2020 all black bow tie

I really appreciated your feedback on my RST.  I'm going to leave the grille and bumpers the same color (satin steel metallic).  But all the badging is going black and I'm putting the rally stripes on hood and tailgate. 

With that in mind I want to get rid of the chrome on the bow tie.

As a last resort I will plasti dip the bow tie on my 20, don't worry, I plan on using a trim removal tool....put painters tape on the grille under where im prying and pop it off.   Should come off without a hitch.

BUT.....

1.  Anyone know if Chevy makes an all black bow tie for the 2020 grille like this one???  (No chrome)

2.  Does a bow tie from a 2019 fit a 2020?  I know there were some front trim changes.  

Its either this or my last resort....plasti-dip.  

20200920_185724.jpg

Edited by fsuboy75

No, GM does not make a totally black bow-tie. Just the center part is black with a chrome outline (as comes on the RST). 

You'll have to plastidip the emblem, or order an aftermarket one. 

A '20 would fit a '19, yes. There have not been changes in the bowtie emblems between those models. 

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

No, GM does not make a totally black bow-tie. Just the center part is black with a chrome outline (as comes on the RST). 

You'll have to plastidip the emblem, or order an aftermarket one. 

A '20 would fit a '19, yes. There have not been changes in the bowtie emblems between those models. 

That helps, I've seen 2019 bow ties in all black...just didn't know about fit!   I will probably order one of those rather than using pastidip.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

OK, so I'm seeing conflicting info out there about bow ties fitting different years.   There are apparently two sizes....2016 to 2018 and 2016 to 2019.  It appears 2019 bow ties have two different sizes.

I measured mine and I get 12" accross by 4" exactly.

I found one on Ebay and they say the measurements are 11.22" x 3.84" high.

Another ebay seller advised theirs were 9.85" x 3.56"

I'm so confused now.   

Well I purchased the on from Ebay before reading this, so we'll see how it fits.  

I did get this from GM......they say its 4.5" high and 12.25" wide, which isn't what I get when I measure.  

So everyone's measurements are slightly close.......I guess I will see if it fits when I get it and ill report back!!!

20200925_183319.jpg

Edited by fsuboy75

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd share this here too in case anyone does a search.. ..

2018 and down bow ties do not fit the 2019 and 2020 Silverado's.

Its slightly smaller....and the tabs do not line up from end to end and one of the tabs is too wide to fit a placement hole.  It could be shaved down, but again, from end to end the tabs (clips) do not match.  The bow tie itself is about 1/4" shorter from side to side and top to bottom.  And the two outside tabs are about 1/2" longer than the receiving holes on the grille.

Also...the chrome bow tie from the 2019 and 2020 is exactly 4" high and 12" wide ....right on the dot.   BUT, I can report how easy this one comes off with trim tools.  Just work from one end carefully....I had it off in 20 seconds.  

So until Chevey comes out with an all black one, or an aftermarket one comes out, we are stuck to plasti-dip.

20201003_190214.jpg

20201003_190150.jpg

Curious as to why everyone uses plastidip? Doesn’t tht peel? If I do this I will use a matte or gloss paint! Seems like it would hold up better over time to me. I could be wrong here, just what I have heard. Removing the inserts painting the chrome area with a few good coats then reinstalling the inserts with a good adhesive. Seen a vid on YouTube done this way, seems rite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, WACKEM_G said:

Curious as to why everyone uses plastidip? Doesn’t tht peel? If I do this I will use a matte or gloss paint! Seems like it would hold up better over time to me. I could be wrong here, just what I have heard. Removing the inserts painting the chrome area with a few good coats then reinstalling the inserts with a good adhesive. Seen a vid on YouTube done this way, seems rite.

It’s the cheap/lazy/easy way to black out emblems. 

It’s forgiving when you have overspray. 

Painting will always look better, but unfortunately plastidip will hold up better in the front end due to its softness. 

On 10/4/2020 at 12:45 PM, WACKEM_G said:

Plasti-dip will require more coats than paint.  It will bond to the chrome better.

I would love to tape off the black center or remove it and use gloss spray paint.  That would be a great look for sure.  But how do you get the paint to bond to the chrome?  I think it would peel off over time.   The bow ties are cheap enough that I guess I could try it out.   

Anyone know what spray paint will bond to plastic chrome?

Edited by fsuboy75

Now there are three sellers on Ebay offering blacked out bow ties for 2019 to 2021 silverados.

I'm wondering if someone got smart and just painted a bunch of chrome bow ties or there is actually an aftermarket part now????

On 9/23/2020 at 11:30 PM, fsuboy75 said:

I really appreciated your feedback on my RST.  I'm going to leave the grille and bumpers the same color (satin steel metallic).  But all the badging is going black and I'm putting the rally stripes on hood and tailgate. 

With that in mind I want to get rid of the chrome on the bow tie.

As a last resort I will plasti dip the bow tie on my 20, don't worry, I plan on using a trim removal tool....put painters tape on the grille under where im prying and pop it off.   Should come off without a hitch.

BUT.....

1.  Anyone know if Chevy makes an all black bow tie for the 2020 grille like this one???  (No chrome)

2.  Does a bow tie from a 2019 fit a 2020?  I know there were some front trim changes.  

Its either this or my last resort....plasti-dip.  

20200920_185724.jpg

You looking for something like this...

9EA77FFC-E0B5-463A-BB6A-ADFC2C3A1DDB.jpeg