Swapped out my XFer Case Fluids today...

On 7/17/2020 at 1:32 PM, bsprtsgrp said:

At the dealership at 18,500 miles.  I always swap the Transfer Case fluid early and often. My Chia Pet magnetic plug.....

XFER Case Plug 18K Miles.jpg

How often do you swap? Any particular reason you swap so often? You've got me nervous about sticking to routine factory intervals...

23 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

How often do you swap? Any particular reason you swap so often? You've got me nervous about sticking to routine factory intervals...

I don't recommend factory intervals when it comes to.. well most of the stuff.  Tranny fluid I have flushed every 30,000 miles, Front/Rear Diff every.. well 30,000 miles after I do it at the first 10,000 miles.. unless I drive in water up to the axles, then it gets changed right after-  Transfer Case every 15,000-20,000 miles, (It gets used a lot) Coolant I do every 5 years or 60,000 miles but I am getting more lax on that as the methods of testing the coolant PH and other levels are better.. Power steering fluid.. every 75,000 miles.  Spark Plugs every 70,000 miles if they are rated for 100,000 miles..

Why?  Because it is called preventative maintenance.  I take issue with extended drain intervals on things like oil (going 15,000-20,000 miles) and tranny fluid, the weakest links on vehicles.  It pays in the long run to service them often if you want to keep the vehicle past 100,000 miles.  Yeah yeah yeah, plenty of examples of "Well my truck is at 150,000 miles and never a problem!"  but there are also plenty of examples of "Why did my transmission let go at 100,000 miles?"  or "Why do I have so much engine noise when I am using extended life oil and oil filters?" 

• Like 4

Replaced both differentials and transfer case fluids yesterday. Here's my transfer case plug. Bought truck with 55k miles and was told it was changed by the dealer. Silly me I didn't ask for the record from the dealership as it looked like all the plugs had the original factory blue loctite on them when I did the job yesterday. Both differential plugs were really clean though, almost nothing on them so who knows. Truck currently has 110k miles on it, so this transfer case plug is either all original miles or roughly 55k miles on it assuming it was actually changed when I bought it. Will definitely be changing more often, appreciate the discussion here.

177891461_TransferCasePlug.thumb.jpg.5ea5b13cf5104f0a88421658a7733d99.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Replaced both differentials and transfer case fluids yesterday. Here's my transfer case plug. Bought truck with 55k miles and was told it was changed by the dealer. Silly me I didn't ask for the record from the dealership as it looked like all the plugs had the original factory blue loctite on them when I did the job yesterday. Both differential plugs were really clean though, almost nothing on them so who knows. Truck currently has 110k miles on it, so this transfer case plug is either all original miles or roughly 55k miles on it assuming it was actually changed when I bought it. Will definitely be changing more often, appreciate the discussion here.

177891461_TransferCasePlug.thumb.jpg.5ea5b13cf5104f0a88421658a7733d99.jpg

wooly willy.jpg

• Haha 1