Bilstein

I don't know much about suspension so I'm hoping I can get some guidance here.  My 2020 Sierra Denali feels like there's a bunch of body roll and on the highway, going over bumps the truck seems to take forever to settle.  Is that something you guys feel in yours?  Do the Bilsteins help with this?  Do they change the overall height of the truck?

9 hours ago, reese said:

Is that something you guys feel in yours?  Do the Bilsteins help with this?

Yes. The problem with the oem ranchos is they’re too soft for how many of us want the ride to feel, this creates that bouncing up and down feel a few times before the settle back to the natural level. 

The Bilsteins are a firmer shock which means they will return back to that natural level quicker and smoother. This also helps with that body roll feel when turning, the firmer shock will keep the truck more level throughout the turn which create a more solid planted feel. 

There are other shocks out there that can accomplish the same thing but the Bilsteins are a common choice because they’ve been around forever, are a quality product and are reasonably priced. 

The 4600 series will be for your OEM/Stock ride height. The 5100 series (and bigger brother 6112/5160) are the ride height adjusting ones allowing for an increased front end and if you lifted the rear through a block/add-a-leaf. 

After having just replaced my ranchos with Bilsteins I can say I’m very pleased with the trucks feel and they solved exactly what you are (and I was) concerned about.

I installed Bilstein 5100s on the rear of my truck after seeing such good reviews on them. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference. The truck does feel more planted over bumps but I don't notice a difference in the corners. Overall they're a decent upgrade but it's not a night and day difference like I thought it would be. I would probably noticed them more if I were off-road more often. 

28 minutes ago, RRonin said:

I just went with the 5100s front and rear. Very nice upgrade! I was able to level out my truck and it definitely feels more planted and less body roll in corners. 

You have a denali correct?  I have a AT4 and looking at swapping the suspension out to lower it to a regular sierra/denali height to make it easier to get in and out with my back injury. Been struggling with what all i have to replace. Fro my understanding if i went with the 5100’s, ill have to remove the blocks and run shorter ubolts for the rear and replace the front axle.  

I have a LTZ. I would think you would just have to install the front 5100s at the highest setting and then remove the rear blocks and ubolts and you should be good to go. This would leave you leveled out. If you want to stock height you'd install the front 5100s at its lowest setting and not sure about the front axle with this set up.  

Shows axles in the factory lift kit package so im assuming if you go to normal height ill need to swap them out. The way i been the last couple days i might have to go even lower. Went to physio today and i could barely get in and out of the truck. Shouldnt have even been driving but had no choice.   

13C8368C-8899-4FEB-8587-2A421BC63B90.jpeg

13 hours ago, Snakes709 said:

Shows axles in the factory lift kit package so im assuming if you go to normal height ill need to swap them out. The way i been the last couple days i might have to go even lower. Went to physio today and i could barely get in and out of the truck. Shouldnt have even been driving but had no choice.   

Man sorry to hear that snakes. Another thought... have you considered trading in your AT4 for a new/different truck instead of changing out the suspension parts? I'd think you'd get really great value out of the AT4 as-is and in today's market.

15 hours ago, Snakes709 said:

You have a denali correct?  I have a AT4 and looking at swapping the suspension out to lower it to a regular sierra/denali height to make it easier to get in and out with my back injury. Been struggling with what all i have to replace. Fro my understanding if i went with the 5100’s, ill have to remove the blocks and run shorter ubolts for the rear and replace the front axle.  

Just make sure you order the correct 5100's. There is a part number specific to the AT4 which is a longer shock.

I replaced the Rancho's with 5100's in mine. I took out the factory 2" block in the back and put in a 1". I had the front shocks set at +1.1" and now the truck sits nice and level. No axle replacement required.

1 hour ago, Duramax3oh said:

Man sorry to hear that snakes. Another thought... have you considered trading in your AT4 for a new/different truck instead of changing out the suspension parts? I'd think you'd get really great value out of the AT4 as-is and in today's market.

There isnt anything out there i want. I had a 2016 ram 1500 with air ride. Worked great in the summer, made it easier getting in and out and loading things in the bed but during the winter the air ride system would freeze up and leak. FCA wouldnt do anything about it. Thousands of people with that issue across canada and the northern states. So i traded that in for a 2019 ram 1500 which was a big mistake. 5 issues in 3 months, truck spent more time at the dealership then on the road. After the 5th issue i said **** it and jumped to a AT4. With the options i wanted there was only 2 trims i could go for, the AT4 or Denali. And the denali had way to much chrome and was $22,000 more. So AT4 it was. Love my truck, i can deal with the lift kit, but would make it alot easier and pro’s out weigh the cons on why i should lower it. 

1 hour ago, nobaddays said:

Just make sure you order the correct 5100's. There is a part number specific to the AT4 which is a longer shock.

I replaced the Rancho's with 5100's in mine. I took out the factory 2" block in the back and put in a 1". I had the front shocks set at +1.1" and now the truck sits nice and level. No axle replacement required.

I been seeing that. Hard to find any kits made for the 2019+ sierra non at4. Does the bilstein shocks get rid of the bouncing feeling in the rear when you go over a bump?  It literally feels like the ass end of the truck bounces up and lands side ways

19 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

I been seeing that. Hard to find any kits made for the 2019+ sierra non at4. Does the bilstein shocks get rid of the bouncing feeling in the rear when you go over a bump?  It literally feels like the ass end of the truck bounces up and lands side ways

It definitely is a better ride than the Ranchos. I haven't noticed any severe bouncing with the 5100's.