Silverado 2500 hd vs 3500 hd difference

I’m looking at 2017-19 Crew cab short bed duramax trucks what is the difference between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton srw? From what I’ve read the 1 tons have overload springs on the rear axle and 18” wheels is that the only difference between the two and the increase in payload and gvwr?

I’m looking at 2017-19 Crew cab short bed duramax trucks what is the difference between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton srw? From what I’ve read the 1 tons have overload springs on the rear axle and 18” wheels is that the only difference between the two and the increase in payload and gvwr?

Front torsion has a different part number. I’m pretty sure 1 ton came in 20” wheels as well in srw.

Badging is different as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well as suspension and gvwr differences:

2019 2500

AY0    Airbags, Crew Cab: Single-stage frontal airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Seat-mounted side-impact airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Head-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions; Double Cab and Regular Cab: Single-stage frontal airbag for driver; Dual-stage front airbag for front outboard passenger; Seat-mounted side-impact airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Head-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions; Includes front outboard Passenger Sensing System for frontal outboard passenger airbag
1 -  With (ZW9) pickup box delete on Double Cab and Regular Cab you will get the following: Single-stage frontal airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Seat-mounted side-impact airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Head-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions; Includes airbag deactivation switch for front outboard passenger airbag. Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information. Regular Cab models do not include rear seating positions. 

2019 3500

Standard: AK5    Airbags, Single-stage frontal airbags for driver and front outboard passenger

optional: AY0         Airbags, Single-stage frontal airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Seat-mounted side impact airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Head-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions

Tire pressure monitoring not available on '17 -'19 3500 except if it has C7A (which is only available on gas engine crewcab)

UJM    Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Tire Fill Alert on SRW models (does not apply to spare tire)
1 -  Included and only available with (C7A) 10,000 lb. (4536 kg) GVWR.

C7A         GVWR, 10,000 lbs. (4536 kg) with single rear wheels
1 -  Requires *35743 or C35943 models and (L96) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine or (LC8) 6.0L V8 SFI Gaseous CNG/LPG capable engine. Requires (AY0) single-stage airbags. 

There may be others.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, Lspoo19 said:

What is your intended use case?  

If its a diesel engine to tow, go with a 1 ton for the maximum possible amount of payload, especially with a big trailer or 5th wheel.  2500hd is hampered quite a bit with the diesel with payloads as low as 2100-2200lbs on a loaded up crew cab.  1 ton you will see payloads 2900-3500lbs crew cab diesel depending on trim.  

If you aren't towing big but still looking diesel, a 2500 will do it for you. 

One VERY important thing to look for on a 1 ton is the GVWR.  They did have the option to de-rate the GVWR on them to 10,000lbs.  It cuts the max payload a LOT, back down to 2500hd levels and was an option for "legal" reasons for businesses and DOT rules.    

Edited by newdude

On 2/21/2021 at 11:06 AM, Waaazooo said:

Front torsion has a different part number. I’m pretty sure 1 ton came in 20” wheels as well in srw.

Badging is different as well.

1 tons got only 18" wheels on SRW.  The wheel/tire package offered the most payload capacity for the ratings of the 1 tons.  2500hd got 17, 18 and 20 inch options.  

1 tons got only 18" wheels on SRW.  The wheel/tire package offered the most payload capacity for the ratings of the 1 tons.  2500hd got 17, 18 and 20 inch options.  

Not sure what all that means.

But the 2017 LTZ 3500 SRW had the same chrome star wheels as my 2017 LT C/S when I bought it in 2016. It was really nice brownish gray color.

Maybe they were Dealer installed?

14 hours ago, Waaazooo said:

Not sure what all that means.

But the 2017 LTZ 3500 SRW had the same chrome star wheels as my 2017 LT C/S when I bought it in 2016. It was really nice brownish gray color.

Maybe they were Dealer installed?

Yea, someone must have put them on it because they wanted 20"s.  The tires are rated for less weight that GM used.  17 inch and 20 inch were a 121 load index tire, the 18 inch was a 124 load index.  The load carrying ability of the 18 inch tire is hundreds of pounds higher per tire, hence why 1 tons only were built with 18 inch wheels.  On the new 2020+up, its 18 inch or 20 inch as the tires they picked for both are 125 and 126 load index.  

• Like 1

2017-2019 were all on the same chassis. 

Tires available on for 2019.  Only the 2500 has 20's available.

QHQ    Tires, LT245/75R17E all-season, blackwall    S       S       --   
QXT     Tires, LT265/70R17E all-terrain, blackwall    A       A       --   
QGM   Tires, LT265/70R18E all-terrain, blackwall
QWF         Tires, LT265/70R18E all-season, blackwall
QF2    Tires, LT275/65R18E 123/120Q maximum traction blackwall, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. Aggressive tread may result in a higher level of noise while driving. Routine tire rotations are strongly recommended.
QFC         Tires, LT265/60R20E all-terrain, blackwall

QWF    Tires, LT265/70R18E all-season, blackwall
QGM         Tires, LT265/70R18E all-terrain, blackwall
1 -  Requires single rear wheels. 
2 -  Requires single rear wheels. Included with (GAT) All Terrain HD Package.     A1    A1    A2
     QQO    Tires, LT235/80R17E all-season highway
1 -  Requires dual rear wheels.     S1    S1    S1
QZT         Tires, LT235/80R17E all-terrain
1 -  Requires dual rear wheels.

I appreciate all the responses I would use it for towing camper. Bumper pull atm but maybe 5th wheel in future. I’m just wondering if a 2500 with the overload springs on it are specd to a 3500 as far as gvwr and payload amounts about the same or close. The 2500 hd market is a lot more available than 3500. I understand the dot would probably not believe if that was the case and would question it all the way.

DOT, from what I understand, only cares about RAWR and tire rating. The tax man might care about GVWR because you didn’t pay enough tax for your loading. You’ll also read about how if you are over GVWR that your insurance won’t cover you in an accident and all that jazz. This is another internet lore and I’ve not seen a real example where his has happened (it may exist and hopefully someone with a link to a case will post it here). Last I checked, it’s illegal to speed, make an improper left turn, drink and drive, but coverage isn’t automatically denied. I suppose if you were way over loaded, to the point of gross negligence, you might be in trouble. Also, if you are at fault, you are at fault; doesn’t matter if you are over weight unless you were so overweight that it was a contributing factor in the accident then maybe there’s additional punishment or liability? And anyone can sue anyone, but contingency fee lawyers much rather go after insurance policies because they actually pay. Good luck getting a $500k+ judgement paid by Joe Schmo; garnish his $50k a year salary and renew the judgement every 7 years.  That’s how those big accident attorneys get rich. (Insert rolling eyes emoji to indicate sarcasm; lots of folks can’t detect sarcasm just by reading text). 

if you’re going fifth wheel, the 3500 setup is preferable. They are harder to find. The 2500’s are plenty capable. Just go to a campground and see what gets towed with a 2500 class truck of any brand. 

As a fellow RV'er, don't look at the campground. I can assure you every single toy hauler hooked to a diesel 2500 is over payload.

If a 5er is in your future, get the 3500 or a new body 2500 with higher payload. My 2019 Gasser does great, but my "Half-Ton" 5th wheel is light on the pin. My payload is 2570#, which isn't horrible, but it's not the 3k+ of the newer trucks. Better to get a bigger truck now so you're good on whatever you want later.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:26 PM, Lspoo19 said:

I appreciate all the responses I would use it for towing camper. Bumper pull atm but maybe 5th wheel in future. I’m just wondering if a 2500 with the overload springs on it are specd to a 3500 as far as gvwr and payload amounts about the same or close. The 2500 hd market is a lot more available than 3500. I understand the dot would probably not believe if that was the case and would question it all the way.

Legally per the weight tags on the door jamb, the payload, RGAWR and GVWR don't change if you had a 2500hd and added the 3500hd helper springs. 

In practically sense, yes it would equal it to a 3500hd from the factory.