So, the wife has really caught the camping/rv bug.

That being said, we bought a new Jayco 33ft travel trailer at 7,000 pounds. Of course it will be more than that after loaded. Prolly 8k pounds all said and done maybe 8500, just not sure. At any rate, we hauled it home with my 2019 5.3 and although she is rated for 12k? She was or at least felt like she was working to do it. So, I'm going to look at a 2021 2500 6.6 gas 401hp 474tq?

Am I gonna notice a big difference in ease of pulling do yall think? I would love to have a Duramax but, its just out of my league.  I'm just hoping that the 6.6 gas is worth it.....

You'll be fine with the 6.6 gas 2500HD. The stability, braking, etc is what you'll notice the most. For reference, I had a 2500HD with that engine and pulled our 42' 15k 5th wheel very well. The engine revved when it needed to, but nothing unexpected. It never got me in a situation where I felt it couldn't keep up. That's the main thing. 

• Like 1

2500's have cheaper registration, higher resale (most SRW 3500's are used commercially and depreciate faster), most common HD vehicle that folks look for,  most GM's are the exact same truck minus the upper overload spring, and when I ordered mine in 2012 extended cab short bed was not an option on 3500.

• Like 1

Interesting. Where I live it’s actually cheaper to insure a 1 ton. They charge a 2% luxury tax on the purchase of a 3/4 ton here also for some reason. Previous province I lived in they went by gvw so it didn’t matter between the 2. I always just ran a 3/4 ton Dmax before and it did what I needed. 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:00 PM, L8T said:

Just curious as to why so many in the US buy the 2500 instead of the 3500? Not much price difference so can’t be that. 

Is there much difference in the ride, just cruising around empty? 

I have a '21 GMC 3500. I came from an '06 2500 silverado, which I thought had a good ride for a 2500. I personally think this 3500 rides better than the '06 2500 empty. It is definitely a stiff suspension, but it rides surprisingly well. My cousin-in-law is my salesman at the dealership and he told me there is hardly a difference in ride quality between the 2500 and 3500. I didn't drive a 2500 when I bought this one, I just took his word for it because there wasn't any 2500's on the lot at that time. A few different threads on here talk about not being able to tell much of a difference between the two on test drives. I lowered the air pressures in the tires for driving around empty and that helped a lot. I expect it to ride like a truck and not a car so to me it rides really nice for a truck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. There’s no difference in ride quality. The only difference between the two suspensions is the rear overload spring. And, if the truck is empty there’s no contact with the overload spring. My 2021 3500HD rides about the same as my 2019 Trail Boss; perhaps a little firmer on some surfaces which I actually prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds good guys!

I'll pick up my new 2500 Custom tomorrow. 

Gonna be the same Northsky Blue as my 19 1500 was. I really like that color.

But, was really suprised they did away with the Cajun Red Tincoat. 

On 2/26/2021 at 6:27 PM, kenny_r said:

The difference is in the handling. I went from a 5.3 6 speed to a 2500hd 6.0 and it was night and day. I think it’s like shotgun said, you hear the engine working but it doesn’t translate that through the rest of the truck. Not sure if that makes sense.

Sure makes sense to me. 

That 2500 has more beef 😀

On 2/25/2021 at 6:26 AM, MacLaren said:

So, the wife has really caught the camping/rv bug.

That being said, we bought a new Jayco 33ft travel trailer at 7,000 pounds. Of course it will be more than that after loaded. Prolly 8k pounds all said and done maybe 8500, just not sure. At any rate, we hauled it home with my 2019 5.3 and although she is rated for 12k? She was or at least felt like she was working to do it. So, I'm going to look at a 2021 2500 6.6 gas 401hp 474tq?

Am I gonna notice a big difference in ease of pulling do yall think? I would love to have a Duramax but, its just out of my league.  I'm just hoping that the 6.6 gas is worth it.....

If you have found a truck, see if the dealer will let you do an overnight test drive.

Don't tell them, but hook up your trailer, taking it easy of course out of respect, and see how it does. Will give you a chance to see how it drives compared to your 1500 both towing and by itself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

If you have found a truck, see if the dealer will let you do an overnight test drive.

Don't tell them, but hook up your trailer, taking it easy of course out of respect, and see how it does. Will give you a chance to see how it drives compared to your 1500 both towing and by itself.

I had thought of that. But, I already sold my 1500

Honestly, I have little doubt that it'll be a lot better.  But, I will keep ya posted.