Special Ordering Truck - WHEN??

lryfer

I am looking at special ordering a truck that doesn't seem to be on the lots or expect to be in the ordering scheme of the dealers around my area.  Double Cab, Oxford brown with buckets.  Question is when should i place the order? Wait for a little bit or pull the  trigger now? Any suggestions on ordering?

I have also seen "other" as colors listed when searching for a truck and no pics. Is there an area where GM has some special unique colors available for exterior?

So special order why does 2021 silverado have interior color gideon dark atmosphere and 2021GMC dark walnut (SAME COLOR) not available. Same truck body and seat or am i mistaken?  Looking at GMC Sierra Elevation with the buckets but they offer only BLACK? WTH??

Thank you.

Even with a special order you are stuck within the confines of what’s actually offered by GM in whatever model and trim you’re looking at.

There are special order only paint colors, but they are typically reserved for fleets. With minimums before they are produced, restrictions on trim level (WT & LT), and the front plastic “chin straps” coming unpainted.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2019&vehicleID=21483&regionID=1&divisionID=1&regionID=1&section=col_trim&typeID=6&pagenum=&butID=3&page=9

43E40CC3-25B1-488E-A5C9-10EE114EB7E8.thumb.jpeg.2100ae471582b10c4d4bd2bff7461aaa.jpeg

• Like 1

I am looking at special ordering a truck that doesn't seem to be on the lots or expect to be in the ordering scheme of the dealers around my area.  Double Cab, Oxford brown with buckets.  Question is when should i place the order? Wait for a little bit or pull the  trigger now? Any suggestions on ordering?

I have also seen "other" as colors listed when searching for a truck and no pics. Is there an area where GM has some special unique colors available for exterior?

So special order why does 2021 silverado have interior color gideon dark atmosphere and 2021GMC dark walnut (SAME COLOR) not available. Same truck body and seat or am i mistaken?  Looking at GMC Sierra Elevation with the buckets but they offer only BLACK? WTH??

Thank you.
It doesn't matter when you special order your truck. It takes about 3 months to receive your truck from the moment the dealership orders it to the moment it arrives to the train yard and is dropped off to the dealership. You will only qualify for the incentives/rebates that are available when you pick up your truck. As we've seen in the past, a strike, covid, and other things can affect production so timing it let's say 3 months before black Friday month would be a gamble because things can always happen that slow down or speed up the process. I used to place orders for customers when I used to sell Chevrolet vehicles up until a year ago and that's pretty much the wait time in a nutshell. My dealership was in California so it may shorter if you live closer to the manufacturing plant.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ordering a vehicle is not sure thing you will get it.  Dealers are awarded allocation (number of units they can order) based on past performance, and other factors .  A dealer can have 10 customers like you with fist-fulls of cash but if they don't have any allocations, GM will not accept the order and never build the vehicle.  Seems like a stupid way to run a car business but they have to ration orders or dealer abuse the system and submit bogus sold orders to corner the market.  Every vehicle they build they have to be able to source all the parts in time so they have to plan ever vehicle down to the every nut and bolt.  Often referred to as "just in time production" and thus the need have a stable influx of orders controlled by GM, not the dealers.   In simple terms, they ration the vehicles to dealers who earned them.

Edited by elcamino

23 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Even with a special order you are stuck within the confines of what’s actually offered by GM in whatever model and trim you’re looking at.

There are special order only paint colors, but they are typically reserved for fleets. With minimums before they are produced, restrictions on trim level (WT & LT), and the front plastic “chin straps” coming unpainted.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2019&vehicleID=21483&regionID=1&divisionID=1&regionID=1&section=col_trim&typeID=6&pagenum=&butID=3&page=9

43E40CC3-25B1-488E-A5C9-10EE114EB7E8.thumb.jpeg.2100ae471582b10c4d4bd2bff7461aaa.jpeg

Damn, that is a truck only a mother could love?

Did you take the picture, or an internet find?

10 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Damn, that is a truck only a mother could love?

Did you take the picture, or an internet find?

Just one that’s been circulating the web. Not the worst I’ve seen...

2D839E89-F9B0-4C2F-8BBF-5FD115D0FF8F.thumb.jpeg.c291f5b5b8d986c2b75cee0f5feda3b7.jpeg

My dealer placed my order on Nov 23, 2020.  Still waiting.  AT4 with 3.0 duramax.

Other trucks that they ordered a few weeks before mine have been in transit for a week, so hopefully mine will ship soon.  I wasn't expecting to get it before the end of Feb.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:15 PM, lryfer said:

Thank you.

Interior colour availability also depends on trim level. 

Gideon / Very Dark Atmosphere (HV5 -cloth, HVC leather) is not available on all chev trims either.

On sierra 1500 HV5 (cloth and  called Dark walnut/Slate) is only available on 3SA (SLE).  It's not offered with the HVC leather version of that colour. 

FWIW, AT4 and Denali each have there own only interior available (HVD Jet Black with Kalahari accents on AT4, HVH - Dark Walnut/Dark Ash Grey on Denali ).

Jet Black seems to be available on all most trims except AT4.. 

There is a long list of SEO colours -- which are the colours often seen on fleets - construction, national parks, etc etc. They need a a minimum number of vehicles before that will paint any of those colours. You MIGHT get lucky and be able to piggy back on a fleet order. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Some of the 'normal' colours are limited by trim level. (and chev/gmc often, but not always use a different name for the same paint code/colour)

Denali colours usually include at least one 'Denali only' colour 

Current Examples:

Brownstone Metallic     GNK  not available on AT4 or Denali. 

Hunter Metallic    GED  - only on Denali 

Shadow Gray Metallic  GJI - not available on HC

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat  G1W  -- not available  on 1WT, Custom or Custom Trail Boss models. 

'Normal' Colours are in the brochure

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/shopping-tools/download-catalog/02-pdf/2020-chevrolet-silverado-1500-catalog-v2.pdf

GMC has similar

Wait to long and you could run into restrictions on availability of options/trims etc for the balance of the MY.

Might be more restrictions than usual this year, since interior changes are expected for 2022 model.

• 1 month later...

It seems like things are getting constrained. I just put in an order for a Sierra Elevation recently and was told they couldn't put the order through with the 10 speed transmission. I missed the memo that they were stopping that in December but it's still available on the website when you go to build.....Next day I was told the spray in bedliner is keeping the order from being accepted so the dealership said they'll take care of it when it arrives. Now I was just told I can't have the standard tailgate or the order won't be accepted....Starting to think I may wait until the 22 model or maybe look at my second choice which was a Trailboss. 

18 minutes ago, Ryhno411 said:

It seems like things are getting constrained. I just put in an order for a Sierra Elevation recently and was told they couldn't put the order through with the 10 speed transmission. I missed the memo that they were stopping that in December but it's still available on the website when you go to build.....Next day I was told the spray in bedliner is keeping the order from being accepted so the dealership said they'll take care of it when it arrives. Now I was just told I can't have the standard tailgate or the order won't be accepted....Starting to think I may wait until the 22 model or maybe look at my second choice which was a Trailboss. 

Should be able to get the 10 speed with the LM2 on an elevation  ( SB2 version)

But not with a 5.3

Standard tailgate also shows available on SB2 elevation but not on 3VL elevation

3VL version seems to be a new order code as of Mar/8/21. 

It seems to have a long list of options not available that are available on the SB2 version'

(bedliner, standard tailgate, 10 speed/LM2 and many others are not available on 3VL version but are still available on the SB2 version)

Probably going to build a bunch of the SB2 version for a marketing campaign...