Convince me I need an AT4 Duramax...

Hey all, 

I just got a killer promotion and will be moving to West Texas. Also in the same week my wife and I found out we are having a baby. My '14 extended cab Sierra needs to go in exchange for something with a crew cab. 

I'm torn between a Sierra AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax or a Ford Raptor. While I drool over the raptor, it doesn't scream "family vehicle". This will be the only vehicle my wife and I have, other than my company car. Primary usage will be around town, frequent 4+ hour road trips, and the occasional trip into the mountains to hunt. Hoping there's some opportunity to hop into NM for some off-roading if I go the Raptor route. 

Also in consideration is a Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax. Total budget for either vehicle is around $60k. This would get me a used '19 Raptor or a new AT4 with every bell and whistle. The AT4 is appealing from the standpoint of fuel economy (let's assume diesel and 91 octane are the same price) and towing capacity. While I like the idea of towing a travel trailer, it's not something that will likely happen anytime soon. Below are a few highlights that stand out to me:

Raptor:
Pro - Power and torque are both higher
Pro - appears to have more spacious back seat
Pro - off road capability is vastly superior
Con - fuel economy
Con - will be purchased used

Sierra AT4:
Pro - brand new with warranty (would likely put an aftermarket warranty on raptor as well)
Pro - fuel economy
Pro - the 3.0 Duramax I've driven is really nice - tons of torque at low rpm
Pro - more "family oriented"
Con - not great offroad
Con - Doesn't have as much cool factor

What do y'all think? Convince me that I need the AT4! 

Seems like your decision is already made up, with the Sierra being more of a Family vehicle.

I picked up a SLT Sierra 3.0 a week ago, thus far I love it. I’m averaging 25mpg. Tow rating for conventional towing is 8500 lbs and 1835 payload. These numbers were taken directly from my truck. I ended up leasing it as I’m not 100% sure “diesel is for me”as well as the issues GM people are having, so there is always that route if your not sold on the 3.0.

I would pick which one fits your needs more than your wants. I would love a Raptor but it would hardly see any off roading so whats the point. 

• Like 1

You don't 'need' a 4wd truck for primarily around town and highway trips. 

'Here' diesel is about the same price as regular. 

Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. (lately about 5-10% less). 

91 is always significantly more the either regular or diesel. (like 25% higher than regular)

I have no idea what the relative prices will be at your new location....

If you're going to primarily driving the company car, what does the one that will be doing the primarily around own stuff want to drive.

I hate suggesting the practical route, but perhaps a midsize suv would be that persons preference.  Maybe Acadia AT4? 

All the manufacturers seem to have several versions of that class of vehicle. 

It/when you decide to trailer, then add or trade to a tow vehicle .

Easy for me to say.  We've always been a two vehicle family, and after the 'just out of school' sports car I've always driven a truck (well there was that period when I had a much longer than usual commute and added a  commuter car to the fleet) 

Edited by redwngr

Moving to Texas? Take the 3.0 out on the interstate and check out the acceleration 70-100. 
The acceleration 0-30 in the 3.0 is about the same as 70-100. It just does not bog down. 
Then do the same in the raptor. See how many more downshifts, noise, and effort the raptor takes to accelerate or maintain those speeds. Take note of the lack of acceleration unless it downshifts. 

Also, I can get on it a lot more with the diesel and be way more low key to my girlfriend next to me without her telling me to slow down ?

Edited by Sqrls

Moving to Texas? Take the 3.0 out on the interstate and check out the acceleration 70-100. 
The acceleration 0-30 in the 3.0 is about the same as 70-100. It just does not bog down. 
Then do the same in the raptor. See how many more downshifts, noise, and effort the raptor takes to accelerate or maintain those speeds. Take note of the lack of acceleration unless it downshifts. 

Also, I can get on it a lot more with the diesel and be way more low key to my girlfriend next to me without her telling me to slow down [emoji23]

What this guy said ^.

On a related note I’d have a hard time deciding between the 6.2 gas and 3.0 diesel. They are the same up charge.

I love my 6.2 but I don’t have a long commute so the premium gas tax doesn’t bother me. If I was putting on a lot of miles then I’d go diesel for mpg.

Spend 2 or 3 kilobucks on your sierra and keep it. that kid on the way is going to cost you plenty and you do not want to get in over your head in this economy... now if you have a couple of college degrees... to keep you employed a long time go on.. otherwise keep your powder dry...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2018GMC said:

What this guy said ^.

On a related note I’d have a hard time deciding between the 6.2 gas and 3.0 diesel. They are the same up charge.

I love my 6.2 but I don’t have a long commute so the premium gas tax doesn’t bother me. If I was putting on a lot of miles then I’d go diesel for mpg.

They've change the pricing.

The 3.0 pricing has been reduced...for remainder of '20's and for '21's.

There is coverage of the story several places.  This is one: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09/chevy-silverado-diesel-gets-sees-price-drop-exclusive/

Example From Design/build:

On '21 AT4

5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with DFM 10-speed automatic transmission MSRP from $55,595

3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel I6 engine 10-speed automatic transmission MSRP from $56,590 

6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine 10-speed automatic transmission MSRP from $58,090 †

3.0L is $1500 cheaper than 6.2L 

'Here' diesel is about 24% cheaper than 91.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Here ..  feels every bit like the 6.2. Unless you're holeshotting or wanting to drag race.

The main reason:  Mileage.  I reached 36 mpg cruising up a back road.  You'll NEVER see that on gas motor PERIOD.

• Like 1

I’d be looking at it a lot different. Around here you can get a real nice Texas Edition especially a leftover in the low 30s. A little more for a 4WD. Than a real nice toy of your choice. The truck probably wouldn’t get used much. Or maybe I’d reverse that.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some questions and thoughts.

How frequent are your 4 hour trips?

How much of your total driving will be city/low speed/short trips/etc?  

Diesel will really shine in the longer trips, less regens etc and gets great economy.  Most of my driving is short trips and the truck would never truly warm up so I went with the 6.2.  If my job ever changes in the future and I have a lot of highway driving the baby max would be my choice.

You also said this will be your only vehicle for you and your WIFE.  I assume she will be driving it a lot as you mentioned that you will have a work vehicle.  Which one do you think she will like? 

Which one will she be able to get in and out of easier? 

Which one will she be able to have access to a car seat more easily? 

Which one will she be able to park easier (raptor is wider, length between the 2 is probably comparable)? 

Are you looking at AT4 with duratracs?  Road noise considerations.

I agree with option 3.  If you and your wife want a pickup then you can get a well equipped SLE or LT with a base engine for much less than an AT4 diesel.  Stan mentioned the Texas edition.  I have a similar package (Kodiak) in my '15.  You will get the more popular extras with these promotional packages.  You will likely never find yourself in a situation where you need an extra found in AT4 or Raptor.  Your focus will/should be on giving your baby the best options! 

• Like 2

Get the AT4. If you're doing frequent 4+ hour road trips, it will be the most comfortable and best cost to own. Plus, the Ford interior (IMO) is really outdated and will REALLY feel outdated in the next few years. 

I think the Raptor is a great truck, don't take me for a GM homer. But the AT4 probably the best overall truck that GM makes. Best looking, most well-appointed while still retaining some level of cost efficiency (vs. a Denali for sure). 

Go take an extended test drive in both trucks, and I'm almost sure you'll choose the AT4 for yourself. 

• Like 1

I absolutely love my 3.0 RST. The mpg is excellent and it tows better than my old 5.3 and my wife 6.2 yukon. Its not the hot rod the 6.2 is but it has a great torque curve that keeps it from shifting all the time. The raptors are beautiful, fun trucks. But i believe have softer rear springs and less tow capacity. It may have more rear seat room (i dont know) but the gmc will have plenty, my 18 month old sits in a rear facing car seat and my wife can have the passenger seat wherever she wants with room to spare.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Loganw1020 said:

Hey all, 

I just got a killer promotion and will be moving to West Texas. Also in the same week my wife and I found out we are having a baby. My '14 extended cab Sierra needs to go in exchange for something with a crew cab. 

I'm torn between a Sierra AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax or a Ford Raptor.

After re-reading this thread I believe deliberating between an AT4 or Raptor with the idea of fulfilling a needed baby item is absurd.  Many/most of us on this forum have a comparable life experience and should be offering a stronger dose of reality.  The second your first child makes his or her appearance you and your partner's views and priorities will explode.  PPK's suggestion about keeping your current vehicle is the best.  I assure you that leaving the purchase of a new vehicle until, at least, after the baby is born will result in far better choice than the two trucks you are now considering. BTW  Congratulations!  Your life as you now know it will be changed (for the better) forever!

• Like 2