Thin film coming off dash plastic.

If you mention rubbing alcohol they may say that’s the cause. I was watching a program about sanitizing and cleaning vehicle interior. It was informative about what to use. People have been using bleach and doing damage. I would imagine rubbing alcohol is a no no on certain surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

If you mention rubbing alcohol they may say that’s the cause. 

Which in all likelihood was the cause and they would be right!  I'd be honest, while only saying what needs to be said.   "The finish is peeling off the left vent housing."  If asked what cleaners you've used, tell them.  My service manager would likely instruct me on proper cleaning methods but still replace the "defective" part.   I have found that, most often,  honesty in such matters makes you feel good and has better results. Lies or BS are usually reciprocated.   BTW I seldom use anything more than a slightly damp cloth to clean my dash.  I will, on occasion, add a little mild dish soap.   I frequently wipe my steering wheel especially if I've been overdoing the hand sanitizer!  

Which in all likelihood was the cause and they would be right!  I'd be honest, while only saying what needs to be said.   "The finish is peeling off the left vent housing."  If asked what cleaners you've used, tell them.  My service manager would likely instruct me on proper cleaning methods but still replace the "defective" part.   I have found that, most often,  honesty in such matters makes you feel good and has better results. Lies or BS are usually reciprocated.   BTW I seldom use anything more than a slightly damp cloth to clean my dash.  I will, on occasion, add a little mild dish soap.   I frequently wipe my steering wheel especially if I've been overdoing the hand sanitizer!  

I carry around a duster in the glove box. I also have a reflective widow cover. Sometimes but rarely I use an interior cleaner. I come a long ways from using dish soap for car washing. I did lots of car waxing those days, wonder why?[emoji1787]

2 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

No doubt the RA did that imo and made the clear peel up. Like the others said here, play dumb and take it to the dealer and see if you get lucky.

What if the OP is a responsible individual and not a criminal?

Edited by It's Tim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

What if the OP is a responsible individual and not a criminal?

Criminal haha....

Then he will pay out of his pocket most likely a few hundred dollars for that piece, or he can have it painted, don't care either way. Dealers don't mind fixing things half assed all the time, see the "my rear window is leaking" post. Or telling customers "working as intended" because they know things like lifters can go on for several years before finally giving out and causing serious damage that will then be on the customers dime. You go right ahead though and play nice with GM when at first opportunity they will bend you over for the cost of a 10 dollar part!

• Haha 1

More than a few times in my life a car dealer forgot to disclose a problem they knew about before hand that’s with new or used cars. Anything that has to do with cars is a game and mostly a scam. I had one after the deal was made on a CPO for my daughter. They called me and said the couldn’t certify it unless I put two new tires on it. I had to buy them there. So I passed. Buying a new vehicle is the biggest gamesmanship there is. So I don’t think I’ll burn in hell if I don’t disclose everything to the dealer. I don’t think anyone else will either.

• Like 1

Responsible and being realistic are 2 different things. This plastic piece should hold up to a lot more abuse then just rubbing alcohol once or twice used upon it. 

come on gentlemen, these trucks are costing us THOUSANDS of dollars. It’s under warranty it needs to be fixed!  Plain and simple. 

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

Responsible and being realistic are 2 different things. This plastic piece should hold up to a lot more abuse then just rubbing alcohol once or twice used upon it. 

come on gentlemen, these trucks are costing us THOUSANDS of dollars. It’s under warranty it needs to be fixed!  Plain and simple. 

If you can't afford to fix it probably shouldn't be driving it. LOL 

7 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

If you can't afford to fix it probably shouldn't be driving it. LOL 

It’s not about being able to afford it. The point is if a truck costs $40 to $60 thousand dollars. It’s should last longer than what his dash is doing to him. I have detailed vehicles for the past 11 years.  I use a tornado car cleaning gun with a 4 to 1 ratio of simple green and I have NEVER ran into a plastic piece doing this. It needs to be replaced under factory warranty. 
Debating on moral or affordability is just a way for you to try and start an argument.  Go watch an episode of South Park and relax. 

• Like 2