I hooked up my dashhawk, that I’ve had since my TBSS, to my ‘21 Silverado.   A dashhawk is basically just a sensor and code reader.  It was handy to measure intake air temp, timing, coolant temp, torque ****** or what ever you wanted when I had my TBSS.  Well it works in my 21, so I decided to check out intake air temps. Compared to my ‘15 and ‘18 Silverado and even my TBSS, it appears the ‘21 Silverado set up works pretty good. I plugged it in after the truck had been sitting for an hour or so and the iat was 81*, ambient temp was 63*.  I started the truck, drove down the road and in about a half a mile of driving 35-40 mph the iat had dropped to 66*.  With fairly steady driving at slower speeds the iat stays within a few degrees of ambient temp.  In stop and go traffic the iat never got 10* over ambient, usually staying 5*-7*. At a steady 55-60 mph drive the iat and ambient would be the same at times and the iat never got more than a couple degrees over ambient.  So I’m not gonna spend any money on any gm or aftermarket “cold air intake”. 

A dashhawk can also measure performance based on vehicle speed sensors using distance traveled and time.  I was amazed at how quick this truck ran in the 1/4 mile.  

• Like 1

The dashhawk is a nice data collector and I'm glad its working well for you, more information is always good!

On a side note, the benefits of a cold air intake are not exclusive to incoming air temperature drops, as the name of the modification would have you falsely believe.  Though increased air density from cooler air makes an engine more efficient, the power gains with CAI's on these vehicles come almost exclusively from the increased volume of air being flowed, not any minimal temperature improvements :)

As for data loggers, I'm partial to OBDwiz just because I've used it on everything from a 1996 LT1 to my 2020 T1 and its cheap, like me :) 

• Like 1

Every aftermarket intake I’ve seen for these retains the stock snorkel. Some even retain the stock lower half of the air box. Test doesn’t prove that an aftermarket intake (or at least a better flowing filter and tube) are useless, however the test definitely proves that this gadget is a waste of money:

https://stillen.com/collections/intake/products/2019-2020-chevy-silverado-trupower-by-stillen-cold-air-intake-scoop-tp403501

16 minutes ago, Gangly said:

The dashhawk is a nice data collector and I'm glad its working well for you, more information is always good!

On a side note, the benefits of a cold air intake are not exclusive to incoming air temperature drops, as the name of the modification would have you falsely believe.  Though increased air density from cooler air makes an engine more efficient, the power gains with CAI's on these vehicles come almost exclusively from the increased volume of air being flowed, not any minimal temperature improvements :)

As for data loggers, I'm partial to OBDwiz just because I've used it on everything from a 1996 LT1 to my 2020 T1 and its cheap, like me :) 

I agree about more air being better, but on a stock vehicle I have my doubts.  The GM performance cold air intake kit still uses the same stock sized hole to suck air from, so I don't see how that would gain any.  I haven't looked much, but I haven't seen any aftermarket intakes for these that don't suck air from the same whole in the radiator support area. 

I'm not sure how the new programming in the vehicles operates, but on my TBSS, the ecm would pull timing if the iat got above 84*, so cold air was very important.  I actually separated the iat sensor from the harness and moved in into the grill to keep the temp reading down.  Not saying it was the best idea, but I did it and didn't have any issues.  

31 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Every aftermarket intake I’ve seen for these retains the stock snorkel. Some even retain the stock lower half of the air box. Test doesn’t prove that an aftermarket intake (or at least a better flowing filter and tube) are useless, however the test definitely proves that this gadget is a waste of money:

https://stillen.com/collections/intake/products/2019-2020-chevy-silverado-trupower-by-stillen-cold-air-intake-scoop-tp403501

I saw the Stillen thing, and there is a thread about it.  After reading the thread, I would look into positioning of the air shutters to maybe make the air cooler, but for now I'm probably not gonna bother.  

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

power gains with CAI's on these vehicles come almost exclusively from the increased volume of air being flowed,

The dubious asian filter media (dumping dirt into the engine for an infinitesimal "performance" gain) is the major downfall of these setups.

4 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

I agree about more air being better, but on a stock vehicle I have my doubts.  The GM performance cold air intake kit still uses the same stock sized hole to suck air from, so I don't see how that would gain any.  I haven't looked much, but I haven't seen any aftermarket intakes for these that don't suck air from the same whole in the radiator support area. 

I'm not sure how the new programming in the vehicles operates, but on my TBSS, the ecm would pull timing if the iat got above 84*, so cold air was very important.  I actually separated the iat sensor from the harness and moved in into the grill to keep the temp reading down.  Not saying it was the best idea, but I did it and didn't have any issues.  

Shape and volume make a difference even when the inlet size is equal when it comes to the amount of air something will pass. That said even if it flows 20% more air through the filter box it may not flow anymore through the throttle body and even if it does..... see where that's going? I've seen ported heads that flowed more air and still made less power. I've ported heads with smaller ports that made more power. There is power in the shape of the valve back and seat, IF someone didn't get there first and the factory is getting pretty good at that anymore. 

The point of reference for these sorts of modifications is WOT. Okay, maybe something like this adds some more air and actually makes some more power. Where? At WOT and all of it ONLY after the initial power has been used. 

I'll get kicked in the teeth again but say your motor started at 300 hp and your new device shows 330 hp. The only time you will know it is there is when your asking for more than 300 hp. When will that be? 

My truck takes about 33 hp to run 55 mph. It takes 33 hp if the motor is making 287 E-10 peak or 305 E-85 peak. It still takes only 33 hp to run 55 mph. I can hit the speed limiter with 287 hp. I can hit the limiter with less than 287 hp. 

What an intake does mostly is make NOISE. NOISE that SEEMS more powerful. NOISE that gets ya noticed....like loud pipes. If the ego needs a stroke shell out the cash. :) If you racing ditto. Anything else...meh....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Shape and volume make a difference even when the inlet size is equal when it comes to the amount of air something will pass. That said even if it flows 20% more air through the filter box it may not flow anymore through the throttle body and even if it does..... see where that's going? I've seen ported heads that flowed more air and still made less power. I've ported heads with smaller ports that made more power. There is power in the shape of the valve back and seat, IF someone didn't get there first and the factory is getting pretty good at that anymore. 

The point of reference for these sorts of modifications is WOT. Okay, maybe something like this adds some more air and actually makes some more power. Where? At WOT and all of it ONLY after the initial power has been used. 

I'll get kicked in the teeth again but say your motor started at 300 hp and your new device shows 330 hp. The only time you will know it is there is when your asking for more than 300 hp. When will that be? 

My truck takes about 33 hp to run 55 mph. It takes 33 hp if the motor is making 287 E-10 peak or 305 E-85 peak. It still takes only 33 hp to run 55 mph. I can hit the speed limiter with 287 hp. I can hit the limiter with less than 287 hp. 

What an intake does mostly is make NOISE. NOISE that SEEMS more powerful. NOISE that gets ya noticed....like loud pipes. If the ego needs a stroke shell out the cash. :) If you racing ditto. Anything else...meh....

I agree. I think my motor makes 420 hp.   I don’t think GM spent a ****** ton of money trying to squeeze every bit of power and economy out of a motor to make a 430 hp motor and throw some intake set up that loses 10 hp and loses any economy.   Same goes for stock exhaust really.  The flapper in these exhausts is technically to increase economy by increasing back pressure in 4 cyl mode, or less than V8 mode.  But I believe it flows 420 hp.  

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 1

The exhaust flapper is a huge bottleneck. It stops up a third of the pipe and makes you wonder why GM spec’d such a large diameter exhaust just to block it anyway.

The GM performance package bumps power to 435, and the exhaust accounts for most of those gains.

With no tuning available at a reasonable price, I made all the improvements I could in my driveway. Why not try to get the most of it.

• Like 2

Some individuals will argue this till they are dead. And it’s their choice. But they are foolish and wrong. CAI and exhaust make a huge difference on these trucks.  The stock exhaust with the terrible flappers cover almost 50% of the exhaust when open. It’s a crappy design and restricts a ton of airflow. I am so glad I spent $1650 on my Corsa Exhaust and S&B intake. No regrets and I have seen better performance since install. I use just an app on phone and have seen increases of .3 secs.  If it takes 33 hp per 55 mph. It’s gonna take you a while to get there.   I care that I have 435+ hp on tap and I can get to 55 or higher really quick like!!  And it’s a blast doing it. I still have a ton kid left in me and with these 6.2L I enjoy every minute of it. 

Also, we have had this discussion time and time again. Many have shown proven data stating these things work. So the data speaks for itself.

Thank you OnTheReel for proving this for all of us. He has the correct device and has posted his results and they are precise and accurate. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Some individuals will argue this till they are dead. And it’s their choice. But they are foolish and wrong. CAI and exhaust make a huge difference on these trucks.  The stock exhaust with the terrible flappers cover almost 50% of the exhaust when open. It’s a crappy design and restricts a ton of airflow. I am so glad I spent $1650 on my Corsa Exhaust and S&B intake. No regrets and I have seen better performance since install. I use just an app on phone and have seen increases of .3 secs.  If it takes 33 hp per 55 mph. It’s gonna take you a while to get there.   I care that I have 435+ hp on tap and I can get to 55 or higher really quick like!!  And it’s a blast doing it. I still have a ton kid left in me and with these 6.2L I enjoy every minute of it. 

Also, we have had this discussion time and time again. Many have shown proven data stating these things work. So the data speaks for itself.

Thank you OnTheReel for proving this for all of us. He has the correct device and has posted his results and they are precise and accurate. 

I'm not gonna argue the point.  I'm curious how your truck runs.  What does in the 1/4 mile and what device are you using.  No arguing.  Thanks.  

2 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

I'm not gonna argue the point.  I'm curious how your truck runs.  What does in the 1/4 mile and what device are you using.  No arguing.  Thanks.  

It's just a 0-60 App on my Iphone.  To be honest I have only done a 0-60 run (5.68 secs). I will try and do a 1/4 run some time. Just never have done one. Just always did a 0-60.  I've never taken it to the track. I'd be curious how well it runs, just never have time with job, wife, 2 kids, and a German Shephard pup.

@OnTheReel has the correct device and on another thread he showed his improvements and they are quite impressive. Here is the device he runs:

Dragy performance module.

dragy 10Hz GPS Based Performance Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KKPMTB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yp7rFbG63D2Y2

I also raced it against my step-fathers ecoboost before upgrades and after. HUGE difference. Just for $h!ts and giggles, I laid down a burn out before and after and the afterwards was darker, longer, and easier to laydown.  The throttle response it better and crisper. My father who is a mechanic at a small town shop was awe-struck on how bad the flappers restrict the stock exhaust. He couldn't believe how much restriction it caused. 

2 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

92F48064-DFF0-4301-972C-5B59A5F9AD0D.jpeg

223D2073-06C5-4BDB-BA36-77892D7D66E7.jpeg

5366F306-3628-47BA-9002-1B4B488C60D7.jpeg

DF17C181-44B4-412B-AA5E-C6C038E7E4DE.jpeg

Nice, I also read you had a Trailblazer SS ? Did you do any upgrades.   I had a 2006 Superior Blue AWD SS 10 years ago. Loved it, was very quick for it's time, except I couldn't stand the terrible 4 spd. I had a 3200 stall, CAI, tune.I went through 2 transmissions in the darn thing.