2020 poor paint and glass robustness

Hello everyone. I ordered a 2020 and got it March 2020. Now I have about 15k miles on it. A few 500 mile trips. A month or so ago on a trip from northern IL to TN i got a rock that cracked the windshield and it spidered within minutes. On the same trip I took a rock or something from the road glancing and hit my drivers door marking a scratch down to the metal. Did an insurance claim got the door painted and windshield replaces at 10k miles. 

Yesterday I noticed the same exact type of scratch on the drivers rear door. Mid door, down to the metal. And also a chip in the glass right in front of my view. 

is this just bad luck or is others having issues like this? I have stock tires goodyear trailrunner and mudflaps on my LTZ with no lift. Has anyone used a service to fill in a glass chip and also the AC delco 4:1 paint pen? Don’t want to do another insurance claim but this is ridiculous. Also it’s now winter in IL. Not sure if it needs to be above 50 to use the paint pen... didn’t say on the box. 

thanks for your insight. 

Glass chip repair works great if it's smaller than a quarter and not spreading.  Definitely cheaper than a full replacement, and many insurance policies cover it with no deductible.  They may refuse to do yours as it's in front of the driver and the repair does leave some distortion.  I had a few windshield chips repaired on my old Canyon.  No issues 10 years and 200,000 km later.

In the meantime, don't crank the heat before getting it looked at.

• 4 weeks later...

You are not alone. My 2020 SLT picks up chips and scratches if you look at it funny. Luckily the dealer has been repairing them for free. I drove a loner Buick while they had my Truck, repairing paint,  and I noticed that it was covered with rock chips. Must be a bad year for paint. You can ask the dealer for paint as well, sometimes theirs match a little better.

7 hours ago, Terry104 said:

You are not alone. My 2020 SLT picks up chips and scratches if you look at it funny. Luckily the dealer has been repairing them for free. I drove a loner Buick while they had my Truck, repairing paint,  and I noticed that it was covered with rock chips. Must be a bad year for paint. You can ask the dealer for paint as well, sometimes theirs match a little better.

Your dealer is fixing that for free?  Wow.... I haven't needed to ask but that's pretty amazing

That’s funny I’m from New Jersey and bought brand new 2017 Denali from Laura in St. Louis and after I got home and was cleaning it and noticed some paint imperfections in the dealer said this is normal wouldn’t do anything for me…

I was very happy to let my 2017 Silverado Siren Red go earlier this year... every panel had rock chips on it. I also cracked the windshield before 10k... I know I'm in Alaska but my 2003 and 2011s were no where near this bad with the same conditions.

It's sad to say even with MSRPs jumping sky high the new normal is to have paint protection film installed for another $2k+ to make sure you keep your paint attached.

Rock chips in windshield and paint are bound to happen eventually no matter what you do. I just got my first chip in windshield on my '20 w/17k miles. I have had to replace the windshield at some point with my last two trucks due to chips and/or cracked. Just remember to get windshield coverage on insurance so no deductable to replace.