Convince me I need an AT4 Duramax...

On 10/25/2020 at 5:54 PM, Loganw1020 said:

Hey all, 

I just got a killer promotion and will be moving to West Texas. Also in the same week my wife and I found out we are having a baby. My '14 extended cab Sierra needs to go in exchange for something with a crew cab. 

I'm torn between a Sierra AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax or a Ford Raptor. While I drool over the raptor, it doesn't scream "family vehicle". This will be the only vehicle my wife and I have, other than my company car. Primary usage will be around town, frequent 4+ hour road trips, and the occasional trip into the mountains to hunt. Hoping there's some opportunity to hop into NM for some off-roading if I go the Raptor route. 

Also in consideration is a Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax. Total budget for either vehicle is around $60k. This would get me a used '19 Raptor or a new AT4 with every bell and whistle. The AT4 is appealing from the standpoint of fuel economy (let's assume diesel and 91 octane are the same price) and towing capacity. While I like the idea of towing a travel trailer, it's not something that will likely happen anytime soon. Below are a few highlights that stand out to me:

Raptor:
Pro - Power and torque are both higher
Pro - appears to have more spacious back seat
Pro - off road capability is vastly superior
Con - fuel economy
Con - will be purchased used

Sierra AT4:
Pro - brand new with warranty (would likely put an aftermarket warranty on raptor as well)
Pro - fuel economy
Pro - the 3.0 Duramax I've driven is really nice - tons of torque at low rpm
Pro - more "family oriented"
Con - not great offroad
Con - Doesn't have as much cool factor

What do y'all think? Convince me that I need the AT4! 

Put the ego away and think Tahoe, or if you must Suburban. 

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Put the ego away and think Tahoe, or if you must Suburban. 

I would only go Tahoe or Suburban if I had 3 or more kids. Compared to a halfton, you're paying significantly more for lower payload and towing capacities and worse fuel economy (and less convenient cargo hauling, though that somewhat depends on your needs).

• Like 1

I was between the Raptor and AT4 as well.  VERY happy with my purchase - '20 AT4 3.0 Carbon Pro.  One thing I love is the range - I have driven from San Antonio to Dallas and back without refueling.  Fuel mileage is extraordinary, the bed holds all three of my dirt bikes, ride comfort is excellent and the trucks look really good.  Get the 3.0!

I own a 2019 Raptor and my Dad picked up a new 2020 Sierra Denali with the Babymax last week.  For your needs/desires, get the AT4 3.0 and don't look back.  I love my Dad's new truck.

I love my Raptor too, but on the highway it gets 14mpg at 80+mph and sucks premium.  My Dad can get double that at sub 80mph on a long trip.  Plus, his engine is so fun to drive.  It has torque right off idle, sounds cool, and is BUTTER smooth.  Yeah, the Raptor is faster and has great power, but it sounds like a goat giving birth.  ?   

Edited by QUIKAG