2016 45K service recommendations

my 16 silverado just turned over 45k, following the severe maintenance schedule it says I should do transfer case, trans blah blah.  I have already done brake fluid when I put powerstops on.  My dealership has done my last few oil changes and tire rotations just for convenience and price is not terrible.  2016 1500 z71, which fluid for the transfer case? (auto trax or dex vi) what do you recommend for the diffs also?  Dealership quoted 497 for a 4x4 system service! I don't know what the hell else other than changing the fluids they can be doing for $500. I though I would be able to slide this in next week as we are having our second child tomorrow and this could get finished while Im off work  but 750$ for trans, transfer case and diff service seems high as willie.  opinions welcome please.  If i am lucky this delivery will go smooth, grandmas will come visit and I can slide out to the garage for a few hours 

my 16 silverado just turned over 45k, following the severe maintenance schedule it says I should do transfer case, trans blah blah.  I have already done brake fluid when I put powerstops on.  My dealership has done my last few oil changes and tire rotations just for convenience and price is not terrible.  2016 1500 z71, which fluid for the transfer case? (auto trax or dex vi) what do you recommend for the diffs also?  Dealership quoted 497 for a 4x4 system service! I don't know what the hell else other than changing the fluids they can be doing for $500. I though I would be able to slide this in next week as we are having our second child tomorrow and this could get finished while Im off work  but 750$ for trans, transfer case and diff service seems high as willie.  opinions welcome please.  If i am lucky this delivery will go smooth, grandmas will come visit and I can slide out to the garage for a few hours 
The shop I use recommended not changing those fluids till 100K. Just had mine done as well as wires and plugs at 97500 since that's my regular oil change interval.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/192614-Tenscourts'-2016-LTZ/Z71-CCSB-4WD-Silverado

my duramax, id change the spin on allison filter every other oil change along with fuel filter, did the diffs and transfer case and tranny at 100k. i drove that truck 25k a year. 

the oils nowadays are 100x better than 30 years ago.  ******, even a regular oil change using non synthetic, you can get 7-8k no problem. 

i go 10k on synthetic just for ****** on my company vehicle. 

my personal truck, 5.3 silverado '16, i change the oil late fall, then early spring. i have 30k on it, and had it since new. i average 8k miles a year, i could change once a year, but it sits in my driveway, 6 days a week not even moving, during the winter months you build up alot of condensation in your oil, thats why i change it when i do.  i will not touch my diffs until maybe around 50k, because it sits. if i drove it more, moisture wont be present, id do 75k-100k.

plugs and wires at 75k, etc.  again, i do not drive my truck 20-30k a year like most people. more or less, im changing it based on how "old" it is and how much it sits. 

If you have a mighty vac and you don’t want to bother with dropping the pan, you can quickly exchange three quarts out of the dipstick tube. Unless it’s the 8-speed, think that’s sealed. 

As for the transfer case and diffs?? Absolute piece of cake. DEX Vl for the transfer case and although the rear diff calls for 75W85, you’ll have no problem putting the 75W90 the front differential calls for, into the rear. In fact I think you’d find that a lot of independent shops would do the same. Been using 75W90 for all my doffs that call for 75W85 since 2013 (back when I owned a Lexus LS460). Never anything even close to an issue, in fact some prefer the ever so slightly heavier fluid.

But this^^^entire job should take the average guy less than an hour to complete and run you $80 bucks in fluid (on the high side). That’s if you do it yourself. An independent shop might charge you $250

On 8/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, ChopZ71 said:

I changed my fluids about a month ago on my 17 with around 39k on it. Im glad I did becuase a ton of shavings came out. I used amsoil 75w 90 in both the front and rear and their trans fluid in the transfers case. Did it myself and it took maybe 2 hrs to do it. I usually go slow and try not to make a mess. The trans flush cost me about 240 bucks at a local shop. They dropped the pan, changed the filter and refilled the rest with amsoil trans fluid. I think they replaced about 6 out of the 12 quarts in the tranny

Edited by IronVilkas
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Changed my transfer case and diffs at 39k - did this myself.  Had 8 speed filter changed/ pan drop by dealer with 45k on trans.  Next 45k I will do this myself now that I understand how to do it with the 8 speed (YouTube).

clean fluids are always the way to go

Some pics here.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2015-yukon-change-both-diffs-oil-and-transfer-case-fluid-early-on.94453/

Edited by SuperOldSchool