2021 SIlverado 2500HD Ride Quality & Wheel Questions

1 hour ago, dab5577 said:

Do you know if the external, adjustable reservoirs require you replace the UCAs? That was the impression I got reviewing the info on the Fox website. I wouldn’t be looking to lift at all, just improve ride. Anybody have experience with using them no lift/level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is lifted, and has control arms, but here is how much room I have with my external reservoirs. I'd suggest getting Cognito on the phone. They were very helpful and knowledgeable every time I called in.

9158E1CF-91CC-4CE1-8168-2563144A8C1C.jpeg

Edited by gSwift
  • Like 1

I think the person who first brought up sports cars was simply trying to say he is very aware of ride quality when he drives something.

M Parr:  When I test drove crew cab 2500hd and 3500hd SRW LB trucks with the standard front torsion bars and 20 inch wheels, the ride was quite comfortable for an HD truck, but I did notice that pavement bumps were transmitted a bit more than I like.  The trucks with 20s cornered nicely for a truck, though.  The trucks with 18 inch wheels felt more smooth on pavement with defects, and I chose that size wheel for that reason and to have more sidewall for off road use.  I assume the air pressure was near the max in all the trucks I test drove, but I never asked or checked. 

I think you would notice a big difference in ride if you had the torsion bars changed assuming your current bars are two steps stiffer than standard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another JR said:

I think the person who first brought up sports cars was simply trying to say he is very aware of ride quality when he drives something.

M Parr:  When I test drove crew cab 2500hd and 3500hd SRW LB trucks with the standard front torsion bars and 20 inch wheels, the ride was quite comfortable for an HD truck, but I did notice that pavement bumps were transmitted a bit more than I like.  The trucks with 20s cornered nicely for a truck, though.  The trucks with 18 inch wheels felt more smooth on pavement with defects, and I chose that size wheel for that reason and to have more sidewall for off road use.  I assume the air pressure was near the max in all the trucks I test drove, but I never asked or checked. 

I think you would notice a big difference in ride if you had the torsion bars changed assuming your current bars are two steps stiffer than standard. 

Thanks for the well thought out response. I'm going to check into getting the torsion bars swapped. You're the 2nd to suggest it.

• 5 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:50 PM, M Parr said:

Thanks for the well thought out response. I'm going to check into getting the torsion bars swapped. You're the 2nd to suggest it.

M Parr,  Did you ever find a solution?   I'm in the exact same boat. 

2021 AT4 2500 6.6 duramax, snowplow package, 20 inch wheels. All factory

1. Lowered Tire Pressure 55 F 45 B  (referenced data sheet from goodyear)

2. Replaced snowplow/camper torsion bars with (non)snowplow torsion bars from a 2020 silverado.  Verified part numbers with GM.

3. Rake is about 1.25 to 1.5 inches.  Jounce stops about 1/8 inch above control arms.

Things are notably better, but still pretty rough to be honest.  

Nest steps I might try:

1. Replace fox shocks as suggested in this thread.

2. 18 inch wheels

3. Cognito Comfort Torsion bars.

I'm loathe to go through step 2 and 3. 

I'm hoping you can tell me what solved this for you.

Thank you in advance.

In consideration of this thread and the ride quality, I have the same question(s) but more so on the towing ride quality.  Not attempting to hijack the thread, but understand what others have done or suggest about towing ride quality. 
I have a 2020 GMC Denali HD 6.6.  The ride quality around town is not bad at all when I have the air pressure at 65R 55F with the stock GY tires on the 20in factory wheels.  I am curious from others on the their ride quality when pulling a 5th wheel however.  I own a large toy hauler and use a Reese Goosebox with the air ride option in the it.  On smooth roads it is an amazing ride.  When I pull down I-95 to Florida ,the road beats me to death in places (beats on the family more).  I do have Tembren helper bump-stops, and the factory shocks.  Wondering what could I do to help the ride quality when pulling my toy hauler or Horse trailer?  I am running about 83-85 Pounds in the rear tires (hot) during pulling .  I start them at about 76 Pounds, and by the time I am on I-95 they get up to 83-85...  So I could start lower in the hopes they only get to 81 ish pounds, but that makes me super nervous to start them at 71-72 pounds.  I have heard tons about swapping the Rancho's for the Bilstein 4600/5100 shocks, and am curious if anyone that has done that also pulls a heavy load and could tell the difference there.  I would have to go buy shocks and replace mine that are still under warranty and not have it help at all.  Thanks for your time and consideration in responding!

Edited by msutoad

On 6/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sheen said:

1 hour ago, It's Tim said:

It's the same, because the static rate on the torsion bars is the same.

So swapping the torsion bars, I calculated 8% less volume, did nothing for me?  I noticed a difference, but not a major one I guess.

I had an '16 2500 HD that I put fox shocks on and slightly larger AT3 tires and the ride was acceptable. My '21 3500 AT$ with camper/snow plow bars is ok on smooth roads but can bounce you out of the seat on bad roads. I do tow and like the ride so I will try fox shocks in the future. I did not go with remote reservoir adjustables on last truck but like the idea of it. When compared to the stock shocks the foxes were easier to compress which would give a better ride towing or not.

Or you can just remove torsion bars altogether and convert it to coilover

When I had mine I used 18in rims, dropped air pressure and drove around with 500lbs in back of bed....was a  good ride I thought and longer I had the truck the more used to it I got

Imo it isn't the shocks causing the ride, its the stiff springs and torsion bars....

I have bilsteins and they arent softer than ranchos...handle better but definetly firmer...

In the end it's a HD truck with capability to do things other trucks simply cant and that comes with a compromise

Edited by Dunn

I have a 2020 2500hd.  The bilstein 5100 shocks made a big difference in ride quality over stock rancho shocks.  I’d highly recommend them.

Also, I run my 37” nittos at 45 rear/50 frt when not towing which is 99% of the time.  They wear evenly at these pressures, so I’d say you have room to back your pressure down on the factory tires.  If you stay with the stock wheels and don’t want to level the truck, throw a good tire on there that is slightly larger than stock (295/65-20) such as nitto/toyo or Michelin.  Going to an 18” wheel and a tire in the 35in range will also benefit the ride.  

i can’t speak to the plow prep torsion bar issue as mine has the regular ones.

• Haha 1

After driving my 3500hd slt gas srw long bed for a couple of months now with the camper springs and a 2000 lb popup camper in the bed, if I was ordering again and was confident I would not want to install a two ton camper, I would not order the camper springs again. A softer front end would have been just fine. However, if you are going to put a 3000 lb plus camper on, I’d say get the camper springs. 

The truck drives great with the camper in and corners more like a car than a truck. The one thing that bothers me is that, with the 2000 lb camper loaded, the rear suspension has 2 to 3 inches of travel before the overload springs engage. Whenever I go over a large bump and contact the overload springs, I hear a loud clunk from the rear. It sounds like something is wrong, but it’s just the overload springs hitting the bumpers. 

Agree with the others on the comparison and why get the truck, these things dont ride like cadis.  But with that said I have a 21 and it rides better than other HDs I have had.  You could lower tire pressure, and I have replaced factory shocks with others that made a big difference and didnt spend a lot of money doing it.

You could also try 18 in wheels or find a tire with less load rating and try that too