Truck comes out beautiful and cuts wash time down.

Know what tells you the truth? Clay. I've used pressure washers and the garden hose. I have gas and electric. Single bucket and two bucket. Foam.  When I thought I was done, I clay it. Lord they all suck. :crackup:

Now I use Turtle Wax Foamy and cold water in the bucket and a hose in other hand. Wet it, then hose into the microfiber rag at the leading edge as you go over the panel. Float it off. Let the water and foam do the work. Fresh rag I use the Turtle spot free  and wipe it down with a it wrung out tight. Just a cap full in fresh cold water. Then ceramic spray wax followed with a distilled water mist (spray bottle) and glass nap short microfiber. Diesel Fan 1 got me started on ceramic wax. Bought me my first bottle.  :)  Don't set your beer on it. It will slide off. What a waste that is? :cheers:

I picked up the least amount of trash in the clay this method. Your results may vary. 

Our water here is rock hard so floating foam and spot free works really well for me. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1