Intermittent Unfolding Mirror Issue

2 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Last weekend, the problem got worse, now the driver's side mirror will NOT fold.  It moves about 1/64 of an inch and stops like it hit the extreme of the fold. 

Any solutions that I can do at home?  Not looking forward to replacing the mirror.

Any resistance when folding by hand? Assuming when you say the drivers side no longer folds, you are referrering to the fob and switch on the door.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:30 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Any resistance when folding by hand? Assuming when you say the drivers side no longer folds, you are referrering to the fob and switch on the door.

A lot of resistance, feel like I'm going to break something if I push on it any harder.  Yes, both FOB and door switch.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:07 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

A lot of resistance, feel like I'm going to break something if I push on it any harder.  Yes, both FOB and door switch.

They are stiff because of the gears; I would just force it and see what happens. You plan is to replace, so what do you have to lose. Maybe once it is free, it will finally align the gears again by doing the reset cycle 3 times.

• 3 weeks later...

When I locked my truck, at work, today, I inadvertently held the lock button too long, and BOTH MIRRORS FOLDED JUST FINE.  Mirrors are folding just fine now.  I don't get it, didn't do anything to them.  Was going to rip the driver's side apart and see if maybe one of the gears crapped out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

When I locked my truck, at work, today, I inadvertently held the lock button too long, and BOTH MIRRORS FOLDED JUST FINE.  Mirrors are folding just fine now.  I don't get it, didn't do anything to them.  Was going to rip the driver's side apart and see if maybe one of the gears crapped out.

The parking lot at your work is a magical place🤔😬???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

The parking lot at your work is a magical place🤔😬???

Last night, when I got home. mirror folding on driver's side was a "NO GO."  But it worked fine a little bit ago at the BK driver-thru.

I don't get it!!  Might still tear into it this weekend.

You might have a weak motor or bad connection. I'd open it up & clean connectors & see if you can lube moving parts.

Several videos on YouTube on these mirrors IIRC

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, rav3 said:

You might have a weak motor or bad connection. I'd open it up & clean connectors & see if you can lube moving parts.

Several videos on YouTube on these mirrors IIRC

I've been looking for how to videos, haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  Everything is coming up change the whole assembly, the glass or the caps. 

Often, it feels like a locking pin drops in and I can't even fold the mirror manually.  For a short while, it would work again, then I would have to pull/push on it when I pressed the fold button.  Now, it feels like it's locked out again.

2 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

I've been looking for how to videos, haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  Everything is coming up change the whole assembly, the glass or the caps. 

Often, it feels like a locking pin drops in and I can't even fold the mirror manually.  For a short while, it would work again, then I would have to pull/push on it when I pressed the fold button.  Now, it feels like it's locked out again.

https://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenparts-com-strengthened-spur-gear-for-2007-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/

There is a little difference between the generation shown and yours, read the description on Gruven's website.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, swathdiver said:

https://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenparts-com-strengthened-spur-gear-for-2007-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/

There is a little difference between the generation shown and yours, read the description on Gruven's website.

I actually stumbled across this one yesterday. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 1:05 AM, swathdiver said:

This, I swapped over to the brass gears a couple of years ago on my 2014 drivers side due to the plastic on being cracked and it's been working fine since.  Went ahead and ordered a spare set for the passenger side as there was a deal for buying both sides. The hardest part about getting the mirror off was pulling the plastic cap on the backside. I also only fold in the mirrors now when in a tight parking spot whereas I used to do it almost everyday multiple times.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 3:10 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

My driver's side mirror has intermittent issues with unfolding when I unlock my truck, and even if I try to get it to unfold with the interior button, it takes a few tries to get it to move.

Anyone else?  Anyone know what's causing it?

Went on a "working vacation" to Ft. Worth, a couple weeks ago, when I got home and drove to work the next day, I noticed that this situation got worse, neither mirror will fold AND the drivers mirror hesitates (like it's binding, several times) on the tilt for reverse.  🤬  BUT on the bright side, my puddle lights still work. (pun intended)

Edited by Ravenkeeper
  • Like 1

In November the passenger side mirror on both pickups quit folding within days of each other.  I bought a set or ready to go gears and motors from Gruven and hopefully we'll get them installed by the weekend.

Edited by swathdiver
  • Like 1